SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043
Default Guide Feedback Wanted

My company has booked a trip with a charter service on BL next month. We will be staying the night and fishing the following morning. I've never been on a guided fishing trip or hunt, was wanting to know some tips to make it easy on the guide, maybe some do's and don'ts. Don't wanna be "that guy" thats the tool of the group lol. I'll bring my own rods and reels, got tackle too, or would they prefer to supply that so all my s**ts not in the way? What if we are catching straight pickles and the guide is fine with that, is it rude to suggest doing something else? And yes I do plan on drinking heavily the night before, but I will be fine. lol Thanks for any help.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

If your equipment sucks dont bring it. Guides will have plenty of jigheads and plastics for you. Its not wrong to ask a guide to try something different, but if you do and dont catch fish dont get mad at him. He brought you to what he thought was the best spot at the time
Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
If your equipment sucks dont bring it. Guides will have plenty of jigheads and plastics for you. Its not wrong to ask a guide to try something different, but if you do and dont catch fish dont get mad at him. He brought you to what he thought was the best spot at the time
Thanks. Yea I doubt I would suggest anything in fear of that happening. Also what is a fair tip? Not sure if the company will provide this or not but regardless I would like to know what to tip if I wanted to.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Thanks. Yea I doubt I would suggest anything in fear of that happening. Also what is a fair tip? Not sure if the company will provide this or not but regardless I would like to know what to tip if I wanted to.
same as a restaurant 10-20% depending on service
Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Great White

before the trip starts its not wrong to say what you want though. If yall want to target big fish and arent worried about limits, then ask if he thinks it is a good day for that. The best way to have a trip you enjoy is to talk with the guide before you leave the dock, if possible the night before, and tell him what you want out of the trip otherwise he will just go where the best chance to catch fish is.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I would not bring your tackle unless you just have a small box with like few topwater or other baits

Guides have all the plastic and jig heads you need

Less stuff better off ... I would not bring more than 2 rods either

And as far as fish go the guide is going to take you where he knows fish are rather pickles or not .. Big trout fishing is not going to produce you numbers and as a guide we get paid for catching fish period
Yes there are days you get into a pile of nice trout all 3lbs and few hogs but if it's a weekend that will likely not happen.

Always remember he fishes over 200 days a year and knows what to do
Old 06-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I would not bring your tackle unless you just have a small box with like few topwater or other baits

Guides have all the plastic and jig heads you need

Less stuff better off ... I would not bring more than 2 rods either

And as far as fish go the guide is going to take you where he knows fish are rather pickles or not .. Big trout fishing is not going to produce you numbers and as a guide we get paid for catching fish period
Yes there are days you get into a pile of nice trout all 3lbs and few hogs but if it's a weekend that will likely not happen.

Always remember he fishes over 200 days a year and knows what to do
Good to know. I doubt I will know any of the guys I will fish with (new to the company) so i'll prolly just keep quite and roll with it.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Tripletail

I would mainly like to learn as much as possible, but like I said, I prolly won't know the cats im fishing with so they might want to be back at the dock as early as possible. Either way I'm excited and know I'll take something from it even if we dont smash em.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I'm sure the new guys your working with wouldn't mind you bringing coffee for everyone. Nice way to introduce yourself.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
I'm sure the new guys your working with wouldn't mind you bringing coffee for everyone. Nice way to introduce yourself.
Im bringing the booger sugar, They gunna love me! Jk Coffee is a great idea actually.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Im bringing the booger sugar, They gunna love me! Jk Coffee is a great idea actually.
Keep your powder dry....and I ain't talking about the makeup!

Haha! Had an old man tell us this one morning while getting bait in Cocodrie.
had my Dad and I rolling as were pulling out!
Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

You say your gonna drink heavily the night before. I Caution you that since you are new to the company to not drink too much as to make an a$$ out of yourself -- you only have one chance to make a first impression! Maybe the others you are with are moderate drinkers or perhaps not at all. I'd follow the lead from them on how much to drink. Also, remember that the hot sun will play hell on a hangover and make for a very miserable day of fishing.

As far as the guide I always make an extra sandwich for him. Bring water or sports drinks for boat. Sunscreen, too. Good sunglasses and a hat.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

Bring a combo slap fulla braid. Im not talking about a lil top shot or mono backing I'm talking slap full. Oh and a yeti loaded down with beer; only way to cure a hangover is to get drunk again.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
Bring a combo slap fulla braid. Im not talking about a lil top shot or mono backing I'm talking slap full. Oh and a yeti loaded down with beer; only way to cure a hangover is to get drunk again.

And a VHF
Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917
Brew

Quote:
Oh and a yeti loaded down with beer; only way to cure a hangover is to get drunk again.
This is all you need to know...Or you can get all your co-workers hammered and enjoy the fishing trip to yourself haha
Old 06-25-2014, 06:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Perfect! Angler of the year award.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Tripletail

Hella braid, beer, sammiches, and try not to make an a$$ of myself. Got it. lol
Old 06-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Winning!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

wish our company would give us a guided trip on the lake.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 689

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
You say your gonna drink heavily the night before. I Caution you that since you are new to the company to not drink too much as to make an a$$ out of yourself -- you only have one chance to make a first impression! Maybe the others you are with are moderate drinkers or perhaps not at all. I'd follow the lead from them on how much to drink. Also, remember that the hot sun will play hell on a hangover and make for a very miserable day of fishing.

As far as the guide I always make an extra sandwich for him. Bring water or sports drinks for boat. Sunscreen, too. Good sunglasses and a hat.
i assume you're from Louisiana? I imagine he can pull off getting drunk and still maintain himself. Not to mention, he's an adult, he can make decisions accordingly. IMO anyway.

-looking like rain this weekend, fml