SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 980
FlagUS Conceal Carry vs Open Carry

I've had a ccl for over 15yrs and thank God have never had to pull my weapon. I live in Baton Rouge which has a "little" crime problem. I do not leave home with out a hand gun and usually a shotgun under the seat in my truck. When I grew up in the country every body had guns and guns did not make people nervous (hell we even had shotguns hanging in our back windows Of our trucks on school property in high school so we could go hunting after classes).
Now then to my point, I'm seriously considering open carry. It is our right in Louisiana and as we know, if you don't exercise and work to protect a right the libs want to take it away. People need to understand, guns are not the problem, mans evil heart is the problem. I believe only the Lord Jesus and scripture is the only thing that will change a man's heart.
I welcome you guys thoughts. It's still a free country (for now) we are all intitled to an opinion.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Only real problem I have with open carry is it draws attention to you if someone decides to get stupid and then you become a target by the bad guy.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,453

most people dont realize that u can have open carry. but u can and most probably will be questioned by a cop if he sees u. and the cop can disarm u if he wants to esp if others are feeling uneasy and complaining. thats why i have ccl. draw less attention to urself.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 565

I've been considering open carry too. Drawing attention is gonna happen for sure. Still unsure.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
most people dont realize that u can have open carry. but u can and most probably will be questioned by a cop if he sees u. and the cop can disarm u if he wants to esp if others are feeling uneasy and complaining. thats why i have ccl. draw less attention to urself.
Not true. A cop can only legally confiscate a firearm if its suspected of being used in a crime.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Only real problem I have with open carry is it draws attention to you if someone decides to get stupid and then you become a target by the bad guy.
That's one of the reasons keeping me from open carrying everywhere. I'd rather be the annonymus face in the crowd. That away if some dip$hit opened fire, I wouldn't be the first target..... Hopefully. It would give me a chance to reach my CCW without making it obvious and put that SOB down. Also, I know it would make people in public uneasy, as much as that bugs me that these liberals get all wound up when a law abiding citizen is exercising his right. For now I'll conceal.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

So I can walk in Wal Mart with a 45 strap to my side
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Unless the retailer has a sign posted at the front entrance "No Guns" the answer is YES! And for those that don't Beleive that you might ask the Gonzales Police Dept. how this issue worked out for them.

I do open carry at times. Example if I'm filling up with gas at a station alone at night or at Albertson's late at night.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I know the Wal Mart in Lafayette is posted No Guns Allowed. Also, the Mall and Buffalo Wild Wings. These are placeed that I refuse to go to unless it is the only option at the time. If I do go, I may or may not be carrying. The beauty of concealment!!

If you wil not support my right to carry a firearm, I will not support your business!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I know the Wal Mart in Lafayette is posted No Guns Allowed. Also, the Mall and Buffalo Wild Wings. These are placeed that I refuse to go to unless it is the only option at the time. If I do go, I may or may not be carrying. The beauty of concealment!!

If you wil not support my right to carry a firearm, I will not support your business!
I too avoid retailers that deny my right to carry. Cabela's in Gonzales has a sign posted no open carry allowed but if you have a ccl you are permitted to carry concealed in the store. The only place I don't carry is at church, and I do feel uncomfortable without it. I can show you 2 churches within 20 miles of my house where mass killings occurred (I personally think the state should change this part of the ccl law). BTW if you do carry concealed weapon in a place that is prohibited and caught you could lose your permit.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Tripletail

I don't go to theaters. Most have "No Guns Allowed" posted in small print (you have to look hard to find it most times). Most have little to no security and as we all know by now people in a "gun free" zone are sitting ducks to a low life coward.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

The only time I have seen anyone open carry was at a local coffee shop and this guy was about 150lb soaking wet and it looked like he had the biggest pistol he could find strapped on... kinda funny if I say so. I am going after first to take class for permit so I can not only feel safer for my family but also when we travel out of state and I just carry my gun in the car.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "H" View Post
BTW if you do carry concealed weapon in a place that is prohibited and caught you could lose your permit.
I'm aware. However I would rather take my chances with a judge than against an armed psych with only a knife and my boots. Chuck Norris might be able to, but not me. I bet those people in Aurora, Virgina Tech, and Conn. would feel the same way.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975
FlagUS Churches

Quote:
Originally Posted by "H" View Post
I too avoid retailers that deny my right to carry. Cabela's in Gonzales has a sign posted no open carry allowed but if you have a ccl you are permitted to carry concealed in the store. The only place I don't carry is at church, and I do feel uncomfortable without it. I can show you 2 churches within 20 miles of my house where mass killings occurred (I personally think the state should change this part of the ccl law). BTW if you do carry concealed weapon in a place that is prohibited and caught you could lose your permit.

U.(1) The entity which owns the business or has authority over the administration of a church, synagogue, or mosque shall have the authority to authorize any person issued a valid concealed handgun permit as authorized by the provisions of this Section to carry a concealed handgun in the church, synagogue, or mosque.

(2) The provisions of this Subsection shall not be construed to limit or prohibit any church, synagogue, or mosque from employing armed security guards who are either certified law enforcement officers or who are authorized to carry concealed handguns pursuant to the provisions of this Section.

(3) If the church, synagogue, or mosque authorizes the carrying of concealed handguns as authorized by the provisions of this Subsection, the pastor, priest, minister, or other authority of the church, synagogue, or mosque shall inform the congregation of the authorization
Old 12-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post

I carry at the mall and Wal-Mart. I haven't seen signs at either. I'm not gonna go out and look for a 12 font word on a window 2" from the ground either. If worst come to worst and the sign is not conspicuous, LE will just ask you to respect the wishes of the establishment for you to leave. you don't want to do business with someone that doesn't respect your rights anyway. I haven't noticed a sign at WalMart on Pinhook. I suggest you talk to the manager of your WalMart and inform him that corporate policy is to follow the state law on conceal carry rights.

Last edited by Bluechip; 12-17-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 615

Kibb, in college I worked at the mall of Acadiana. The head of security said he would ban anyone he noticed carrying. He said if he sees it then you are brandishing your weapon. It came up when I asked him about a customer open carrying.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Trophy Trout

I'm speaking of CC. At most, I may print on accident. Printing isn't brandishing. Anyhow, if a business wants to ban me for carrying.

Last edited by Bluechip; 12-17-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Trophy Trout

That's why he's security and not LE. He doesn't know what brandishing is.

Last edited by Bluechip; 12-17-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Redfish

Cash: 615

Yea, I agree there is a difference between the two. He was a sheriffs officer for 25 years and was also the founder of crimestoppers so he says. I don't know much myself about CC, just telling you his opinion on it. I CC without a permit because it seems like the law isn't on your side if you use your gun to protect yourself permit or not.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Ling

Lousiana is an open carry state.... There is no brandishing laws as per my cc instructor.