SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
The trooper arrived 35 minutes later and got onto me for helping and threatened to write me a ticket for hindering an investigation. He told me he could arrest me for something else. I told him I was just helping.

I don't think the trooper could have ticketed you for anything unless you would have moved the vehicle or taken something from the occupants of the vehicle to hide it for them.

Our department is strictly volunteer and we often have bystanders on scene before we arrive helping and have never had a trooper get cross with anyone willing to help. Usually he questions the witnesses that stopped to help and lets them on their way after getting a statement.

Kudos to you stopping to help the lady until fire/medical arrived.

Warren
Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 10,458

Quote:
im 27; not looking for a career change, but i live on a dangerous rd and sometimes find myself in situations on where I feel the need to help.
I totally understand and tip my hat to you for what you did,if a career in this doesn't intrest you then you shoul join a VFD and get some training through them.Good Luck
Old 01-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

he never took my information. He said " you seen the accident" ?, I let him know exactly what happened (deer jumping in front of her and her locking the car up) He then told me that I saved her a ticket and I (trooper) could give you (me) a ticket for hindering a vehicular crash investigation and there was something else that i cant recall. I wanna say it was providing aide w/o proper identification ??? Not sure. I just thought he was being a ****head and throwing out his ego. Im just glad i was able to help what little I did and that the lady was ok.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

I know it's not all of them but I have to say there are always troopers out there who don't see eye to eye not only with bystanders but also other emergency agencies..... In my experience as long as the trooper can write a few tickets and not get his shiny shoes muddy they won't mess with you. Again I know its not all but there are definitely a few out there!
Like Matt said it is a great feeling to help and to be involved in your community and a VFD is a great way to do that. There is great training opportunities out there for the volunteers. You just need to take the initiative to go after the training.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Great White

are there any tests (physically or mentally) that needs to be taken in order to get on as a VFF ?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 10,458

Quote:
are there any tests (physically or mentally) that needs to be taken in order to get on as a VFF ?
Probably going to vary from dept. to dept,we have written and physical agility tests for our paid FF but not volunteers,they only have to make so many trainings.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Not to join depending on the department. Now when it comes to the different certifications there are written and practical tests that go along with getting the cert. Nothing too too bad a little studying and practice along with some real world experience and you should be fine.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I would join a VFD and get the certs from them.... Been a local VFD member for the last 8 years, and it's one of the best things I've every done in my life!! Makes you chest stick out a little after you've helped somebody. Just don't take any classes with JCredeur....... Dude sucks a fat one !!!!!!!J/J
Well before we judge too much, lets schedule something besides Hazmat Ops!! Lol.... I think the Flashover rotates into Lafayette in April. We'll see then how fun my classes can be! Lol.... I don't think there is anyone in the History of the Fire Service who thoroughly enjoined basic Hazmat classes! Lol
Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcredeur View Post
Well before we judge too much, lets schedule something besides Hazmat Ops!! Lol.... I think the Flashover rotates into Lafayette in April. We'll see then how fun my classes can be! Lol.... I don't think there is anyone in the History of the Fire Service who thoroughly enjoined basic Hazmat classes! Lol
Uhhh, beg to differ.

My classes were great.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Great White

one other question..... Does it help or hurt to know someone in order to join the force ?? I know people in the 2 surrounding towns that are on the FD and get paid for it. Do I go in and ask to talk to the cheif specifically or who would I approach and talk with in order to ask them about being a VFF ?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Chief.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Jordan, check out this link

http://sfm.dps.louisiana.gov/sfm_directory.htm

And the chief in Rosepine is still Donnie Marshall.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

If you know someone in the department, doesn't hurt to talk to them first. I guarantee the Chief is going to ask if anyone in the department knows you.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Great White

thanks Jude !!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Uhhh, beg to differ.

My classes were great.
Lol..... But you have to admit in comparison to Extrication or fire suppression Hazmat can be a dry subject.... But like I always say, are we here for education or entertainment!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Jordan, first and foremost, thanks for helping the lady when she crashed! You did right by stopping and assisting how you saw fit. As a former full time paramedic/fire fighter, and now part time cop...........one thing stands in my mind! An old Captain of mine at a sheriff department I worked for told me the last week of the academy for LSP was spent on teaching them to be A**holes. Take it for what it is worth, because he retired after 30 years with them.

It boils down to people. I have never seen a trooper give me or anyone else trouble at a scene, but have heard stories. I would hope it is an isolated incident. If you want to discuss it further, call 337-491-2513 and askf or the desk sargent. Tell him you would like to discuss the incident to see what you did wrong. I would bet the young trooper would apologize and come up with something you said or did that made him respond like that. Quite possibly, it is all caught on tape if his light bar was activated.

Now, I have had to get loud with some bystanders that were trying to do too much, or were doing something detrimental to the patient. For instance, pulling someone out of a car because there is "smoke". Air bags produce a smoke when deployed, but that is the powder they are packed in. I do not want patients moved until the EMS crew gets there - period. Of course that goes out the window in case of fire, or drowning needless to say.

And, if you live in a rural area, and have the stomach to handle accident scenes, then please put in an application to the local volunteer service of your area. Without them, the communities have nothing.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcredeur View Post
Hey man I take what they pay for.... We gotta save that money cause we getting a new truck!!! And for the record your 1403 class was very informative and we ate good during it! Bring your box cause I ain't skerd..... I melted one helment already, what's another one!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Hey man I take what they pay for.... We gotta save that money cause we getting a new truck!!! And for the record your 1403 class was very informative and we ate good during it! Bring your box cause I ain't skerd..... I melted one helment already, what's another one!
Suspension for destroying dept property
Old 01-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Does LSU supply the helmet protectors for the flashover?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Jordan, first and foremost, thanks for helping the lady when she crashed! You did right by stopping and assisting how you saw fit. As a former full time paramedic/fire fighter, and now part time cop...........one thing stands in my mind! An old Captain of mine at a sheriff department I worked for told me the last week of the academy for LSP was spent on teaching them to be A**holes. Take it for what it is worth, because he retired after 30 years with them.

It boils down to people. I have never seen a trooper give me or anyone else trouble at a scene, but have heard stories. I would hope it is an isolated incident. If you want to discuss it further, call 337-491-2513 and askf or the desk sargent. Tell him you would like to discuss the incident to see what you did wrong. I would bet the young trooper would apologize and come up with something you said or did that made him respond like that. Quite possibly, it is all caught on tape if his light bar was activated.

Now, I have had to get loud with some bystanders that were trying to do too much, or were doing something detrimental to the patient. For instance, pulling someone out of a car because there is "smoke". Air bags produce a smoke when deployed, but that is the powder they are packed in. I do not want patients moved until the EMS crew gets there - period. Of course that goes out the window in case of fire, or drowning needless to say.

And, if you live in a rural area, and have the stomach to handle accident scenes, then please put in an application to the local volunteer service of your area. Without them, the communities have nothing.
He (the trooper) has pulled me over a time or 2. His vehicle was about 70 yards from the accident. He stopped in the curve to use his vehicle as a warning to others. People drive 100+mph on my rd and these accidents happen all the time. The lady pulled herself out of her vehicle with a broken arm, then wanted a cigarette.