SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Default Which Browning?

Alright I have narrowed it down to the Browning X bolt stainless stalker or the BAR longtrac stalker. I am buying it for myself and my 11 to use next season and my 4 year old in a few years so it will be a .270. The X bolt is a better feeling and balanced gun over the BAR. Is the recoil reduction in the BAR worth sacraficing the comfort? I don't want my kids giving up because they are scared of the recoil. I really want the X bolt but I would rather hunt with them. I have one of the Limbsaver pads that you can slip on to add dampening. Has anyone shot both and is the BAR a lot less recoil than the Xbolt?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

BAR has a lot less felt recoil, but you could be giving up an inch of accuracy. Buddy of mine has a BAR safari in .308 he loves it (shoots < 1 moa). I've heard the BARs do well in 30 caliber since .308 & 30-06 were used for so long in auto's. could be an old wives tale who knows.

.270 has a pretty harsh recoil in a lighter bolt gun. That's why i got a 7-08.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I've been shooting my .270 bolt action since Jr. High and will get another one if/when this one falls apart. My 7 year old cousin shot it for a while and I believe my younger brother used it when I couldn't hunt due to shoulder surgery, he was around 7 or 8 at the time.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

270 is a rather big gun for an 11 y/o. Very likely to develop a flinch when shooting it that young. Ps. get a rem 700
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

BAR will be a little heavier, as far as which shoots a tighter group......you're shooting deer, not chimunks. You still need to come by the camp & look at this gun for those boys.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
BAR will be a little heavier, as far as which shoots a tighter group......you're shooting deer, not chimunks. You still need to come by the camp & look at this gun for those boys.
I'm heading up this weekend. Are you going? And refresh my memory as to which gun you talking about.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is it October YET? View Post
I'm heading up this weekend. Are you going? And refresh my memory as to which gun you talking about.
I'm going this w/e.
Ruger compact, I'll bring it.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 600

Quote:
I have one of the Limbsaver pads that you can slip on to add dampening. Has anyone shot both and is the BAR a lot less recoil than the Xbolt?
I'd go with the X Bolt over the BAR. You can get managed recoil rounds for the 270. That would help the kids more than adding length to the gun as a limbsaver would do.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600

Neither one, I'd buy a Rem 700 and with the money you'd save you could buy the kids a .243 or 7mm-08 to pass around. I love my Remington rifles, every one I've had has shot 1" groups or less at 100yrds out of the box. But if you must choose the Browning I'd say go with the one that feels more comfortable. The recoil shouldn't be too bad in a .270.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBroussard83 View Post
Neither one, I'd buy a Rem 700 and with the money you'd save you could buy the kids a .243 or 7mm-08 to pass around. I love my Remington rifles, every one I've had has shot 1" groups or less at 100yrds out of the box. But if you must choose the Browning I'd say go with the one that feels more comfortable. The recoil shouldn't be too bad in a .270.
The reason I want a Browning is that they last forever and are of a higher quality. The Remington just seems cheaply made when you hold it beside a Browning. To each their own I guess...I'm just going to buy the kids something else like wtretrievers Ruger then just sell it when they get older. The wife is going to love me buying two guns.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Ling

Default ???

Quote:
The reason I want a Browning is that they last forever and are of a higher quality. The Remington just seems cheaply made when you hold it beside a Browning. To each their own I guess...I'm just going to buy the kids something else like wtretrievers Ruger then just sell it when they get older. The wife is going to love me buying two guns.
cheep quality? what models are you looking at? Rem is a better gun than browning. Go check out shooting forums and see how many people are shooting brownings for great accuracy and reliability. I have been involved with one of the top shooting forums for about 6 months now and I haven't heard of one person on their using a browning rifle or browning actions, etc. however rem is used very frequently.

Good luck with your purchase but as said before you can get a better rifle for much less, with browning you paying for a name.

Not to say that browning is a total piece of junk or nothing, they are nice guns. But they are extremely overpriced because of the name. Because you can get better guns for cheaper

Last edited by FF_T_Warren; 04-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

IMHO (try not to get burned at the stake here) Browning has always made top notch shotguns, pistols, and some NICE hunting rifles.

John Browning is probably the greatest firearms designer.....EVER.

I would agree that if you compare a bone stock remmy sps vs. a browning synthetic x or a bolt, the browning probably has a better fit and finish. The accuracy will be comparable.

this rifle is basically the same 700 i built, and there's really nothing cheap about it

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tion-2010.aspx

anyways, this thread is about brownings, sorry
Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Ling

Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
IMHO (try not to get burned at the stake here) Browning has always made top notch shotguns, pistols, and some NICE hunting rifles.

John Browning is probably the greatest firearms designer.....EVER.

I would agree that if you compare a bone stock remmy sps vs. a browning synthetic x or a bolt, the browning probably has a better fit and finish. The accuracy will be comparable.

this rifle is basically the same 700 i built, and there's really nothing cheap about it

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tion-2010.aspx
True on the looks. the older rem700adl is much better looking than the new ones(I hate the wood stock with a plastic cap on the forend, that looks like junk) but is that worth the price for em. Not a chance in my opinion because the stock on the browning would be the only thing that catches my eye over the rem but if you were to have the same stock stocks as rem used to use, I think spending the money on the browning would just be insane.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

Buy a Browning over the Remington and you won't be sorry.
The reason most people buy Remington is because they can't afford
or don't want to spend the extra money on a Browning.

Now back to the question.
I have a Bar and A-Bolt .270. Both are great guns but I perfer the BAR.
I have been shooting this gun for 20+ years and no problems at all.
Will but the X-Bolt soon.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Ling

That's a good theory but not accurate. I personally have over $4500 tied up in 3 guns, so I have the money to afford a browning. However I would never buy one because all it is is an overpriced name. What about the browning makes it better than the rem? And don't say stock b/c those can be replaced and already talked about that. If they ain't taken care of they gonna rust just like a rem and obviously rem actions shoot better because I've never heard of anyone building a high dollar/accuracy rifle on a browning action.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Get the X-bolt with a BOSS. I started shooting a 300 win mag browning a-bolt when I was prob 11 or 12 years old. With the BOSS, that .270 will kick like a 243. But it will be loud so make sure to use good hearing protection. If u don't know a BOSS is a recoil reducer. I been shootin brownings all my life. And would never change unless it was to something better like a sako or something.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 653

Quote:
I've never heard of anyone building a high dollar/accuracy rifle on a browning action
Yes you have. As seen here

Quote:
Rem is a better gun than browning
Thats your opinion. A rather un informed one, but still, your's.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Ling

Default Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwane View Post
Yes you have. As seen here

Thats your opinion. A rather un informed one, but still, your's.
yea you are the only one I've heard of. And I've talked to several very experienced shooters and they felt the same way I did, very hard to believe. It can be done but to consistently hold .25moa is highly unlikely with that gun and if you are then you need to shoot competition
Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Ling

My biggest thing with browning is it's just overpriced simple as that. It's not a piece of junk or nothing but why pay several hundred dollars more for the same or less quality rifle as the much cheaper rem. I'll tell you, to have a lil deer head sticker for the back glass of your truck and the name. There's nothing about it that makes it a better purchase. I mean there's no super weather protection on it that makes it special or nothing. You can get the same or better performance out of a rem. That's all I'm trying to say. It's not that it's a piece of junk, it's just way overpriced
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I paid $650 for my abolt 300wsm with a boss. It was a few years back but I think overpriced would have to be in the $1k range. I paid right around $1300 for my abolt and a Zeiss Conquest 4-12x50. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me. I paid $1700 for my sbe II. Get what ya pay for! I stay away from "Remington Country!" lol