SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 632

This is a field study no internet. The distance was the same for all shots and same name brand of ammo which was all home defense loads. Barrel length was the same for all weapons used for the test.

9mm notice two shots in ballistic gelatin
9mm.jpg

40 cal.
40cal.jpg

45acp
45acp.jpg

Tell me which one you would take a chance with rattling around in your body.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Tripletail

Internet studies=paperwork being sent to them
Field studies=see results right then and there with your own eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDd View Post

Shot placement and efficient bullet expansion will always win this battle

http://www.abaris.net/info/ballistic...ping-power.htm
Old 10-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Who cares how far it goes through your ballistics gel. Would a 9mm round through the chest just "piss you off"? If you believe that you are one ignorant sob
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Play nice
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Red Snapper

10 4. Delete the post if its not per the rules
Old 10-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Tripletail

ignorant sob[/QUOTE]

I'm just giving facts and I don't remember calling anyone names on he and the only ignorant person here is the one that has to resort to cussing someone over the Internet. This is only done because the person doing the cussing is to ignorant to use anything but a cuss word because his vocabulary is not that broad. Hope I didn't use to many big words for you. If you would like a dictionary to look up the words used let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Apple dominating the WORLD
Old 10-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

.45 ACP period for me. I was in the USMC when they switched to 9mm and everyone who could kept their 45's. The Marine Corps pistol team never switched nor did Recon. Now they are going back to 45's after poor performance in Iraq and Afghanistan Corps wide. That speaks volumes. The majority of LEO's i know choose .45's or .357's if they have a choice. If I ever have the need to shoot someone I want them to STOP right there, a .45 does that. Just my .02
Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

I'm with McNabb I'm not a hand gun guy but if the bullet didn't bounce off your gel that means it will drop a motha frigger
Old 10-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
.45 ACP period for me. I was in the USMC when they switched to 9mm and everyone who could kept their 45's. The Marine Corps pistol team never switched nor did Recon. Now they are going back to 45's after poor performance in Iraq and Afghanistan Corps wide. That speaks volumes. The majority of LEO's i know choose .45's or .357's if they have a choice. If I ever have the need to shoot someone I want them to STOP right there, a .45 does that. Just my .02
Very well said and a very intelligent man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Apple dominating the WORLD
Old 10-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Red Snapper

If you're going to speak about someone's limited vocabulary, at least have decent grammar skills...
Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

I have all 3 calibers I've shot all 3 calibers....no doubt .45 acp is the most devastating round down range...but I'd deff trust my life with my Springfield xdm 9 mm and all 19 rounds of hell that is in it...all 3 will kill a man PERIOD...I may stop u in one shot from my glock 21 which is why I love this round but I'm also telling you If I don't stop you in 1 shot from my 9mm xdm I will have 18 more to follow and I practice a whole lot to assure I will be as devastatingly accurate as possible in a situation I need to be
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Ive got 2 that are both fantastic for what they are........1 is Springfield XDs 45. Other is Ruger SR-22. 22 is light and elegant......45 is an *** woopin waitin to happen! Both are very thin for CC.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Smokin

Carry what you will, nobody is a lesser being based on their caliber of choice.

This debate will never end, but the fact remains that either of these rounds placed properly will dispatch a man - all have been doing so for many years.

Like proper shot placement, proper spelling and proper punctuation are a must in any confrontation... There's no stopping power without proper placement, no matter what is being thrown.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
A 9mm has no knock down power? Lmao seriously? Let me shoot you in the chest with a 9mm then
Collin Ferguson boarded a train and shot over 20 people with a 9mm. Some in the head. Out of all the people he shot, I think only 2 or 3 died. A 9 is not an effective weapon especially against a cracked out thug.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Collin Ferguson boarded a train and shot over 20 people with a 9mm. Some in the head. Out of all the people he shot, I think only 2 or 3 died. A 9 is not an effective weapon especially against a cracked out thug.

I never heard about that one... Interesting.

Old thread coming back to life?

This is about the only place I can read about guns right now, the rig I'm on has a block on every gun related site I've tried. It's brutal!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.e.hagen View Post
I'm with McNabb I'm not a hand gun guy but if the bullet didn't bounce off your gel that means it will drop a motha frigger
Not necessarily. It might take 4 bullets from a 9 to drop a "motha frigger" which means while you are shooting him he is still shooting at you.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

The most effective caliber is the one you can shoot accurately. You wouldn't give your 7 year old a 10 gauge to take teal hunting and expect him to drop em every shot. No, because he can't accurately handle that size weapon. If you can shoot a great pattern and double tap a .45 accurately, then that's your caliber. If you can't then try .40. Still can't? Try 9mm. Still can't? Try .380. I'd rather be missed by .50 cal than hit by a .22. Debate over.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Debate over.
Not really! With practice, any caliber that you choose you can be accurate with. You should always practice. Simply buying a pistol and sticking it in your pants won't really cut it without practice at the range. Choose a round, choose a gun that fits your hands nicely and then load up on ball ammo and go to the range. Go to the range often. Stay practiced up. The more you practice the more accurate you will be. So there, debate over!!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
The most effective caliber is the one you can shoot accurately. You wouldn't give your 7 year old a 10 gauge to take teal hunting and expect him to drop em every shot. No, because he can't accurately handle that size weapon. If you can shoot a great pattern and double tap a .45 accurately, then that's your caliber. If you can't then try .40. Still can't? Try 9mm. Still can't? Try .380. I'd rather be missed by .50 cal than hit by a .22. Debate over.
Amen to that. You could kill somebody with a pellet gun with a well placed shot. It all depends on effectiveness of the shooter.

If you look at all the shootout videos today, you will see that most of the thugs perpetrating the crime will turn tail as soon as they see their "victims" are also armed. They don't care what caliber it is. They just know this mo fo has a gun too, and he looks like he's actually trained with it. I don't care what you carry, JUST CARRY!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Amen to that. You could kill somebody with a pellet gun with a well placed shot.
Oh come on people. The purpose is to stop the threat with one shot! Otherwise, you are still getting shot at by the perp. You are in an extremely tense situation when it comes to a shoot out. You may not be the most accurate with 10 lbs of adrenaline beating your brains out. So why choose a pellet gun or a .22? That's nuts! All this well placed shot stuff, like you just going to be standing there able to take careful aim. All you can do is aim somewhere center mass. You don't get to take the time to aim and shoot the heart. This ain't deer huntin.