SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Not to split hairs but water weighs 8.33 ppg and gasoline varies something like 5.9 - 6.5 ppg. Oil in general is less dense than water, thats why we get oil slicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Just to keep it accurate, I looked up the weight in some of my old information from when I worked at a Refinery. Gasoline generally weights about 5 lbs per gallon. Oil runs around 7+ lbs per gallon.
ok, cool

so my teachers were teaching us wrong lol, not surprised to find that out, we had some dumb teachers in school. even had one science teacher who would fail you unless you agreed with her the moon landings were all fake and we never landed on the moon because her "proof" was they were following in someone elses tire tracks when it was shown on tv lol.

they taught us ALL liquids were 8lbs per gallon unless the had solid additives in them.

never too old to learn new stuff and now I know not all liquids weight the same
Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
ok, cool

so my teachers were teaching us wrong lol, not surprised to find that out, we had some dumb teachers in school. even had one science teacher who would fail you unless you agreed with her the moon landings were all fake and we never landed on the moon because her "proof" was they were following in someone elses tire tracks when it was shown on tv lol.

they taught us ALL liquids were 8lbs per gallon unless the had solid additives in them.

never too old to learn new stuff and now I know not all liquids weight the same
No worries, I just know it because of my line of work. Gasoline density I just googled and it was about 6ppg. That varies with additives and other hydrocarbons mixed in, so I guess pure gasoline is 5ppg like Gerald said.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:41 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

The chart that I found did not say what blend of "gasoline" was used to determine that it weighted 5 lb per gallon. I was actually thinking gasoline weighted much more, something like 7+ ppg. It has been a long time since I worked with these numbers.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Battery powered is the downfall. If you had unlimited access to electric power, that would be the ticket. Nothing more disheartening than a weak battery. Plus batteries are very difficult to maintain and get full performance, and life out of. Four-12Volt batteries ain't squat. You would need like 16-20 batteries for any kind of performance, and again they cost alot, and won't last 1/2 of the advertized life span.
Ask them folks w/ 100% battery powered cars....they were/are disappointed. Batteries are THE WEAK LINK !!!!! Want to become a billionaire, figure that one out.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrchip1 View Post
Battery powered is the downfall. If you had unlimited access to electric power, that would be the ticket. Nothing more disheartening than a weak battery. Plus batteries are very difficult to maintain and get full performance, and life out of. Four-12Volt batteries ain't squat. You would need like 16-20 batteries for any kind of performance, and again they cost alot, and won't last 1/2 of the advertized life span.
Ask them folks w/ 100% battery powered cars....they were/are disappointed. Batteries are THE WEAK LINK !!!!! Want to become a billionaire, figure that one out.
You DO NOT need like 16-20 batteries for any kind of performance, don't be silly. its not an electric car that needs 800 lbs of batteries to power it.

if you had bothered to read the info about it you would see that ALL it needs is four 12 volt 200 AH batteries to power your boat.

if you don't like the idea of battery power that's fine, but don't try to misrepresent the situation. this thing works, and it works quite nicely on just four 12 volt batteries and while im sure its not the fastest thing on the water, it gets pretty good speed comparable to the speeds you get with an outboard.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
You DO NOT need like 16-20 batteries for any kind of performance, don't be silly. its not an electric car that needs 800 lbs of batteries to power it.

if you had bothered to read the info about it you would see that ALL it needs is four 12 volt 200 AH batteries to power your boat.

if you don't like the idea of battery power that's fine, but don't try to misrepresent the situation. this thing works, and it works quite nicely on just four 12 volt batteries and while im sure its not the fastest thing on the water, it gets pretty good speed comparable to the speeds you get with an outboard.
I have alot of experience with batteries, trust me I read the intro.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Flounder

Cash: 725

With torquedo, their batteries are a major part of their tech. I'm sure that you could use just any battery out of the store but that would most likely hurt performance. Just saying.
I do believe the battery is the week link to electric systems. Cost, weight, and longevity are the major downfalls. Like all of these electric and hybrid cars, wait until they start getting old enough for people to start having to replace and service
those batteries. They are gonna hate it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Redfish

Cash: 729

I see alot of obamacare type math and reasoning going on here... I am out of this one.

Just go buy it...you can figure out how far you can go and what weight it will add afterwards.