SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Redfish

Cash: 648
Default Sour Tit's Chicken

I fired up the Big Green Egg for dinner tonight. Did a chicken spatchcocked style and turned it into my Sour Tit's Chicken. Seasoned it with some Dizzy Pig "Shakin the Tree" seasoning and cooked it indirect at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Threw in some soaked Mesquite Chips before adding the chicken. This was the best chicken I have ever eaten!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G00047-20100929-1722.jpg (129.1 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg G00049-20100929-1725.jpg (114.0 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg G00052-20100929-1900.jpg (86.2 KB, 211 views)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,830

Never tried "Shakin the tree" sseasoning but you can't beat some chicken smoked with mesquite....I smoke 3 or 4 at a time and freeze the leftovers.

Where did you get that seasoning. I'm always trying different rubs and seasonings....

Oh yea.....the chicken looks awesome. I have never spatch cocked one but everyone says the smoke penetrates even better. I will try that next time I smoke....
Old 09-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 789

Is the green egg worth it? I've been looking at them, seems like they would be perfect pulled pork... etc...
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

my buddy has a Green Egg and it is awesome, but me personally I think your better off with the MES if you are using it strictly for smoking due to more smoking room but that green egg is amazing as afar as a grill and smoker just can't smoke a lot at one time
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 980

Smoked chickens (de-boned) + smoked sausage = great ingrediants for one good gumbo.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Never tried "Shakin the tree" sseasoning but you can't beat some chicken smoked with mesquite....I smoke 3 or 4 at a time and freeze the leftovers.

Where did you get that seasoning. I'm always trying different rubs and seasonings....

Oh yea.....the chicken looks awesome. I have never spatch cocked one but everyone says the smoke penetrates even better. I will try that next time I smoke....
Blue Chip I by the Dizzy Pig Seasoning from Chim Chimineys in League City. They are one of the largest Green Egg distributersin Texas and are some of the best people you will ever meet. Dizzy Pig is real big with the Egghead crowd. They have a website you can go to and order. I would recommend buying one of each. Trust me you will find a use for them. Another good rub that alot of people talk about and I have not tried yet is John Henrys Pecan Rub. When you spatchcock a chicken it speeds up the cooking process and remains whole which keeps in the jucies. This was my first and will be the only way I do a whole chicken now.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,830

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosska View Post
Blue Chip I by the Dizzy Pig Seasoning from Chim Chimineys in League City. They are one of the largest Green Egg distributersin Texas and are some of the best people you will ever meet. Dizzy Pig is real big with the Egghead crowd. They have a website you can go to and order. I would recommend buying one of each. Trust me you will find a use for them. Another good rub that alot of people talk about and I have not tried yet is John Henrys Pecan Rub. When you spatchcock a chicken it speeds up the cooking process and remains whole which keeps in the jucies. This was my first and will be the only way I do a whole chicken now.
Thanks for the info...
Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinions_Vary View Post
Is the green egg worth it? I've been looking at them, seems like they would be perfect pulled pork... etc...
I asked myself the same question and could not seem to justify purchasing one. My wife saw that I really wanted one and surprised me with it on father’s day. I can tell you now that if it got stolen tonight I would be buying another one first thing in the AM. It depends on the type of cook you are though. If you just like to grill on the gasser and have no desire to do a low and slow cook, experiment with different woods on different meats, and tinker with settings and temps. You will probably be better off with your gas grill. Here is a pic of how I use my gas grill now (storage). We are obviously people who read forums and one of the best things is the Big Green Egg forum (www.eggheadforum.com). It is really cool because there is a ton of info and everyone has the same pit so you can follow a recipe or cook and get the exact same result as someone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00057-20100929-1904.jpg (58.0 KB, 146 views)
Old 09-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
my buddy has a Green Egg and it is awesome, but me personally I think your better off with the MES if you are using it strictly for smoking due to more smoking room but that green egg is amazing as afar as a grill and smoker just can't smoke a lot at one time
I just purchased what is called the Adjustable Rig for my egg to give me more room for the big cooks. Here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sg3-6a.jpg (15.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg sg3-7a.jpg (16.0 KB, 142 views)
File Type: png ARQDBL_3.png (146.5 KB, 142 views)