SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Kayak and Canoe Forum

Kayak and Canoe Forum Discuss non-motorized watersport activities here, including kayaking, canoeing, etc.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 507
Default New to the water

Hello all, I'm new to the kayak/canoeing world.a prospect if you will. I've been thinking of purchasing a kayak or canoe to use for photography. But I don't know which one to go with. So here's the traits I'm looking for in whichever watercraft I choose. The first one being stability, ill be on the water with a pretty expensive camera set up($2000+),though while im traveling I plan on using dry boxes. The other thing is that I do not have a truck, I have a compact car so it has to pretty portable. I was looking at something in the 10' range. I've never used a kayak before but I've heard that the wider the more stable, and that the sit on top kayaks aren't as stable as the kind you sit inside, is this true? I have used a Conoe a few times, and I like the canoe. By the way whatever I choose will be a single and not tandem . Also, i mainly plan on using it in still water, bayous, swamps, the fastest moving water being the pearl river. Any suggestions for me?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Im not a yakker but from what i understand Hobie makes the cadillac of yaks. Go talk to the guys at pack n paddle in Lafayette. They will fix you up. Also there are a few yakkers on here maybe they will chime in
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Flounder

Cash: 685

Sit on tops in general are more stable. Do you plan on using a tripod? If so a hybrid model might suit you- flat surface below your legs plus the high seat could allow you to use a tripod. The wilderness commander is ideal for this. Its a hybrid kayak which has canoe-like features but stable and does not self bail.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

It looks like you are in Slidell, so The closest kayak dealer I know to you is Massey Outfitters in The New Orleans area. They have demo days on bayou st John. It's hard to pick a kayak that suits your needs without trying a few out.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,334

Might want to try a Native Ultimate also.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounderpounder View Post
Sit on tops in general are more stable. Do you plan on using a tripod? If so a hybrid model might suit you- flat surface below your legs plus the high seat could allow you to use a tripod. The wilderness commander is ideal for this. Its a hybrid kayak which has canoe-like features but stable and does not self bail.
Are sit on tops generally more stable? I had heard they weren't.

And yes I would like to be able to use a tripod or if not i can always use a monopod.
I've also considered a one person canoe. Something like the old town 119.
http://****ssportinggoods.com/produc...413993.4417832

Again thanks to everyone who's replied, much appreciation.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Flounder

Cash: 655

Take a look at the Nucanoe Frontier...
Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,334

Once kayaks get to be 30-32 inches wide they are all pretty stable. Just need to figure out which one is most comfortable and fits your needs.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 690

Sounds like the Native Watercraft Ultimate might be a good choice for your intended purpose. Take a look at this and try one out. Most kayak retailers will let you test drive.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/m.video.cfm?id=89

Good luck with your search!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Sand Trout

Hey just to update everyone, I ended up purchasing a pelican 10' SOT. It's okay, but I will eventually upgrade to a slightly longer kayak, one that tracks a little better, like if I stopped paddling for more then a few seconds I was sideways, or if I turned my body I would turn the whole kayak. Anyone on here ever use one of those hobbie kayaks with the foot petals? As a photographer I really like the option of being able to "paddle" hands free.

Typed on the go using an iPhone via Tapatalk- forgive any typos
Old 06-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

I'm also a photographer who uses a kayak. Several years ago when researching for a kayak I eventually decided to get a Wilderness Tarpon T-140 (14' long SOT)
Several things to mention, the Hobie's pedal system enables you to cover larger distances with less strain and if you are into photographing birds they are much less likely to scare the birds from paddle "flash". That being said, the very high price and high weight of Hobie's are off-setting for me. I mainly decided on the Tarpon because I wanted the exercise and enjoy paddling and really like the way they handle.
One thing to keep in mind is the Hobie's have no reverse so you'll still have to paddle some to maneuver around. Also there are a whole slew of people with Hobie's who have had lot's of issues with the pedal system breaking and they're not cheap to fix!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy M View Post
I'm also a photographer who uses a kayak. Several years ago when researching for a kayak I eventually decided to get a Wilderness Tarpon T-140 (14' long SOT)
Several things to mention, the Hobie's pedal system enables you to cover larger distances with less strain and if you are into photographing birds they are much less likely to scare the birds from paddle "flash". That being said, the very high price and high weight of Hobie's are off-setting for me. I mainly decided on the Tarpon because I wanted the exercise and enjoy paddling and really like the way they handle.
One thing to keep in mind is the Hobie's have no reverse so you'll still have to paddle some to maneuver around. Also there are a whole slew of people with Hobie's who have had lot's of issues with the pedal system breaking and they're not cheap to fix!
Hey thanks for the info. I saw they advertise in outdoor photographer magazine, that's what made me think that they might be good for photography. I don't mind paddling but I wouldn't mind being able to sneak up on some birds.

Hey another question for a fellow SOT kayak photographer. The last time I went out on my kayak(the first time) I noticed I had a really hard time staying dry, mainly because of paddle drip. By the end of a 2-3hr paddle I looked like I had gone swimming. The paddle I have has drip rings but they don't seem to work all that great. Any secret? I think my paddle isn't long enough, even though I purchased according to many sizing charts id seen.

What area are in ?

Typed on the go using an iPhone via Tapatalk- forgive any typos
Old 06-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

Sometimes all it takes is to move the "drip rings" a little, I find the dripping into the yak is least when the ring is about 2 inches from the start of the paddle blade. Also, maybe don't raise the blade as high (if you can).
I use dry bags for my gear and then have it attached to the yak, they take much less room than the boxes and for the most part are about as easy to use.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,263

My wife and I both own Hobie Mirage yaks with the pedals. We have been extremely satisfied with them. We did buy aftermarket seats for more comfort as we spend a lot of time on the water. The yaks have a rudder and with the pedals it frees your hands for fishing or whatever (photography). With a wind, the rudder allows you to drift with the wind and keep the kayak in proper position with a slight adjustment of the rudder and a couple of pedal strokes. My wife loves easing up on birds, gators, and assorted critters to take pics with her phone. We have had a canoe and paddle yaks, but the convenience of free hands can't be beat. With a pulley on the bow and stern, along with two rope locks next to the seat, you can mount two small anchors above the water line allowing you to drop both and keep boat perfectly positioned in windy conditions. The yaks are very stable, but not designed for standing. If you can get a test ride, I think you will find that the peddles beat the paddles. Also you can go farther faster with the pedals than the paddle. Hope that helps.