SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 7
Default Holly Beach

Good afternoon and happy 4th of July, I just got back home after a short trip to Holly Beach for some surf fishing. Caught some hard heads (on shrimp), but that's about it. I tried using cut mullet, but was routinely foiled by the omnipresent and always hungry blue crab. If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how to properly fish holly beach or any beach in general, any and all help is appreciated. It's not that I don't have success when fishing the beach, but it seems either I don't catch at all, or I end up with a bunch of hard heads. Once again, all comments are appreciated and have a blessed 4th.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 633

I was there also, actually further down by the rock breaks. No luck..wish I read the link before I went.. Another guy east of me got a huge bull red
Old 07-05-2015, 11:21 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Watch the tide. You want to fish moving water. I only load up and go if there's certain tide conditions. We have had good success at Rutherford beach. If you haven't fished there it's worth a shot.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:42 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Watch the tide. You want to fish moving water. I only load up and go if there's certain tide conditions. We have had good success at Rutherford beach. If you haven't fished there it's worth a shot.
Rutherford can be very good for bull reds. I like Holly under certain wind and wave conditions when the part close to the channel will have clearer and calmer water because the jetties block waves from the SE. See the attachment for the spot.

The water gets deeper more quickly here compared with the beaches further west, so you can reach the deeper water with moderate casting distances.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holly Beach.jpg (12.5 KB, 466 views)
Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Rutherford can be very good for bull reds. I like Holly under certain wind and wave conditions when the part close to the channel will have clearer and calmer water because the jetties block waves from the SE. See the attachment for the spot.

The water gets deeper more quickly here compared with the beaches further west, so you can reach the deeper water with moderate casting distances.
Do you just park on side of hwy here?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

Used to fish there before the beach rebuild. Too far to carry everything now. We have done very good in that area though. If it is now open to drive on I will go back. Just not packing all of our crap that far.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGINJROB View Post
Do you just park on side of hwy here?
There is a spot to pull off, but a fence and signs preventing you from driving onto the beach. It's about a 75 yard walk to the water