SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 482
Default House lifted

I just had my house lifted 9' off the ground but all the contractor did was lift and crib. I agreed to do the foundation work to save $20,000.00 I can do the foundation work but I am struggling to find any codes as to how wide the footer needs to be and what type of spacing is needed for the block columns. I am planning on a 18" x 18" continuous footer with 16" x 24" block columns. Does any one know the state code requirements for rebar and column spacing?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 583

I would have an engineer layout a foundation plan for the house, he will specify all of those details.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapro21 View Post
I would have an engineer layout a foundation plan for the house, he will specify all of those details.
x2
Old 10-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

You need a structural engineer to look at that or an experienced draftsman that has worked with a local structural engineer and knows the codes. Ultimatley though, before you get a permit you need an engineers stamp, those cost $400 minimum. You may even need soil samples.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

You won't find any codes. All building departments will require an engineer to sign off on the plans. A buddy of mine has done several hundred of those, and every one requires a different foundation, based upon the ground you set it on.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 AM
Flounder

Cash: 455

you do not need a engineer to draw up a foundation plan for a small job like that. Engineers and ar****ects usually only get involved on general construction jobs, when houses have post-tension slabs, or if custom homes are exceptionally big. I have built houses up to 2200 sqft with just rebar and wire mesh, however most houses we built are post-tension slabs. A typical house footing his 24'' by 24'' with mesh stands in the footing with 4 strands of rebar running through the stands throughout the entire perimeter. From what your describing you are doing you should not need interior footings, I hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrepont42 View Post
you do not need a engineer to draw up a foundation plan for a small job like that. Engineers and ar****ects usually only get involved on general construction jobs, when houses have post-tension slabs, or if custom homes are exceptionally big. I have built houses up to 2200 sqft with just rebar and wire mesh, however most houses we built are post-tension slabs. A typical house footing his 24'' by 24'' with mesh stands in the footing with 4 strands of rebar running through the stands throughout the entire perimeter. From what your describing you are doing you should not need interior footings, I hope this helps.
well i would go out on a limb and say he needs to have a professional design a system that works for his house since it is elevated. all houses are not created equal. obviously this is not a typical house footing since his house is in the air, and im sure it will not be a pt slab as you describe. if it were me i would spend the extra money to have some design somethin specific for my house. this way it will decrease the chances of failure down the road. do it right and do it once.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
well i would go out on a limb and say he needs to have a professional design a system that works for his house since it is elevated. all houses are not created equal. obviously this is not a typical house footing since his house is in the air, and im sure it will not be a pt slab as you describe. if it were me i would spend the extra money to have some design somethin specific for my house. this way it will decrease the chances of failure down the road. do it right and do it once.
I'm on the same limb. Peace of mind, and sleep are every bit with the small price.