SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189
Default Need Help/Opinions Choosing a Gun??

Looking to add a new addition to the cabinet...i've been shooting my xtrema the past 2 seasons or so...now that its that time of the year again im ready and looking for something new...preferably a pump...my xtrema is just getting wore out i believe and is starting to have more and more problems....ive always been a pump fan so im goin back to one...i have narrowed it down to 4 to choose from...first being a 870 express super mag...i already know all about this gun got two regular 870's i know its reliable but i want something different i think....the others are the 887 nitro mag....the stoeger p350 pump or the benelli nova......form wat i can tell the p350 and nova are really the same gun just made by sister companies but does the stoeger perform as well as the nova??

also the 887 is a fine gun but i cant seem to figure out if its truly a good buy or not cause of all the mixed reviews....

any help/opinions/advice would be appreciated...also if anyone has one of these guns in good condition for sale let me know....
Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

HH, I just shot the 887 yesterday, real smooth. Feels like an 870. Real fast on the pumping action. This is my next choice.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

you shooting an extrema or extrema 2?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

i have shot both the nova and the 887 and both are very nice. I like the feel of the benelli better but they were very similar in weight and recoil the nova just fit me better. I have heard good things about the stoeger but have never held one so i dont have an opinion on it. I say just go to a gun store and look at em in person but i dont think you can go wrtong with any of those choices
Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Great White

go to a pawn shop and ask to shoot one of each.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:03 PM
King Mackeral

xtrema ft
Old 09-03-2010, 12:29 AM
King Mackeral

jordan how'd that 887 shoot??

i also meant to ask yall whats the advatages or disadvantages of a 26 inch barrel versus a 28 inch barrel with a pump gun??? are there any i know watever i buy im throwin a kicks full choke on it anyways..
Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I know you didn't mention this gun but I have been shooting a Browning BPS for right at 10 years now. I use it for ducks, deer, dove and skeet shooting. I really like how it ejects the shells out the bottom so there's no hitting anyone in the face with empty casings when you eject. I absolutely love this gun and will be getting another one if this one ever craps out on me. Whatever kind of gun you get, make sure to get the 28" barrel.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

nova hands down....brother has a 870 super but man one trip to the marsh and the whole gun was rusted before we got home. my nova never missed a beat. relable and they just look cool.

just my opion probly nothing wrong with any of the others i just like the nova
Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Great White

HH the 887 is a sweet gun, packs a little heavier punch than the 870 IMO, but i was shooting turkey load in it
Old 09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
I know you didn't mention this gun but I have been shooting a Browning BPS for right at 10 years now. I use it for ducks, deer, dove and skeet shooting. I really like how it ejects the shells out the bottom so there's no hitting anyone in the face with empty casings when you eject. I absolutely love this gun and will be getting another one if this one ever craps out on me. Whatever kind of gun you get, make sure to get the 28" barrel.
I have one of the older engraved BPSs that's in pretty much perfect condition, the way it's holding up I am going to shoot it for the rest of my life.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

my uncle got an 887 last year for duck season and may be getting rid of it before this season due to it being a hunk of junk, has had many problems with it not firing(tried changing shells, bringing to gunsmith, and he keeps this gun thoroughly cleaned) also has shells hang up quite often
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Looking to add a new addition to the cabinet...i've been shooting my xtrema the past 2 seasons or so...now that its that time of the year again im ready and looking for something new...preferably a pump...my xtrema is just getting wore out i believe and is starting to have more and more problems....ive always been a pump fan so im goin back to one...i have narrowed it down to 4 to choose from...first being a 870 express super mag...i already know all about this gun got two regular 870's i know its reliable but i want something different i think....the others are the 887 nitro mag....the stoeger p350 pump or the benelli nova......form wat i can tell the p350 and nova are really the same gun just made by sister companies but does the stoeger perform as well as the nova??

also the 887 is a fine gun but i cant seem to figure out if its truly a good buy or not cause of all the mixed reviews....

any help/opinions/advice would be appreciated...also if anyone has one of these guns in good condition for sale let me know....
Have heard several reports of LEMONS with the Xtrema, from guts falling out to warped barrels. Any gun that has problems after 2 years use is a POS. I would stay away from the Rem Supermag, they are basically a 870 3" gun with the same guts. They will shoot out fast with 3 1/2" running through them. Have run literally cases of 3 1/2" shells through my SBE 1
and my only problems have been 2 broken ejector pins. Used, they are going for $700-$800 which is a bargan. You can also push a fourth shell with the SBE 1.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Have heard several reports of LEMONS with the Xtrema, from guts falling out to warped barrels. Any gun that has problems after 2 years use is a POS. I would stay away from the Rem Supermag, they are basically a 870 3" gun with the same guts. They will shoot out fast with 3 1/2" running through them. Have run literally cases of 3 1/2" shells through my SBE 1
and my only problems have been 2 broken ejector pins. Used, they are going for $700-$800 which is a bargan. You can also push a fourth shell with the SBE 1.
wish my SBE 2 could do that, by the way forgot to mention that I have a nova as a spare gun that I used primarily before my SBE 2 and love it.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,544

I've heard of some issues with the 887...stay wit da B's...Benneli, Browning, Berretta...SON!!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 919

Nova hands down the toughest gun there is you can sinkit under water everyday of the season and it wont rust.I hunt in a very old cyprus swamp and a pond thats a natural spring and the mud is thick.Ive used that gun for a walking stick and plenty other uses.Its never jammed or rusted,The only time it failed was during last years freeze the entire gun froze two mornings in a row.Had to stick the guts in my shirt till they defrosted.Worked fine after that.Hands down the nova is the toughest most reliable shot gun on the market.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
I have one of the older engraved BPSs that's in pretty much perfect condition, the way it's holding up I am going to shoot it for the rest of my life.
I put mine through hell and back duck hunting in the delta and always having it strapped to the rack of my 4wheeler while deer hunting. It's also sat under water for a couple days when Rita hit. I may buy me another one before next hunting season just to have a newer gun.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I've heard of some issues with the 887...stay wit da Best...Browning...SON!!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I've heard of some issues with the 887...stay wit da B's...Benneli, Browning, Berretta...SON!!

the remington 870 wingmaster is another fine pumpgun, too bad they cut corners with the 870 express mags/887.

build a top notch gun and people will buy it. i still like my browning's forged and machined parts better.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

yeah i also agree with the bps being a great gun i have a 12 and a 20 and have never had a problem with either one