SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379
Default Arkansas Timber hunts

Does anyone have any experience with hunting some timber in Arkansas? A few buddies and I are looking at making a trip this year just for something different. Was wondering on any experience on some potential public lands up there or an outfit that would do a self guided hunt. We found plenty of self guided field hunting but some mallards falling into the timbers would be even better!
Old 07-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by paublo25 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with hunting some timber in Arkansas? A few buddies and I are looking at making a trip this year just for something different. Was wondering on any experience on some potential public lands up there or an outfit that would do a self guided hunt. We found plenty of self guided field hunting but some mallards falling into the timbers would be even better!
If you got the boat, the cache river is good public land, the white river is good. I have been to both and they have produced well. I have had better hunts on the cache but thats just me. Also, focus more on the northeast part of the state.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Flounder

Cash: 785

I've hunted bayou meto with some guys when I was in school and had some really great hunts. I'd strongly recommend going there. It's also close to Stuttgart. One thing to know about public land is you can only hunt natural openings in the tress and can't make man made ones. Also, you will need a day or two to scout, most have horsepower restrictions on the motors you can use too. The white river is good hunting but it depends on the right conditions and water depth.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:11 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,213

Hunted in Dewitt with Duck Guides Inc. last December for 4 days. Each day was a different adventure. Had 3 great hunts out of 4. Would've been 4 of 4 if it hadn't got to 7 degrees one night. Those greenies dropping down through those trees is something to see.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Trophy Trout

I'll have to check them out. We do have a boat so we could go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Flounder

Cash: 641

Two important things to know about do it yourself timber hunting in Arkansas this year. First, Arkansas Game and Fish will not be flooding state WMAs for the early part of the season this year. (I think they wont start flooding until their 3rd split but I cant remember) This is their attempt to better manage the timber on the state owned WMAs which has been in decline. Unless these areas are flooded naturally they will be dry most of the season. Second, in an attempt to address concerns by residents about nonresidents taking over public hunting areas, Arkansas is considering implementing a policy where you can only buy a 5 day nonresident permit to hunt WMAs. The permit is supposed to be both date and WMA specific meaning you cant hunt multiple WMAs at the same time. I don't know if the 5 day thing has passed but I know the late flooding happens the 2017-2018 season.

Just my 2 cents.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 07-13-2017, 02:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know that was happening but will def go over that with my buddies.