SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Quitters and Losers Forum

Quitters and Losers Forum Come here to discuss self-improvement challenges, such as losing weight or quitting tobacco, alcohol, drugs, etc. NO BASHING and NO OFF-TOPIC POSTING in this forum! Lead, follow, or get outta the way!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Diagnosed Prediabetic

In light of a recent medical diagnosis, I would ask for your prayers if you are so inclined. Advice and encouragement are also invited.

1. That I can exercise sufficient self-control to meet BMI, blood sugar, and A1C goals and the wisdom to set those goals to prevent the onset of full diabetes.

2. That the Lord would grant me a long life and sufficient health to finish raising my children, be a blessing to my wife, be a blessing to my grandchildren, and to continue productive work in the Lord on earth until at least 80 years of age. God may say “no,” but it should not be because I did not ask.

3. That I would have wisdom, grace, and love for meeting this and other “oppression and sorrow” before I “fly away,” because death is the destiny of every man, and that I would have great faith in God’s personal promise to call my name and raise my body from the grave.

Fuller description in linked article:

https://biblicaltheologyofscience.wo...-and-diabetes/
Old 09-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

Stay on track with your eating habits, stay away from most white foods, and learn you sugar patterns. My wife has been dealing with the same thing for a while, you will be fine.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:17 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Down View Post
Stay on track with your eating habits, stay away from most white foods, and learn you sugar patterns. My wife has been dealing with the same thing for a while, you will be fine.
Does that include the "white lightning"?

Thanks for your encouragements. I'm cutting back on carbs and white foods, but still sneaking a bit of rice (just a little) into gumbo. Gotta have rice in gumbo.

Thanks for all your prayers.

I am happy to report that your prayers are already being answered. This morning, my blood glucose level was 91 mg/DL, which is below the prediabetes threshold (100 mg/DL) for the FIRST time since my diagnosis. I still have a long way to go and lots of self-control to apply to nutrition and exercise, but this is an important first sign of progress!

Praise and be to God in Jesus Christ!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 858

Swap you white rice to brow (I know, it isn't the same) along with whole grain pasta. Just look at the carbs and be aware what you buy. As far as the white lightning, a low carb corn base with some fat free yeast may work out....lol. On a serious note, some alcohol drinks can jack it up some.....my wife doesn't drink so I can't comment. You will be fine, plus if you stick to the diet you will shed some weight.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:24 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke Down View Post
Swap you white rice to brow (I know, it isn't the same) along with whole grain pasta. Just look at the carbs and be aware what you buy. As far as the white lightning, a low carb corn base with some fat free yeast may work out....lol. On a serious note, some alcohol drinks can jack it up some.....my wife doesn't drink so I can't comment. You will be fine, plus if you stick to the diet you will shed some weight.
I wish I could experiment more with healthier foods, but with the menu and budget issues feeding a family of 5 (three teens), I am limited by established patterns, what the rest of the family likes, and what the cooks are willing to prepare. For now, I need to figure it out with smaller portions of the high carb items that are already in the regular menu rotation. I think over time my wife will make some healthier adjustments, but it will get a lot easier to adjust the menu in a healthier direction after the teens go to college.

Alcohol is a complex issue as related to diabetes. Lots of calories, varying levels of carbs depending on the drink. My preferred choices tend to bring lots of carbs with the calories. But since it is an area where I can most easily cut carbs and calories without impacting my nutrition or the family menu (and positively impacting the budget), this was one area where it was easiest to cut calories, carbs, and costs.

It's kinda funny. The prescribed medicine (metformin) only costs $4 a month. Gonna likely be a lot more expensive to eat healthier and exercise more. But if I can drop 30 lbs and delay the onset of full diabetes a decade or more, the improvements in my quality of life and long term health should be much more than worthwhile.

Bacon. I still have bacon.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

I started the Atkins diet because of the same diagnosis. Dropped 20 lbs real fast. numbers were great . BUT i had zero energy and felt like crap. Started reading upon the diet and they have you walking on a razors edge . one side is no weight loss the other is ketosis.
during the flood clean up i ate normal as i need the energy. Now i am going back to watching portion size control and watching fat and calorie intake A LOT slower weight loss but much healthier.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:01 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I started the Atkins diet because of the same diagnosis. Dropped 20 lbs real fast. numbers were great . BUT i had zero energy and felt like crap. Started reading upon the diet and they have you walking on a razors edge . one side is no weight loss the other is ketosis.
during the flood clean up i ate normal as i need the energy. Now i am going back to watching portion size control and watching fat and calorie intake A LOT slower weight loss but much healthier.
I agree. There is no sound weight loss without portion control and calorie reduction. My nutrition plan also reduces carbs, but this is more about controlling blood sugar and is a bit short of Atkins or keto diets (but a step in that direction).

I think people tend to have different body chemistry. I suspect many can do Atkins and keto diets without the drop in energy. Great, if it works for them. But sustainability is more important to me. I may not have always kept all the weight off (gained 30 lbs since 2012), but I have always kept the BMI under 30, and delayed my diagnosis of prediabetic 12 years after that of my identical twin.

The average weight, BMI, blood sugar, and A1C over time are really the triggers and signs of diabetes. The best suggestion I've gotten was from my twin to monitor blood sugar daily to know where I am. There is a temptation to try to overcorrect - too much reduction in calories and too much exercise to be sustainable over time. But seeing slow and steady progress on blood glucose and weight helps me stay on a more moderate approach - also helped me resist a midnight snack last night when the stomach started growling.

I keep a spreadsheet with daily blood glucose and weight, but rather than focus on each day's measurement, I have a column that computes the average of the last 7 days. The average over 7 days is more meaningful, as it smooths out fluctuations and the day to day variations and allows one to see long term trends.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

You can maintain caloric intake and lose weight, and the way to do it is by reducing carbohydrates and relaxing with fats which is actually a great way to get blood sugar in check.

Ketogenic or semi kerogen if type diet is a great way to get lean and keep insulin levels right.

Check out the Tim Feeris podcast with Dr Dom or whatever his name is...
Old 09-08-2016, 01:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
You can maintain caloric intake and lose weight, and the way to do it is by reducing carbohydrates and relaxing with fats which is actually a great way to get blood sugar in check.

Ketogenic or semi kerogen if type diet is a great way to get lean and keep insulin levels right.

Check out the Tim Feeris podcast with Dr Dom or whatever his name is...
Not a good plan if there is a known family predisposition to ketoacidosis.

Not everyone is the same. What works for some may not work for others.

The most reliable approach for a most people is reducing calorie intake cutting carbs, and increasing exercise. Going atkins or keto without working closely with a physician or nutritionist is likely a bad plan.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

i'm goin though the same thing, been dieting for about a yearnow and i've lost 66lbs.

i use an app on my phone called myfitnesspal... you can set the carbs, fats, and proteins.... i meet with a dietitian to help me set those percentages...

the main thing to remember is DON'T LIE ON THE APP!!! you're only hurting yourself. the app also has a step count that you can use to record exercise....

i still have days that i go off track, but i hit it again the next day...

and YES i still drink beer, i switched to bud select 55.... 55-calories and 1.7 carbs per bottle... or Capt. Morgan W/ coke zero.... i just don't do it every day....

good luck and pm me if i can help...