SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,515
FlagUS What say we sponsor a family for Christmas?

What do y'all think about SaltyCajun sponsoring a deserving family or two that has fallen on hard times for Christmas? It would entail collecting some gifts for children and/or funds to present to the parents to help with gifts and expenses. There are a lot of folks going through some serious hardships what with the economy being what it has for the last few years. Does anybody know of a family that can really use some help? Feel free to send me a PM with info if you don't want to post it publicly.

Also, please post up if you are willing to step up and help out in some capacity. If there is enough interest in doing this, we'll get it going.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,810

My plate is pretty full this month but I am willing to donate some cash for the cause.....
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Just let me know what you have in mind and I would be more than happy to help if I'm not offshore and or I'll pitch in anyway I can, this is a great idea for a great cause!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

I'm in. Just let me know
Old 12-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

how about sponsor a college student for christmas..

j/k Ill help out if i can
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Just let me know
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,470

I'm in, let me know what I can do.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 657

I am willing to help in some kind of way.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Westerly neighbor

For those who wish to donate cash, you can send a PayPal to admin@saltycajun.com . I'll post up a total amount collected each day that I receive a donation (assuming I get online that evening). Anyone who donates $25 or more will get a free month of premium membership, $50 or more will get the same plus a sticker when we get the new ones printed, and $100 or more also gets you a SC t-shirt when they are available.

Now I just need y'all's help to find a couple deserving families.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

The Buccaneers went to raid a Christmas party for the special needs people in Calcasieu Parish tonight to hand out beads and dabloons. We were surprised, there were around 800 to 1000 of them in the Habibi Temple tonight.
I gave out 2 gross' of beads and several hundred dbloons. My wife cried almost the whole time we were in there. She couldn't believe how many special needs people there were in this parish. There were probably several that were not there either.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Let's make it so number 1!
i'm in
Old 12-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

cOUnt me in
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437
Default Poor Man's

Are you the same Paul Myers that hunted Poor Man's Hunting Club a few years back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
I'm in, let me know what I can do.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadMan View Post
For those who wish to donate cash, you can send a PayPal to admin@saltycajun.com . I'll post up a total amount collected each day that I receive a donation (assuming I get online that evening). Anyone who donates $25 or more will get a free month of premium membership, $50 or more will get the same plus a sticker when we get the new ones printed, and $100 or more also gets you a SC t-shirt when they are available.

Now I just need y'all's help to find a couple deserving families.
are we planning on giving the families cash to buy presents with, pay bills ect?? or are we gonnna use thecash and shad buy the gifts for the kids ect... IMO i think we need to give actual gifts for the kids to make sure thry have a memorable xmass.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:15 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,300

How will the families be chosen and where are they at?

The fire departmetn is getting with a local church and putting food/gift baskets together.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfarmer View Post
Are you the same Paul Myers that hunted Poor Man's Hunting Club a few years back.
Not that I know of. Where is Poor Man's Hunting Club?
Old 12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

As far as sponsoring a family, I think it's a great idea but don't believe cash is not the way to go. We had a deal back home where we brought them a hot meal with presents on Christmas Eve. It made me cry on more than one occasion. We once showed up at a house, the name given by our home county and, the man was heating up hot dogs on the stove for the Christmas dinner. There was no tree. There was no presents. A teacher across the street had told us of the situation of a single father raising his three kids. Times get tight.... The look on those 3 kids faces when we showed up, Santa in tow, with everything they needed for a REAL Christmas, was irreplacable!(SP?)

My wife and I are already sponsoring a senior citizen through the church this year but, if there is anything I can do, you know I'm on board! It's a little tight now, but, what you gonna take with ya when you're gone?...Not a dime!

God Bless and I hope we can get on board with donations enough to cater to more than one family's needs! I don't care where the families are located. There are families all across our great nation that deserve a great Christmas that won't have one if it's not for people like us that can provide it!

Donation sent.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Not that I know of. Where is Poor Man's Hunting Club?
Jackson Louisiana. If you don't know where it is, it must be a different Paul Myers. Hunted with him years ago.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfarmer View Post
Jackson Louisiana. If you don't know where it is, it must be a different Paul Myers. Hunted with him years ago.
Nope, Wasn't me especially if the hunting was any good! The last deer I kilt was near Fort McKavett, Tx. like 25~30 years ago. I've been hunting since then, just haven't kilt nothing.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Westerly neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
are we planning on giving the families cash to buy presents with, pay bills ect?? or are we gonnna use thecash and shad buy the gifts for the kids ect... IMO i think we need to give actual gifts for the kids to make sure thry have a memorable xmass.
I would lean towards buying gifts instead of giving cash, but I'm open to whatever we all decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
How will the families be chosen and where are they at?

The fire departmetn is getting with a local church and putting food/gift baskets together.
This is also up to y'all. Let me know if you know of any families in need. It'll be a LA family, but where depends on your suggestions. If we gey enough money pooled up, we may be able to help 2 or 3 families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
As far as sponsoring a family, I think it's a great idea but don't believe cash is not the way to go. We had a deal back home where we brought them a hot meal with presents on Christmas Eve. It made me cry on more than one occasion. We once showed up at a house, the name given by our home county and, the man was heating up hot dogs on the stove for the Christmas dinner. There was no tree. There was no presents. A teacher across the street had told us of the situation of a single father raising his three kids. Times get tight.... The look on those 3 kids faces when we showed up, Santa in tow, with everything they needed for a REAL Christmas, was irreplacable!(SP?)

Donation sent.
That sounds really cool! I'd definitely be interested in doing something similar...bringing Christmas to a family that wouldn't otherwise have one. Thanks for the donation!

So far I've received $75 to go towards this and Billy has offered up a rod to auction off. When I have pictures and more info I'll post it up and we'll get the auction started.