SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193
Default Preffered Carry Weapon and Stlye

What do y'all carry and how? Are you a several gun and holster guy or a stick with what you know works guy?
I carry a Gov. Model 1911 or a Springfield XD Tactical. Both in .45 ACP and both are carried in Kydex holsters strong side behind the point of the hip.
I open carry so I prefer a full sized gun. If im not hiding it theres no since carrying a small weapon. I'd carry my AR if it wouldn't get in the way at work.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:17 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,826

LCR9 or Bersa. 380 in front pocket.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Bersa 380 in a hybrid holster in the 4 o'clock position. Don't knock it till you try it. The gun is cheap as $ hit but I've never had any issues with it and its amazingly accurate. I've dropped a possum at a good distance on a drive-by! I usually shoot Hornady Critical Defense. This setup is starting to be replaced by my other squeeze.

S&W MP9 VTAC in either a custom made kydex holster in the 4 o'clock position (there isn't as much of a cant as I would prefer to minimize printing) or I've also grown fond of the Bravo Concealment D.O.S. holster carried AIWB in the 1 o'clock position. I also shoot the Critical Defense rounds with this, but after reading MG's responses in the other thread I may start looking for a different ammo.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
LCR9 or Bersa. 380 in front pocket.
The Ruger line of LC Pistols are great. Our daughter has the LCP380. For its small size its a really accurate pistol. I can regularly make hits on my 12x14" plates out to 30 yards with that tiny 380. As usual, Ruger has another line of quality, good shooting guns.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:41 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Bersa 380 in a hybrid holster in the 4 o'clock position. Don't knock it till you try it. The gun is cheap as $ hit but I've never had any issues with it and its amazingly accurate. I've dropped a possum at a good distance on a drive-by! I usually shoot Hornady Critical Defense. This setup is starting to be replaced by my other squeeze.

S&W MP9 VTAC in either a custom made kydex holster in the 4 o'clock position (there isn't as much of a cant as I would prefer to minimize printing) or I've also grown fond of the Bravo Concealment D.O.S. holster carried AIWB in the 1 o'clock position. I also shoot the Critical Defense rounds with this, but after reading MG's responses in the other thread I may start looking for a different ammo.
I have never used any of the Critical Defense ammo. If it comes from Hornady its gona be good. I have carried Hornady XTP's and killed a few rabbits and coons with. It did its job but didn't expand much. As you know rabbits are super thin skinned. I did shoot a rabbit with a 180grn Speer Dot Short Barrel. Instead of just punching a hole like the XTP the GDSB punched an entry hole and nearly removed the front leg on the exit side. I could have put a tennis ball in the exit side rib cage.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
The Ruger line of LC Pistols are great. Our daughter has the LCP380. For its small size its a really accurate pistol. I can regularly make hits on my 12x14" plates out to 30 yards with that tiny 380. As usual, Ruger has another line of quality, good shooting guns.
I love their pistols. My mom, wife and daughter all carry one that I bought for them.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724

Glock 27 .40 at 4 o'clock during the summer. Sig P220 in the small of the back spring, fall and winter. Federal hydro shocks in both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Redfish

Hydra... auto correct...

Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Glock 27 .40 at 4 o'clock during the summer. Sig P220 in the small of the back spring, fall and winter. Federal hydro shocks in both.

I always keep my gun behind my hip. Small of the back is great too. I like to be able to have the ability to turn my body and use it as a shield from my gun. Turn sideways and stiff arm someone while drawing your gun. He aint getting to my gun. When doing carry practice drills I practice turning my body, drawing and firing from the hip at arms length. It may sound stupid but at a gas station it just may be that close and fast. 2 rounds from the hip while withdrawing and bringing the weapon up to a traditional stance and preparing for additional shots.

Last edited by duckman1911; 01-30-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Redfish

Probability says it should never happen. My bet is when probability is wrong, it will be that close and fast. Good points all around @duckman1911

Old 01-30-2014, 11:18 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Probability says it should never happen. My bet is when probability is wrong, it will be that close and fast. Good points all around @duckman1911

My thoughts exactly Dave. If it was a perfect world we wouldn't need to carry a gun. If you're gona carry a gun you have to dedicate yourself to it. I tell people a gun is no different from a seat belt. You pray everyday that you wont need it but you better have it if you do need it. Carrying a gun and being willing to use it is a world of its own. One night it led me into the scariest and most focused situation of my life.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 PM
Ling

Quote:
I always keep my gun behind my hip. Small of the back is great too. I like to be able to have the ability to turn my body and use it as a shield from my gun. Turn sideways and stiff arm someone while drawing your gun. He aint getting to my gun. When doing carry practice drills I practice turning my body, drawing and firing from the hip at arms length. It may sound stupid but at a gas station it just may be that close and fast. 2 rounds from the hip while withdrawing and bringing the weapon up to a traditional stance and preparing for additional shots.
A quicker and more concealed draw is one of the things I like the most about appendix carry. Your arms are already naturally around your core for quick access and there isn't the tell tale arm and shoulder sweeping back to draw as you would have with carrying in the hip position. I find your weapon is also better protected when in larger crowds when bumping into people may be an issue. I know I've had instances where I bump into somebody who would feel my gun on my hip and give me that awkward look. In the appendix position, your arms are a natural barrier..... Unless of course you are a habitual hugger. Lol!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 PM
Redfish

Quote:
A quicker and more concealed draw is one of the things I like the most about appendix carry. Your arms are already naturally around your core for quick access and there isn't the tell tale arm and shoulder sweeping back to draw as you would have with carrying in the hip position. I find your weapon is also better protected when in larger crowds when bumping into people may be an issue. I know I've had instances where I bump into somebody who would feel my gun on my hip and give me that awkward look. In the appendix position, your arms are a natural barrier..... Unless of course you are a habitual hugger. Lol!
My gut gets in the way!

Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I open carry so im used to the looks. I wasn't trying to knock your style and I apologize if it came across that way. Everyone has their own style that works for them. If it works for you the go with it. Im no firearms expert and don't claim to be. Im just an old country boy that shoots a lot. I trained under a guy that was(he retired 2 months ago) our city SWAT marksman, has been a firearms trainer for 20+ years, and also teaches our CCW course. He has also shot and killed two people. Oh he has beat my azz in almost every match we shot together. I may beat him on time but he can shoot snake eyes at 50 yards with a Smith and Wesson revolver.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 AM
Ling

Quote:
I open carry so im used to the looks. I wasn't trying to knock your style and I apologize if it came across that way. Everyone has their own style that works for them. If it works for you the go with it. Im no firearms expert and don't claim to be. Im just an old country boy that shoots a lot. I trained under a guy that was(he retired 2 months ago) our city SWAT marksman, has been a firearms trainer for 20+ years, and also teaches our CCW course. He has also shot and killed two people. Oh he has beat my azz in almost every match we shot together. I may beat him on time but he can shoot snake eyes at 50 yards with a Smith and Wesson revolver.
No offense taken. I'm just offering an alternative method and the reason I like it. A lot of people see carrying in the front part of your pants is for gang bangers only! Lol. And trust me, I'm far from any kind of expert. Guns just make me happy!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 AM
Sailfish

I just noticed that I misspelled STYLE in the title.lmao
Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

I carry my Ruger LCP.380 in a pocket holster in back strong side pocket. My Kahr 9 mm in the 4oclock position in a crossbreed holster or when I will be sitting for a long period of time I carry the Kahr in a ankle holster.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
I carry my Ruger LCP.380 in a pocket holster in back strong side pocket. My Kahr 9 mm in the 4oclock position in a crossbreed holster or when I will be sitting for a long period of time I carry the Kahr in a ankle holster.
How do you like the Crossbreed holster? I have been contempating getting one. Had never heard og them until my wife saw them on Glenn Beck.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,316

Waiting on my CC permit now. Have a LCR9. What holsters do you like and why?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Sailfish

I have some Fobus kydex holsters I use for eveyday carry. Kydex aint as pretty as leather but its super tough and light. If you do happen to screw it up (not sure how that can be done) you're out 25 bucks instead of much more than that for leather. The only draw back is that kydex will wear on your guns finish at contact points. I tend to not worry much about the finish. My carry guns are tools.