SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Right, but red snapper and other species are currently close to their maximum sustainable biomass. There is a quantity of fish that can be safely harvested from the ecosystem each year without significantly reducing future biomass.

Biomass is dominated by lower levels of the food chain (what fish eat) rather than by how many fish are available to harvest. Letting fish continue to multiply uncontrolled simply puts too much stress of forage sources and leads to lots of little, slow growing fish rather than more fat, happy, fast growing fish. Right now, black drum and red snapper are clearly over stressing their food sources, and there is some risk of real ecological damage if underfishing continues.

Only the ignorant ASSUME that every game species is on the brink of overfishing and in need of additional protections. Since populations of many larger predators (sharks, etc.) are far below historical levels, a high level of fishing pressure is necessary in many cases to maintain balanced populations and prevent too much stress of food sources. NOAA data show tripletail harvests have been steady over time (no over fishing) and ichthyoplankton surveys show that there had been no drop in reproductive rates (future biomass was safe). No limit was needed in Louisiana waters.
Ok then there is scientific evidence to support the current situation. Great.

W

No I aint' from TX....MS.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePunchRex View Post
How well are the tripletail stocks "thriving" if y'all can't catch a limit of 18" fish? Go to Texas and it's common to catch limits of 18 pound fish. 18" fish are babies.
They are thriving just as good as they ever have. Where is scientific data saying that we are seeing a decline in triple tail numbers?

Texas has nothing to do with this, you are making yourself sound unintelligent when you act like Texas limits help triple tail grow bigger in Texas. We in Louisiana catch the same triple tail you do in Texas. They migrate, it's simple. Go ahead and take that dumb comment back.

People rarely run across triple tail, especially large schools. There are plenty out there, but one has to be lucky enough to run across the right rip or piece of debree. It is hard for someone to leave the dock on any given day and KNOW that they are going to find them. This is exactly why we should be able to keep them when we do find them.

When was the last time you were out there triple tail fishing? I'm tired of hearing input from people who most likely hardly ever fish.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post

W

No I aint' from TX....MS.
I can tell you that Gafttop catches are substantial and all I use is artificial!!

So should we put a limit on them ???

What about sheepshead ? Or sand trout ? Or croaker caught 5 yesterday
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Can the overall well being of game be determined by the numbers that are caught/killed?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
Uh, no. There is scientific evidence to support the former situation (no limit on tripletail).

There is no scientific evidence to support the current situation. (Newly imposed limit.)

How ignorant does one have to be to claim that data showing that everything was fine without a limit actually supports a newly imposed limit?

This is CCA-esque reasoning through and through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tripletail Regs P 33.jpg (39.1 KB, 201 views)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: -1,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
They are thriving just as good as they ever have. Where is scientific data saying that we are seeing a decline in triple tail numbers?

Texas has nothing to do with this, you are making yourself sound unintelligent when you act like Texas limits help triple tail grow bigger in Texas. We in Louisiana catch the same triple tail you do in Texas. They migrate, it's simple. Go ahead and take that dumb comment back.

People rarely run across triple tail, especially large schools. There are plenty out there, but one has to be lucky enough to run across the right rip or piece of debree. It is hard for someone to leave the dock on any given day and KNOW that they are going to find them. This is exactly why we should be able to keep them when we do find them.

When was the last time you were out there triple tail fishing? I'm tired of hearing input from people who most likely hardly ever fish.
Never said there was a decline in tripletail numbers, you made that inference

Never said anything about Texas limits making tripletail grow larger in Texas. I am aware that they're pelagic and I highly doubt that the same tripletail caught out of big lake are the same ones caught in Matagorda Bay. By the way, I live in Louisiana, not Texas. As far as dumb comments, you got that covered.

I fish about 200 days a year, so know who you're talking about before opening your mouth.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Are only people who fish a certain amount of days a year allowed to be concerned about coastal conservation? (Even though I understand CCA does nothing) Quit making comments about people who "don't even fish Big Lake". You've done that a lot. I might fish it once a year, because i mainly fish the cocodrie area. But I am still very concerned about what's going on there. And would gladly join any grass roots effort to protect it. I am from Louisiana, and that should be good enough!
I dont think hes saying anything negative toward ppl who fish the lake occasionally. I think hes referencing ppl who hardly fish the lake and are trying to make changes that wont benefit the estuary.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Yes I was a CCA member and yes I did support the CCA , but I learned quickly the CCA is nothing but a social event where guys can get away from the wife once a year and say it's for the fishing

You look around and all you see is people you never see on the water !! But hey it's cool to be CCA

Like Mathgeek said you can write letters to your senators and WL&F ( I prefer emails)

You can still support the CCA and spend you $50 a year and watch nothing unfold here on big lake and if that's cool with you that's your money

I rather talk to other chains of commands who don't have big money individuals from Lake Charles telling them what to do !!

Chenier Energy is more fired up about helping this lake than our own CCA

Chenier had done more for the lake than the CCA
Who, in particular, do you suggest I write? What am I supposed to say? I don't have the answers. Also, what has Cheniere done? I haven't heard of anything. Glad to here they are stepping up.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePunchRex View Post
Never said there was a decline in tripletail numbers, you made that inference

Never said anything about Texas limits making tripletail grow larger in Texas. I am aware that they're pelagic and I highly doubt that the same tripletail caught out of big lake are the same ones caught in Matagorda Bay. By the way, I live in Louisiana, not Texas. As far as dumb comments, you got that covered.

I fish about 200 days a year, so know who you're talking about before opening your mouth.
You said 18" fish are babies in Texas, like they magically get bigger when they cross into Texas waters.

Bottom line is, the little bit of data we do have shows that triple tail stocks were perfectly fine with no limit. I'm lost as to how people want to argue this fact.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Who, in particular, do you suggest I write? What am I supposed to say? I don't have the answers. Also, what has Cheniere done? I haven't heard of anything. Glad to here they are stepping up.
Stand your ground on sound evidence that oyster dredging is hurting our lake

WL&F studies show the massive decline ever since oyster dredging was allowed

We have more hard evidence that Oyster dredging is hurting us than they had on Trout and 3tail
Old 07-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:

We have more hard evidence that Oyster dredging is hurting us than they had on Trout and 3tail

And CCA still wont help to fight the issue!
Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Redfish

Quote:
You said 18" fish are babies in Texas, like they magically get bigger when they cross into Texas waters.

Bottom line is, the little bit of data we do have shows that triple tail stocks were perfectly fine with no limit. I'm lost as to how people want to argue this fact.
No, I said 18" fish are babies. I never specified where, as all 18" tripletail anywhere are young fish.

Again, you might want to read, comprehend, and think before you post again trying to twist my words. You really have this "dumb post" thing going for you. Good job!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Stand your ground on sound evidence that oyster dredging is hurting our lake

WL&F studies show the massive decline ever since oyster dredging was allowed

Is there somewhere I can see this evidence?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
I have it on a email somewhere but MG posted it up the other day also
Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Red Snapper

What's Cheniere doing?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
What's Cheniere doing?
Chenier placed two reefs ( same as CCA )

They also donate lots of money to costal projects and will holding several meetings about the lake and what efforts they can do to help

Again More than CCA has done in a 10th of the years

Chenier is wide open to help wide open
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:

Haha well hell, I just wish you would tell me where I can go catch a limit of 18lber's.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Haha well hell, I just wish you would tell me where I can go catch a limit of 18lber's.
Matagorda, TX
Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:

Google 2013 la. Oyster assessment. Look for the oyster numbers by year, it will be a bar graph. It's pretty clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,201

Quote:
Chenier placed two reefs ( same as CCA )

They also donate lots of money to costal projects and will holding several meetings about the lake and what efforts they can do to help

Again More than CCA has done in a 10th of the years

Chenier is wide open to help wide open

Your kidding! A for profit corporation who has to be held accountable and fully disclose all of their inner workings to shareholders, the government, sarbanes oxley, employees, and the general public is more efficient with allocation of resources than a bureaucratic non-profit? Shocking.

PS: W, while I believe you make valid points, your disdain for people that are only able to fish a few times a year will never allow people to fully support your cause. I hope you change your approach to something more productive.