SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607
Default Leases

Not looking for anything this year unless a killer deal in a really good area presents itself, but I had to give up my lease for this year bc we had a baby. I'll be on the market for a duck lease for the 16-17 season. Would prefer to hunt rice fields. Needs to be within an hour or so of lafayette/broussard. And would like to keep it around the $3-4k mark or less. It would be myself and 1 or 2 other buddies going in together.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Good luck...I think you have a better chance of winning the power ball in regards to finding a half decent lease for what you want to pay........3-4 k.......

Most rice fields blinds are 6K at a minimum....regardless if the blind is worth a crap or not.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster19 View Post
Not looking for anything this year unless a killer deal in a really good area presents itself, but I had to give up my lease for this year bc we had a baby. I'll be on the market for a duck lease for the 16-17 season. Would prefer to hunt rice fields. Needs to be within an hour or so of lafayette/broussard. And would like to keep it around the $3-4k mark or less. It would be myself and 1 or 2 other buddies going in together.
Thanks
If you had a decent lease within those qualifications, you shouldn't have given it up.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
If you had a decent lease within those qualifications, you shouldn't have given it up.
It wasn't in those qualifications. It was a goose lease and we weren't killing and we were paying $6K. Just can't afford to keep paying that since I got married and have 2 kids now.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 901

Does not exist...that's worth the money...
Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

yep, it took me till age 43 or so to get on a decent lease. i will put up with alot of crap to have a good spot, but after 5 years of douchbaggery i got out of it.
still have a deer lease, but going to get out of that too, too many people breaking the rules and nothing is done about it.
gonna miss the hunting/fishing, but not the people.

all the good leases are leased, and they don't come up for lease.
usually it's just the junk that isn't worth it that comes up for lease. i honestly do not see how some of those property managers sleep at night knowing full well that they are butt-raping folks.

going back to public hunting next year, that way i can save my money and just go on a good guided hunt once or twice and the rest of the season i can play with the retards on my local lake.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Flounder

Cash: 633

What area were you hunting before you gave your lease up?

3-4k is something you may find way north of I-10 in the rice fields but they are usually less productive and even then the going rate is 5k.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopete View Post
yep, it took me till age 43 or so to get on a decent lease. i will put up with alot of crap to have a good spot, but after 5 years of douchbaggery i got out of it.
still have a deer lease, but going to get out of that too, too many people breaking the rules and nothing is done about it.
gonna miss the hunting/fishing, but not the people.

all the good leases are leased, and they don't come up for lease.
usually it's just the junk that isn't worth it that comes up for lease. i honestly do not see how some of those property managers sleep at night knowing full well that they are butt-raping folks.

going back to public hunting next year, that way i can save my money and just go on a good guided hunt once or twice and the rest of the season i can play with the retards on my local lake.
It sucks how the going rate has sky rocketed. However, things are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't lose any sleep as a property manager.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjleger337 View Post
What area were you hunting before you gave your lease up?

3-4k is something you may find way north of I-10 in the rice fields but they are usually less productive and even then the going rate is 5k.
Looked at some field blinds in Concordia parish going for 8K. Gar holes as well
Old 09-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Tripletail

It's true, if a blind comes up for lease there is always a reason for it. No one gets off of a jam up spot voluntarily. But some spots I see people give up, or complain about have potential, and they just assume because there are decoys out and their guns are loaded that they're supposed to limit every hunt. It's not 1983 anymore, brush your blind, put some effort into your spread, maybe listen to a real hen once and a while and practice during the off season. Now don't get me wrong, there are countless scenarios that can make it just a BAD blind (location being the primary reason), but if you have birds in your area, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Sure it might not be just a rape fest every hunt like the good ol days, but honestly there's not a whole lot of difference between killing a few birds in a hunt, and limiting. Better shooting, better shot calling, better decision making, better dekes, better brush. I tend to think of it how I think of bass fishing, it's a percentage game. You get X amount of casts per day (replace casts with amount of ducks flying close enough to give you a look) the less casts you make, the lower your chance is to catch (or the less ducks you have the less chances you have of killing, duh right?). Improve the efficiency of each cast, and your chances of success go up. Everything else you can do only increases or decreases your chances. My point being, you're not gunna stumble across a blind of a lifetime, just get that out of your head. If you find an average one, be happy with it and put the effort in to squeak out a few more birds per hunt, and over the course of a season it will add up. Some people just get it in their head that they won't change how they've hunted with success in previous years. For example "I ain't using mojos, or buying them fancy decoys, I've been blowing this faulks and killing ducks without all that stuff for years." The same scenario with the guys who didn't want to get on the Alabama rig train just because it was so different than what they were used to or "unfair." I've said it before and I'll say it again, adapt or die bruh. lol
Old 09-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Flounder

Cash: 633

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Looked at some field blinds in Concordia parish going for 8K. Gar holes as well
Its crazy how much leases are these days.. and then if you cant afford a good spot you have to go put up with the duck dynasty crew on public land who set up across the pond from you after youve been set up for an hour and then sky bust everything and then posts about how much duck hunting sucks in louisiana
Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
It's true, if a blind comes up for lease there is always a reason for it. No one gets off of a jam up spot voluntarily. But some spots I see people give up, or complain about have potential, and they just assume because there are decoys out and their guns are loaded that they're supposed to limit every hunt. It's not 1983 anymore, brush your blind, put some effort into your spread, maybe listen to a real hen once and a while and practice during the off season. Now don't get me wrong, there are countless scenarios that can make it just a BAD blind (location being the primary reason), but if you have birds in your area, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Sure it might not be just a rape fest every hunt like the good ol days, but honestly there's not a whole lot of difference between killing a few birds in a hunt, and limiting. Better shooting, better shot calling, better decision making, better dekes, better brush. I tend to think of it how I think of bass fishing, it's a percentage game. You get X amount of casts per day (replace casts with amount of ducks flying close enough to give you a look) the less casts you make, the lower your chance is to catch (or the less ducks you have the less chances you have of killing, duh right?). Improve the efficiency of each cast, and your chances of success go up. Everything else you can do only increases or decreases your chances. My point being, you're not gunna stumble across a blind of a lifetime, just get that out of your head. If you find an average one, be happy with it and put the effort in to squeak out a few more birds per hunt, and over the course of a season it will add up. Some people just get it in their head that they won't change how they've hunted with success in previous years. For example "I ain't using mojos, or buying them fancy decoys, I've been blowing this faulks and killing ducks without all that stuff for years." The same scenario with the guys who didn't want to get on the Alabama rig train just because it was so different than what they were used to or "unfair." I've said it before and I'll say it again, adapt or die bruh. lol

how do you improve the efficiency on ducks flying close enough to give you a look?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

Location. Location. Location.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:34 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
how do you improve the efficiency on ducks flying close enough to give you a look?
Well obviously that's one of the things you can't control. BUT you can do said things to increase the chances of getting the ones that do. I mean everyone knows it's all about location, but when you're confined to one spot do what you can ya know
Old 09-11-2015, 01:37 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Honestly, bouncing the hen though..
Old 09-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

Quote:
Well obviously that's one of the things you can't control. BUT you can do said things to increase the chances of getting the ones that do. I mean everyone knows it's all about location, but when you're confined to one spot do what you can ya know
well your analogy was not a good one then.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:02 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
well your analogy was not a good one then.
If you think of both of these as chance events, and there are variables that can increase the chance of success / failure for both, then it's not necessarily a bad one. My bad doe. I just meant it can be possible to change a 150 bird/year blind into a 300 bird/year.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
-Seneca
Old 09-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."
-Seneca
True story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
True story

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I read what you were saying..... A man smarter than me said it in plainer terms many years ago. I figured I'd help a brother out!