SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default I hate these things!

My youngest son had another battle this weekend w/ a sting ray. In the past two years, he seems to be a magnet for these things. I don't know why, but they seem to find him and nobody else. He loves fighting them, and runs like a little girl once I get them in the boat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dularge 034.jpg (89.4 KB, 158 views)
Old 06-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

im the same way with hardheads!! everybody around me can be limiting out but i manage to catch hardheads?? (when i soak livies)
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

scares me knowing i wade all around those things without rayguards
Old 06-14-2009, 08:52 PM
King Mackeral

We were actually wading when he hooked this one. He was 15 yds from me, yelled at me that he stepped on a ray, and I was able to see the ray swim off, then 30 seconds later he is hooked up w/ this one after casting the opposite way the first one swam off. I went back to the boat with him to deal with it. We usually see them in the water at the islands before we step on them, but the water has been a little stained this year and we didn't see these.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 PM
King Mackeral

On another note, if anyone ever gets stung by a ray, jelly fish, or hardhead, do not use ice on the wound. That will only increase the pain. I know this goes against everything your parents did when you grew up, but you will just have to trust me. After 13 years as a paramedic, heat will give almost immediate relief to the wound area. Now, I know nobody carries a microwave on their boat to heat up some water, but I carry the heat packs used during hunting season to keep your hands warm. These little things have saved many trips when someone gets popped by a jelly fish or hardhead. I also carry a kit with suture material and Lidocaine vials w/ syringes which makes hook removals and minor lacerations an easy fix out in the field. Hope this helps, and remember - failing to prepare is preparing for failure!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default heat works

The hottest water you can stand is the best pain reliever. I saved a bunch of the heating paks out of MRI kits they heat water well.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

what is the best procedure after getting hit? straight to hospital or can you shake it off?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
On another note, if anyone ever gets stung by a ray, jelly fish, or hardhead, do not use ice on the wound. That will only increase the pain. I know this goes against everything your parents did when you grew up, but you will just have to trust me. After 13 years as a paramedic, heat will give almost immediate relief to the wound area. Now, I know nobody carries a microwave on their boat to heat up some water, but I carry the heat packs used during hunting season to keep your hands warm. These little things have saved many trips when someone gets popped by a jelly fish or hardhead. I also carry a kit with suture material and Lidocaine vials w/ syringes which makes hook removals and minor lacerations an easy fix out in the field. Hope this helps, and remember - failing to prepare is preparing for failure!

i got a hook shoved pretty far in my hand (all was sticking out was the straight part) anyways, went to the e.r and i asked if he was gunna numb it or pull the barb out the other side and cut the barb, he said the best was is just too..he didnt finish his sentence, instead he ripped it clean out of my hand. so your boy stepped on it? dang thats gotta hurt.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 811

I beet them with a metal rod we have in the boat
Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 650

I don't know how true this is I heard meat tenderizer will help relieve some of the pain, this came from my older brother who has been known to be full of sh%^. I'm gonna do some research and see what other people do.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:25 AM
King Mackeral

LAAngler, if you start to develope any kind of shortness of breath, itching, or hives, it is imperative to seek immediate emergency care. These are indications of anaphalaxis (allerigic reaction) and an cause some serious problems w/ airway constriction, simialr to a bee sting. This is very, very rare, most just have extreme localized pain w/ swelling and redness. The heat opens capilliaries to increase blood flow to the area, while ice consrticts those same vessels for the opposite effect.

To answer your question, no a trip to the er is not necessary if you are prepared to handle the incident. A little first aid on the boat is all that is needed. Some people do not handle pain well and do need to go in, just remember everyone is different, so what works for one - may not work on the next person.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 AM
King Mackeral

eman - great tip on the heater units from MRE's!

I think I will put together a list of what I carry on my boats medic kit if ya'll want to take a look. I got some off the wall crap that I may nnever need, but it's their. I did have some tounge depressers offshore one day when a friend fell on the deck. My wife never knew why I had them until I splinted the guys finger which was pointing the wrong way! He was able to take some Tylenol and made the day once it was splinted using the tounge depressors. Go figure!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Tripletail

I did check with a few on line Med sights, Heat will help bleak down the venom which is Protien based that's why the heat can break it down, over the counter pain meds. I some case higher dose pain meds.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Sand Trout

just get the hot water from your motor.. in other words, pee on it.. ... from the motor..