Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default any Suzuki mechanics out there?

any Suzuki mechanics out there?

I need help taking out the PTT relays on a 2002 DF40, I got a replacement set but the Suzuki service manual doesn't show anything about how to get to and remove them from the mounting brackets, it just shows where the wires go.

don't want to tear everything apart if I don't need to and I cant see how to even get to see where they are attatched
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Here ya go, every part on that motor in a blow up parts diagram:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Su...F40/parts.html
Old 04-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Here ya go, every part on that motor in a blow up parts diagram:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Su...F40/parts.html
thanks but that's no help at all, I have the parts manual with all the parts diagrams and the service repair manual that shows how to rebuild the engine and troubleshoot everything but no where does it say how to get to the PTT relays to replace them but it does say how to check them.

I have replacement relays sitting on my desk right now but I cant see how the old ones are even accessed much less replaced.

at this point I am thinking the motors side cover and the entire electrical harness needs to be removed along with the electrical box and ECM module unbolted from the engine. but I cant believe you have to strip the motor bare just to replace the PTT relays so that's why im asking for a mechanics help and tips on how to do it.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Red Snapper

any Suzuki mechanics out there?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Red Snapper

ok, I finally found the info I needed at another website.

the electrical box needs to be cleared out first and the wiring harness partially removed and tied back out of the way before the relays can be removed and you still cant see how to remove them you just have to pry them out and they will eventually slip loose from the plastic tabs holding it or the rubber mounting boot will tear loose to release it but it takes some force to remove them.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Good luck with this repair.

Remember.....putting it back together is usually much harder. Take lots of picture while taking it a part.....this could save you lots of headaches when putting back together.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
ok, I finally found the info I needed at another website.

the electrical box needs to be cleared out first and the wiring harness partially removed and tied back out of the way before the relays can be removed and you still cant see how to remove them you just have to pry them out and they will eventually slip loose from the plastic tabs holding it or the rubber mounting boot will tear loose to release it but it takes some force to remove them.
I have a Suzuki dt225 and know that thing like the back of my hand. Knowing they aren't the same maybe I can shed some light. My relays aren't hidden they are under the mass wiring underneath a plastic cover. Post a pic of the relays. The motors have to be wired somewhat similar

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Red Snapper

well I can easily see the relays, its the tabs that hold them in place that I cant see so I didn't know how to remove them and didn't want to go pulling all sorts of stuff apart if I didn't need to.

I know the power cross bar and wiring all needs to be removed from them but after that its so dang tight in there it doesn't even look like the relays can come out except from pulling straight out yet on the replacement relays that I have, the tabs come in from the side (either front or rear) 90* yet I cant see how there is enough room for them to move like that in that tight little recessed pocket they sit in.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Sailfish

Ok . Mine do the same. I had to get in it with one finger and slide them up and out. Now, on one of mine I ended up breaking a tab but I just slid it back in place where it was. Do yours have rubber around them?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Red Snapper

here are the pictures:

I don't know if you can see it but in the last picture up close the relays are recessed into a round cup like area barely as big as the relay body and I see no visible means of connection that holds them in place.

I bought a used set of relays off of a Suzuki 90 or 115 (I think) and those look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/suzuki-150hp...caadd9&vxp=mtr

my relays are part #38410-94551 and #38410-94552

Last edited by keakar; 04-17-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Sailfish

First of all. Follow that pink wire from the relay down to where you can see it in the pic u took. Is that wire stripped and showing metal? Second, I looked at that exact pic online trying to research to help. I notice that pink wire goes to relay. Check that pink wire out in yur pic. Thing looks bad!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
here are the pictures:

I don't know if you can see it but in the last picture up close the relays are recessed into a round cup like area barely as big as the relay body and I see no visible means of connection that holds them in place.

I bought a used set of relays off of a Suzuki 90 or 115 (I think) and those look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/suzuki-150hp...caadd9&vxp=mtr

my relays are part #38410-94551 and #38410-94552
You may have to remove the wires off the relay but look behind the relay there may be a small bracket with just enough room to fit a bolt on each side of the bracket then it'll come off

Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
You may have to remove the wires off the relay but look behind the relay there may be a small bracket with just enough room to fit a bolt on each side of the bracket then it'll come off

but there is no behind the relay, it sits in a cup like a beer cuzy

the pink wire is ok, it just looks that way because its scorched from the ground wire that melted, some idiot (me) forgot to disconnect the battery and when I tighten the nut on the relay the lead turned and touched the main power bar which is why it has extra tape on it now because the grey sleeve on it melted too. I ohmed it out to be sure and the pink wire is in perfect shape it just has some of the ground wire melted onto it discoloring it. the ground wire was black and I replaced it with the white #10 wire you see in the pictures. there is a;lso a small scorch mark on the blue wire where it goes into the top relay but its just flash scorched.

I also checked the relay plugs under the ecm module and they are all clean and tight with no oxidation or corrosion.

I swaped the green and blue leads and it still goes up but not down "sometimes". this happens with the control switch or the remote switch so I have rulled out the switches and I also ran a new battery wire for other reasons so that's been eliminated and I disconnected all connections to find everything was clean and no corrosion so I ruled out bad connections.

I ohmed the relays and haven't found a problem so all I can think of is one of the relays is making enough contact to see contact and read voltage but not allow amperages to flow which happens with relay contacts sometimes.

I have fairy decent mechanical background and good electrical troubleshooting background after 35 years fixing a/c units so im capable to do anything you suggest but I think I covered all the bases short of replacement of the relays so I bought the used ones to limit my outlay of money in case that's not it.

also I bought a brand new $1200 PTT assembly for the motor last year thinking the motor was going out and that was the problem but obviously that wasn't the problem.

Last edited by keakar; 04-18-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Sailfish

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397797508.510673.jpgthis pic shows the brackets well.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 AM
Red Snapper

cant say mines not like that but I sure didn't see anything like that on mine. the way they mount on the side definitely looks the same.

does the plastic box need to come off to get to the nuts for these bolts? and what do they bolt to? just the plastic box?

i'll strip the box of everything tomorrow if the weather allows and then see if I can see a bracket in there, if not im just going to start cutting the rubber until it comes free since I have extra rubber mounts on the other relays.

Last edited by keakar; 04-18-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Sailfish

Do both relays click when you trim up n down?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Sailfish

You also have a tilt limit switch located on the steering cable/tilt tube. That very well could be your break in the circuit. You can probably take the light blue leads splice em together to bypass the switch to troubleshoot it then if it works, replace the switch. Easy way to troubleshoot it by splicing the blue leads together. The switch is adjustable

Old 04-18-2014, 12:55 AM
Sailfish

Let us know what u gind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397800494.610812.jpg (41.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Let us know what u gind
will do but it looks like I got volunteered to do other things today so maybe this evening or tomorrow I can get after this gremlin
Old 04-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Sailfish

Oh me 2. I'm yard boy today. Trim bushes, cut, weedeat, move plants, and multch