SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:40 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

If I'm in a boat for several hours with a guide who I do not know from Adam, I would assume the topic of conversation would largely revolve around the obvious common denominator between the two of us..... FISHING. If he is a guide, it would stand to reason that he is a professional at his trade and would have a lot to talk about on the subject.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
We're talking about Big Lake, not some lousy NC reservoir.

If a guide can't put you on fish in Big Lake 99 days out of 100, he sucks.
This is not true the best of us have bad days and fish don't eat everyday either.
Also guiding is not like buddy fishing your level of experience is a huge factor on the number of fish that hit the cooler that day .
Some days I don't cast a line out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Agreed.

It's probably a good idea for both parties to clearly know expectations and goals for the day.

A good guide, if he wants to stay a guide, is concerned about satisfying his customers. Finding out what they want is a big part of that.
You basically have two types of trips
Business ones where it multiple boats paying for their customers who just want to fish and catch fish and really don't care much about surrounding or techniques etc.

Then you have guys who want to learn and know everything you can teach them in that short time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
If I'm in a boat for several hours with a guide who I do not know from Adam, I would assume the topic of conversation would largely revolve around the obvious common denominator between the two of us..... FISHING. If he is a guide, it would stand to reason that he is a professional at his trade and would have a lot to talk about on the subject.
1st thing is to establish a relationship with customers and let them enjoy the trip . My main goal is to make sure they are getting all my attention because you want them to come back. Successful business is built off repeat customers and that is where successful guides make a living . You don't have to load the boat to have a successful fishing every day .
People have to like the person they fishing with.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
This is not true the best of us have bad days and fish don't eat everyday either.

Also guiding is not like buddy fishing your level of experience is a huge factor on the number of fish that hit the cooler that day .

You basically have two types of trips

Business ones where it multiple boats paying for their customers who just want to fish and catch fish and really don't care much about surrounding or techniques etc.

Then you have guys who want to learn and know everything you can teach them in that short time .

1st thing is to establish a relationship with customers and let them enjoy the trip . My main goal is to make sure they are getting all my attention because you want them to come back. Successful business is built off repeat customers and that is where successful guides make a living . You don't have to load the boat to have a successful fishing every day .

People have to like the person they fishing with.

All very good points. I have been on lots of guided trips offshore with the same guy. Some better than others fish wise, but I have never felt like he didn't try his best to put us on fish and It's always fun.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:
If a guide can't put you on fish in Big Lake 99 days out of 100, he sucks.
Quote:
Honestly Im batting at about 25% success rate with guides, and this ranges from Alaska to the Gulf to the Keys to mid country lakes and rivers. Every year I do 2 guided trips, my fall trip is coming up and this got me to thinking, my success rate has'nt been to good so I thought I would ask what is the general consensus on a guides responsibility.

And for the record "MY" interpretation of success rate is more then one or two fish (depending on species) but does not have to be a bagged limit either. If Im having a good time and catching a few with what I am learning GREAT. If Im not catching, Im not learning, well maybe learning what NOT to do.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

Sry swamp I shouldn't have come across that way.

My point is. Take a guide trip. You might be the best fisherman west of the MS but I garuntee we all have something to learn.

Do some homework first. I generally check reviews and talk with the guide to make sure what kind of trip I'm booking. (I don't want to fish cut bait by last island and catch bull reds).

I book guides when I'm outside of my comfort zone. Weather it be a different place or a species.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Perhaps this is the case if you limit your target to one species (specks) or one technique (artificials).

But if you are willing to expand your target species (sheepies, drum, flatties, gafftops, bull reds) and methods (soaking bait), you should almost always be able to put your guests on fish.

I let my guides know ahead of time that I'm not an elitist, and I expect to be able to resort to using bait and targeting "nontraditional" species if the day isn't serving up specks or slot reds easily.

I'm a rank amateur, and we almost always bring home a bunch of fish when fishing from a boat in coastal LA. The fishing here is just too good for excuses.

Guides should practice some of these phrases for customers:

Would you like to try for some bull reds?

Would you mind trying some bait?

How do you feel about sheepies?

I know where we can get on the drum.

This is not looking good for specks today, I think we can fill the cooler with gafftops in a spot I know.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Perhaps this is the case if you limit your target to one species (specks) or one technique (artificials).

But if you are willing to expand your target species (sheepies, drum, flatties, gafftops, bull reds) and methods (soaking bait), you should almost always be able to put your guests on fish.

I let my guides know ahead of time that I'm not an elitist, and I expect to be able to resort to using bait and targeting "nontraditional" species if the day isn't serving up specks or slot reds easily.

I'm a rank amateur, and we almost always bring home a bunch of fish when fishing from a boat in coastal LA. The fishing here is just too good for excuses.

Guides should practice some of these phrases for customers:

Would you like to try for some bull reds?

Would you mind trying some bait?

How do you feel about sheepies?

I know where we can get on the drum.

This is not looking good for specks today, I think we can fill the cooler with gafftops in a spot I know.
Well I can promise you 1 thing no where on my website says gaftops lol

I will never offer that to anyone because I'm not cleaning gaftop period !
Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:

I get that. I've had to offer to clean the gafftops and drum for guides to keep them for us. I'm cool with it.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Flounder

Cash: 372

Quote:

Time to update your website, gaftops is where it's at
Old 10-20-2016, 07:11 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
I can't think of any other occupation that provides (sells) a service to customers...at the same time, is expected to show those customers the hows, whens, whys and wheres of that service he's providing. Strange.

I think most all businesses that succeed and flourish tell their customers what they do and how they do it, how else would you maintain their business and trust?

I don't eat popcorn and drink beer inside while my A/C guy bangs around outside, and if he doesn't talk about what he will do and how I can go forward with my system in a way that will have me less downtime and cost me less money then he is t my A/C man. Same goes for a mechanic or anyone else I pay for a service.

Businesses and service providers don't make money by looking and and just doing the job like everyone else on the block, you have to know (as the customer) what is separating this person from the next guy. All in all it boils down to about the same thing.

You're acting like the requirement is for the guide to give the sport a copy of his yearly fishing log and the chip out of his GPS.