SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 583
Default 35 Wheelen

Anybody have any experience with the 35 Whelen? Just wanted to get some opinions before i did, any likes or dis-likes, brands, ammo etc.

thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

My brother has one...only problem is it kicks like hellz...seems to be accurate....
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Best gun for "primitive" IMO....can be used all gun season with no problems shooting the longer ranges. If I did not already have a 45-70 that would be the caliber I would buy. The kick factor should not be a issue for a adult....my 10 year old brother can shoot my 45-70 and they pack a punch.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

We have 2 H&R .35 Whelens & CVA stalker elite in .35 W, the CVA is a lot easier on the shoulder. The H&R's kick like a damn mule! They make my lead sled jump off the table. We shoot Rem core lokts 200gr with no issues.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 583

Thanks

I think i am going to pick one up for next year, seems to be the better gun for the longer shots.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

444? I hear they shoot real flat and the kick isnt as bad
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

CVA apex .35w is all my ppl use at camp. They use it all the time. I got a 50cal muzzle loader for sale still in box. CVA buckhorn. If interested pm
Old 01-31-2013, 11:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
444? I hear they shoot real flat and the kick isnt as bad
I have a CVA optima elite 45-70 and my gpaw has the same gun in .444....both guns shoot damn near identical. Shoot a deer with either one and they won't go far!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Man I'm having terrible accuracy issues, with not 1 but 2 cva apex's in 35 whelen!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Try shooting sober.....thats where I was going wrong too
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Try shooting sober.....thats where I was going wrong too
Lol! Nah Dink! I wish this was the case I've got a half a dozen other rifles that will clover leaf off the same sandbags @ 100yds sober or drunk, in fact when I'm half drunk my shootin gets better I'm a Lil more relaxed
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 AM
Red Snapper

There was another guy on here a couple months ago that said he had bad accuracy with the apex in the 35 whelen! ( 6 in. Groups) They installed an oversized hingepin and he claims it solved his problems!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
There was another guy on here a couple months ago that said he had bad accuracy with the apex in the 35 whelen! ( 6 in. Groups) They installed an oversized hingepin and he claims it solved his problems!
What the Sam hell does a oversized hinge pin have to do with accuracy??? Especially fixing a 6" group?

I know the 2 H&Rs in Whelen we have do not like the Hornady Superformance. Maybe a 6" group, They like the 200 gr Core lokts,
The CVA stalker shoots the Superformance well, haven't tried core lokts in it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Red Snapper

Google cva apex 35 whelen accuracy issues, there a few other that claim the same!
There's a guy named mike bell the produces the pins for cva's and Thompson centers!
Mike bellm . Com I belive! There's a market for them soo maybe it is an issue!
The claim is to much slack in the hinge area cause poor accuracy with not having a solid bacwall to fire on!
Now I do have 2 h&rs 45-70's that r flat out shooters at 100-200!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Red Snapper

CVA APEX 1x and 2x Oversize Hinge Pins
Bellm Custom Accuracy Oversized Hinge Pins for CVA APEX and Optima Elite remove the shake and rattle at the hinge area, improve accuracy, and give the precision fit you find in the world's most expensive high grade guns.

Any looseness at the hinge pin results in less than optimum accuracy. Tighten up the fit at the hinge pin, and accuracy nearly always improves.
A snug fit at the hinge is essential to best accuracy.

A barrel that shakes and rattles cannot be expected to place shots in the same place each time. You would not accept a bolt action rifle with a loose barrel, so why be expected to settle for a loose barrel on a break open gun?

Our customers have had great success with our Oversize Hinge Pins for nearly 25 years, starting with the Contender, followed by the Encore/Pro Hunter, and now the same principle is being applied to the CVA Apex rifle.

We have had literally thousands of reports of improved accuracy from the precise fit these pins provide at the hinge with all barrels.

Muzzle loader barrels? I have been particularly impressed with the results from muzzle loader barrels, even though muzzle loader barrels do not subject the gun to anything near the stress the cartridge barrels do.

Are you willing to accept a loose barrel fit? There are tens of thousands of shooters using our oversize hinge pins that would strongly disagree with the under size hinge pins and loose hinge fit coming from the factories.

There are now 2 sizes of APEX pins so that if one size is not quite large enough, you go to the next larger size. Start with the 1x size. If the 1x size is not large enough, move up to the 2x size.

The 1x and 2x sizes will cover probably close to 90% of barrel and frame hole combinations for a nice, precise fit. While the 1x pin covers the vast majority of needs, it also serves as an economical "gauge pin" to determine if you need a larger pin. Buying and learning how to accurately use small hole guages and micrometers is much, much more expensive!

Simply install factory pin first with a GOOD QUALITY heavy oil to lubricate the holes and prevent galling when you tap in the oversize pin. The factory pin serves as a guide pin to keep all three holes aligned while you tap in the oversize pin.
Some degree of force is necessary since you are upgrading the fit from what is known as a "slip fit" to an "interference fit".

A small steel hammer is fine, though some prefer to use a soft face hammer such as made from brass. I only use a small jewelers type steel hammer, myself. If it takes more force than this, then reaming may be necessary for one or two holes.

Based on our many years of experience with oversize hinge pins, you should notice an immediate difference in fit, feel, and accuracy.

In stock and ready to ship!

Note: The stock Optima Elite pin is 1mm shorter than the Apex. In order to work on the Optima Elite, be sure to center the pin.

BELLM CUSTOM CVA APEX 1x Oversize Hinge Pin $11.95
At approx. .3943", the 1x Oversize Apex Hinge Pin is the first place to start to tighten up the hinge area, improve accuracy, and take care of the rattle that is common between the barrel and frame.
BELLM CUSTOM CVA APEX 2x Oversize Hinge Pin $12.95
At approx, .3946", this is the second step towards improved performance at the hinge. Self install, use the 1x as a GAUGE to whether the 2x will work in your combination.