SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
whats the difference between the gold and the silver?
Is it worth the extra $200-$300 for the maxus?
The gold has a rounded reciever and a magazine cuttoff, the silver has a semi hump back reciever and no magazine cuttoff. The maxus has the rounded reciever and a magazine cutoff . The maxus is lighter than both the gold and silver .

I like the design of the Maxus ,it has a quick release forearm so when u have to do all that cleaning its easier ....l m a o
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

I've said this 10 times on here, but through the course of the season (I hunt 58 days a year for the last 4 years) benelli's fail far more often than any other brand. It's hard for me to argue with what I see go on all the time. The crazy thing is, 90% of the people with brand new benellis that don't work worth a crap still believe they have the most awesome shotgun ever made. Of our 6 guides that hunt every day, we have 3 brownings, 2 winchesters, and 1 beretta. They all get treated like crap, and all of our guns work all the time. Therefore, I will personally never own a benelli. Now if they feel good, buy one and take a chance, some people do own some that have been working forever, but I would just never be able to talk myself into buying one after what I have seen.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
I've said this 10 times on here, but through the course of the season (I hunt 58 days a year for the last 4 years) benelli's fail far more often than any other brand. It's hard for me to argue with what I see go on all the time. The crazy thing is, 90% of the people with brand new benellis that don't work worth a crap still believe they have the most awesome shotgun ever made. Of our 6 guides that hunt every day, we have 3 brownings, 2 winchesters, and 1 beretta. They all get treated like crap, and all of our guns work all the time. Therefore, I will personally never own a benelli. Now if they feel good, buy one and take a chance, some people do own some that have been working forever, but I would just never be able to talk myself into buying one after what I have seen.

I feel very, very lucky now...
I have been shooting a benelli since 2002 with really no issues!

So what was the issue most were having with them?????
Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Red Snapper

1 shot and jam
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Red Snapper

I also know 2 people that have had a super black since bout the late 90's and they are good guns. But I can also name 3 people off the top of my head that ended up getting rid of them. The Vinci's are too new for me to give an opinion, but so far I think they are good guns.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I don't hunt with a lot of different people and of the ones that have had brownings had trouble. That's almost 100%. That's why I won't own one. I haven't had the first lick of trouble with my Vinci yet. But we will see. I would buy benelli or beretta. Just through my own experience I wouldn't touch browning with a 10 foot pole. Now the BPS is a good gun IMO. I would own one of those. Just not an auto.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Best value in an auto loader today is a Mossberg 930 - Jerry Miculek edition. Great for an entry level 3gun shotgun, got to be good enough for hunting.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
Best value in an auto loader today is a Mossberg 930 - Jerry Miculek edition. Great for an entry level 3gun shotgun, got to be good enough for hunting.
One of my friends had a mossberg auto. That thing was a piece junk. It jammed everytime he shot and also the gun almost fell apart when he shot a 3.5 out of it. The new ones might be better I don't know but that gun was only a few years old
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
One of my friends had a mossberg auto. That thing was a piece junk. It jammed everytime he shot and also the gun almost fell apart when he shot a 3.5 out of it. The new ones might be better I don't know but that gun was only a few years old
I specified a model and edition. I don't know much about the line, but Jerry and his brother are using it in 3 gun when they can (sometimes you have to shoot the provided guns, sometimes a certain sponsors gun). Jerry said it is the only Auto shot gun he doesn't have to wait on to pull the trigger again... this wasn't advertising, this was shootin bull with his brother.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,547

I would assume the higher end mossberg would be acceptable for the average hunter...now a buddy i hunt with has put his browning gold through the ringer...and it still eats the crap out of anything. I want to say its probably 7-8 yr old gun or maybe older...
Old 09-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
I specified a model and edition. I don't know much about the line, but Jerry and his brother are using it in 3 gun when they can (sometimes you have to shoot the provided guns, sometimes a certain sponsors gun). Jerry said it is the only Auto shot gun he doesn't have to wait on to pull the trigger again... this wasn't advertising, this was shootin bull with his brother.
I wasn't saying you were wrong I was just letting people know that not every Mossberg auto is good
Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 27

I have a curvball, Anyone have info on the Benelli Montefeltro? I took a look at it yesterday, it looked and felt nice.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I wasn't saying you were wrong I was just letting people know that not every Mossberg auto is good
Yeah, I wouldn't pick up just any Mossy Shotgun. The package on the Miculek gun is pretty good.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Redfish

Cash: 639

I have a browning silver. Just got it last year. Put maybe 700 to 800 rounds through it. No jams. you do have to clean a browning. I agree with Noodle creek. Everyone talks about a Benelli like it is gods gift to hunters, they are fair guns. I had a buddy's whose jammed right out the box , and still jams after he sent it to benelli.

i guided in south america one summer and we had Beretta Urika 391 and SBE 1

Probably shot 30,000+ rounds through 8 guns that summer, SBE jammed after about 1 box of shells every time, like clockwork. We would actually bring 2 benelli's per person just because we knew it would jam. Berettas did not jam 1 time the ENTIRE summer. Not one single jam.

Benelli's just feel good when you shoulder them, which is why people makes excuses for them jamming.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
I have a curvball, Anyone have info on the Benelli Montefeltro? I took a look at it yesterday, it looked and felt nice.
Bought one last year in 20g w/ 3 inch chamber. I hunt doves and ducks with this gun. Never, ever a jam or problem shooting low brass to heavy steel loads. This is the only gun I bring hunting now.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 639

dont get me wrong, It might jam not jam, some are good. But put 2000 rounds through it and let me know what happens. your spring will loosen up, jam, jam, jam
Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 27

Well, after all of this great advice and stories. I think they all suck ahahah. The fact is, every tool like this can have a problem no matter the brand. I currently own a BPS and have had good luck, so im going to stick with Browning. Im gunna go pick up a nice Silver 12ga with a 3" chamber and 28" barrel this week. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Got a Benelli Nova years ago as a gift and I never really cared for it. I've never had a single problem with it, but it just never felt right to me. I won a Beretta 391 last year, and that thing is amazing. However, I am partial to pumps, so my old 870 Express is always my go to.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Also have a 4 or 5 year warranty with my Vinci. Get whatever you prefer and what fits you best. People that have brownings and berettas are gonna say benellis suck. People who have benellis are gonna say brownings/berettas suck. I like berettas and benellis and I think they are both great guns. Benelli felt better to me. But I know someone who had a née browning out the box and wouldnt even shoot. Firing pin wouldn't hit the shell. I personally wouldn't buy a browning. But that's why they have chocolate and vanilla. Someone mentioned the beretta 391. That is a great gun specially for the price. Good luck with whatever you decide. Hope you fall in love with it like I have my benelli!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Your right, people will say whatever they own is the best. At the end of the day, it's all opinion. Browning makes sweet rifles and one of the best pump shotguns on the market. I just feel their gold and silver autos are junk. My dad has a browning gold 10 gauge that is junk. My buddy bought a browning gold 10 gauge and it's junk. Been back to browning twice and both times they told him he needed to clean it. There hadn't even been 2 boxes of shells through it! My beretta has jammed a few times in 2 years and it was due to it not being cleaned all season and getting rained on. Usually a shot of oil on the bolt is a bandaid to get me through the day til I can break it down. I like benelli, but prefer beretta. I like their gas system better than inertia. And that's another preference people can debate on for days