SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default Motor dying after take off....

Noticed especially in summertime that when fishing a spot for maybe an hour or so, when taking off my motor dies and I have to go to the back and pump the gas bulb a few times because it is soft and isn't pumping the gas into the motor I suppose. Seems to only be while I'm fishing, and only after we've been sitting a while....any thoughts or suggestions as to what's happening?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Do you have a fuel/water separator? Could be an air bubble/loss of pressure there. Also make sure your primer bulb is in good shape or it wont continue to get fuel.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,679

Had the same issue changed out the primer bulb and it fixed the problem also check for air leaks
Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Check UR fuel. Mine did same thing... This was resultImageUploadedByTapatalk1372030649.655237.jpg
Old 06-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Probably a hole in fuel line. When it's hot the line expands and when you hit it the whole is large enough to suck air and once you prime again it has a good enough flow not to kill.

"Its Just a Ride "
Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

ETHANOL vapor lock
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Default Ok....

Thanks for the suggestions....easiest thing to try first I suppose is to change the fuel bulb....Clampy, when you said fuel line are you talking about the part with the bulb that goes straight to the motor? I don't think it's fuel quality problems....I've been running 93 octane with Yamalube that has the ethanol treatment....I also add Stabil for good measure. I do have a fuel separator.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Yeah sounds like a crack in the bulb to me.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Sailfish

Change the bulb. Check hoses that link into your fuel water seperator. Check anti siphon valve on pick up tube for corrosion or damages in Ball chk.Then pu tube for trash. There's a fuel line that should run(on most motors) under the hot part of engine linking bulb to main fuel lines going to motor. They should have heat wrAp on em which may halter you from seeing the leak. What I did when I bought my bulb I bought the one with a long hose and cut some off and replaced that line with the excess hose.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Ling

Yeah. I'm talking about your lines going into either side of the bulb. Could be crack in bulb itself. Or right where the bulb goes in the line after a while it gets big and can suck air. Just cut a inch or so off either side of bulb if its lose and refit it.

"Its Just a Ride "
Old 06-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderNI View Post
Thanks for the suggestions....easiest thing to try first I suppose is to change the fuel bulb....Clampy, when you said fuel line are you talking about the part with the bulb that goes straight to the motor? I don't think it's fuel quality problems....I've been running 93 octane with Yamalube that has the ethanol treatment....I also add Stabil for good measure. I do have a fuel separator.
I had the exact problem and searched forever. Even drained fuel, put new hoses, changed filters 2 bulbs, and had all but given up. Searched on the internet and read a bunch of stories of several people having the same issue. It seems on some engines especially suzuki and some models of yamaha have this problem after running a while and when you stop and fish for a while the fuel gets hot and causes a vapor lock in the injection system. The easiest way to diagnose this is when you stop dont just kill the motor but let it idle a couple minutes and the engine is cooler when you stop it, and doesnt heat up the fuel as bad.
Also the articles claim ethanol treated (stabil) or not has a lower (boiling) point than real gas. I am not saying this is your problem but if it is you can find out quicker than me! Ethanol free fuel completely cured mine. After countless hours fighting for a cure it was so simple. Suzuki offers a fix for this in the form of a low pressure fuel pump. Hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 621

Wow. I have the exact same problem. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

I have a filter and jar of fuel in my shop that my mechanic gave me from my last boat to show me what stabil does to ethanol gas. When the stabil breaks down the ethanol it makes a bunch of white particles that will clog up your fuel system. His recommendation was ethanol free fuel only.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Guys - I can not stress enough how bad ethanol is to marine engines. But I have stopped the fight of looking for ethanol free stations since they are getting fewer apart all the time. I also do not like the reports I get from marine mechanincs about Stabil. I run Yamaha Ring Free in my boat and only purchase Chevron gas with Techron. It is 10% Ethanol!!!!

However, I invested in a 12v fuel pump that has a short wire with aligator clips. After the boat has been sitting for 4-5 weeks without any use, I pull my vehicles to the boat. A simple 2 minute hook up and I have the suction line of the fuel pump attached to the suction line of the fuel system and viola' - instant gas station. This way, the fuel fromt he boat is transfered to the vehicles we own and consumed. Fresh gas is the answer to the worlds marine problems!!!!!!! Also comes in handy when we have a hurricane coming. Fill up the boat and I have an extra 80 gallons of unleaded gasoline to help with generators running my freezers and window AC. Knock on wood, I have had absolutely no fuel issues by using this method of insuring all the fuel in my boat is used in a timely fashion. The longer the fuel stays in your boat, the longer it is drawing moisture from the atmosphere.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Guys - I can not stress enough how bad ethanol is to marine engines. But I have stopped the fight of looking for ethanol free stations since they are getting fewer apart all the time. I also do not like the reports I get from marine mechanincs about Stabil. I run Yamaha Ring Free in my boat and only purchase Chevron gas with Techron. It is 10% Ethanol!!!!

However, I invested in a 12v fuel pump that has a short wire with aligator clips. After the boat has been sitting for 4-5 weeks without any use, I pull my vehicles to the boat. A simple 2 minute hook up and I have the suction line of the fuel pump attached to the suction line of the fuel system and viola' - instant gas station. This way, the fuel fromt he boat is transfered to the vehicles we own and consumed. Fresh gas is the answer to the worlds marine problems!!!!!!! Also comes in handy when we have a hurricane coming. Fill up the boat and I have an extra 80 gallons of unleaded gasoline to help with generators running my freezers and window AC. Knock on wood, I have had absolutely no fuel issues by using this method of insuring all the fuel in my boat is used in a timely fashion. The longer the fuel stays in your boat, the longer it is drawing moisture from the atmosphere.
Wow. U are a smart man. Good idea
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post

That's pretty damn smart Brian!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Not to hyjack the thread - I will post some pics of the set up when I get time tonight on a new thread.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Default More good posts...

thanks guys.....I actually had asked my Yamaha mechanic at Trails Yamaha in Henderson about using ethanol-free gas.....he said it was worse than the ethanol gas because it didn't have a high enough octane. He recommended a good 93-octane fuel from Shell or a similar high quality company and add the Yamalube Ring Free with fuel treatment. It's not cheap though between $45-$50 for a 32-oz bottle!
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Ling

And does he sell this fuel treatment ? I bet he does. That's the only person I know who advocated ethanol fuel.

"Its Just a Ride "
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderNI View Post
thanks guys.....I actually had asked my Yamaha mechanic at Trails Yamaha in Henderson about using ethanol-free gas.....he said it was worse than the ethanol gas because it didn't have a high enough octane. He recommended a good 93-octane fuel from Shell or a similar high quality company and add the Yamalube Ring Free with fuel treatment. It's not cheap though between $45-$50 for a 32-oz bottle!
He is one of the best mechanics in our area. First class guy.