SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Redfish

Cash: 581
Default Optimax 4 beeps then no start

Was running this weekend, and my optimax made four beeps. I stopped and checked the oil, and it was pretty low, so I filled up the tank. Went to crank the motor, and now the thing turns over well, but it won't start. Is there some kind of safety mechanism that won't let the engine start if the oil level is low? Or is this just a ridiculously big coincidence that I filled the oil tank, and now the engine won't start? Any help would be appreciated. I dropped it off at Pellegrin Marine, but they tell me they can't get to it for two weeks. I'd like to get back on the water, and I'm betting this is something pretty simple.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Get rid of that big black ancker and put a Yamaha or tohotso on it!
It's what I did but, back to your problem it could be the oil seiner or filter in the tank or you put oil the engine was not programed for the new e-tex are bad about that don't know about the merks ?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

One time something similar happened to us, we had to change the sensor which tells you if you have oil or not. I can't remember if there were 4 beeps or not though. Actually, now that I think about it, it still started but I wasn't able to throttle up. No help here... sorry.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:54 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 554

I'm not sure how many beeps... And it only put me in Limp mode.... However I had a bad tank and was changed out under warranty. Be sure your safety kill switch is engaged.... I have the 115 XS Pro Mercury.... 2014.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

http://media.channelblade.com/EProWe...rn%20chart.pdf
Old 08-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...b8rdACk59wOkyw
Old 08-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Redfish

Appreciate the input. That chart is the same one that's in my service manual, and it means either water in the gas or oil. I've never had water in the gas, and the problem popped up when I stopped to put oil in the tank. So it's got to be oil. But it doesn't seem like low oil or a bad sensor would cause the engine to not start. Seems like it should still start but then beep at me. It could be a huge coincidence with some other kind of problem, but it doesn't seem like it.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

Im sure you did this but did you take the cover off the motor and fill the tank by the motor. There is a cap on it that will let the air out while the motor is running.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:09 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
Im sure you did this but did you take the cover off the motor and fill the tank by the motor. There is a cap on it that will let the air out while the motor is running.
Yeh, filled the tank as much as I could with that cap. Typically you pull the cap off while its running and it will eventually overflow. But I can't get the engine to start so that it will do that. Do you know if low oil in that tank would cause the engine to not start? Maybe some type of a trip sensor in that tank that's gone bad?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

2 thoughts here, the lanyard got bumped and the kill switch is doing it, or maybe your oil tank sensor is stuck and it still thinks there is no oil so its not letting it start.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
2 thoughts here, the lanyard got bumped and the kill switch is doing it, or maybe your oil tank sensor is stuck and it still thinks there is no oil so its not letting it start.
Appreciate the input. Lanyard was the first thing I thought of, so I checked it. I'm thinking it's something related to the second idea. The oil tanks are pressurized too, so if the cap isn't tight enough, the engine won't crank. No real way to know for sure until I start replacing the cap, sensor, etc. until I get the right part.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 532

There is a recall on the sensor in the tank. Common problem ours did that last month.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchman View Post
There is a recall on the sensor in the tank. Common problem ours did that last month.
wow, too bad they didn't tell him before this happened, probably gave him unnecessary gray hairs worrying about this