SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFishKiller View Post
For somebody with a handle like MathGeek, you don't sound too smart.
Oh he smart!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
The thing is, the CCA is not a Fisherman's organization. It is a conservation organization composed of fisherman. A conservation organization who is supposed to be concerned about a particular resource, in this case, our coast and our fisheries. Their actions state otherwise.

Shouldn't a major concern of a fisheries organization, or any conservation organization, be the habitat of its representative species? DUs is, The N W T F's is. CCAs is not, or else they would be more concerned with the marshes that also constitute the estuary.

The fact is, CCA is a conservation organization that does not concern itself with two foci central to any legitimate conservation organization: scientifically-driven management decisions and habitat.
Yep (emphasis has been added.)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Let's not get on to this topic again. It has been knocked around enough. Plenty of information already floats around this forum on this topic. No use having another thread degrade into that.

All I will say is that there has been a lot of research on that Marsh, and there are certain people that know what needs to be done. Are those people the ones making the call? Not necessarily.

But again, CCA has nothing to do with that. It is an issue that fishermen have, and CCA does not get into it. Why? I don't know. You would think if fisherman have legitimate concerns about the operation of the weirs, an organization that is composed of fishermen would do something.

The thing is, the CCA is not a Fisherman's organization. It is a conservation organization composed of fisherman. A conservation organization who is supposed to be concerned about a particular resource, in this case, our coast and our fisheries. Their actions state otherwise.

Shouldn't a major concern of a fisheries organization, or any conservation organization, be the habitat of its representative species? DUs is, The N W T F's is. CCAs is not, or else they would be more concerned with the marshes that also constitute the estuary.

The fact is, CCA is a conservation organization that does not concern itself with two foci central to any legitimate conservation organization: scientifically-driven management decisions and habitat.
This should be of the utmost importance to CCA. When Man(especially a conservationists) messes with nature it his duty to make sure that it is managed or restored back to its original functioning state or better. The weir system is a perfect example. It is a biological balance of making sure coastal erosion is controlled as well as providing a safe habitat for so many coastal species, like a coastal marsh originally was intended.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Following the State of the Lake meeting in July, some colleagues and I contacted Leigh Anne Sharp (who gave one of the weir talks) and requested the detailed CPRA weir opening data. The good people at CPRA took some time to compile the data for us in a spreadsheet format and review its accuracy, but by September, we had complete opening and closing data of every weir gate going back to 2012.

This data not only allowed us to correlate weir openings over that time period with our independent assessments of fish condition, it also allowed us to compare weir openings with salinity measurements and other scientific factors and hard data that purportedly go into the decision whether or not to open the weirs.

Assessment of the data makes it very clear that since CPRA took over weir operation in 2012, the weirs have been operated in accordance with the management plan and the best available scientific data.

There is a lot of anecdotal and circumstantial evidence to suggest that weir openings were not based on scientific data or established management principles prior to 2012, but we've had a good look at the hard data that shows that the weirs are being managed responsibly now and have been since 2012.

Progress in the area of weir openings now depends on lowering the salinity in the main lake to allow greater openings without allowing more salt back into the marsh. "W" is on top of this and efforts here should be much more productive that criticizing weir operation or sending $$$ to CCA:

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion: Calcasieu Salinity Control Fisheries Focus Group - SaltyCajun.com
Glad that this issue is supposedly being addressed.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
I am very good at math. Participating in the STAR is like buying a lottery ticket. Sure, you can't win if you don't play, but the only reason it raises a lot of money (that CCA spends in Texas) is because the costs of participation far exceed the value of the prizes.

Lotteries are nothing more than additional taxes for those who are bad at math.

The Boycott the S.T.A.R. movement had wide participation last year and was likely a contributing factor to CCA organizing the "State of the Lake" meeting last summer. It is also most likely the best chance we have to prevent CCA from getting behind new proposals for more restrictive regulations and to get them actually focusing conservation efforts on things that really matter in Louisiana.

I bet CCA would love comments to be restricted to private CCA meetings, but the fact is they pay a lot more attention when issues are aired openly at popular sites like SaltyCajun and Louisiana Sportsman, because open discussions hit them in the pocketbook.
I would like to know the actual odds of catching a tagged redfish. It has to be higher or about the same as buying $25 powerball tickets. How many tagged redfish are caught each year? 2 or 3 divided by the number of redfish caught in the state.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
This should be of the utmost importance to CCA. When Man(especially a conservationists) messes with nature it his duty to make sure that it is managed or restored back to its original functioning state or better. The weir system is a perfect example. It is a biological balance of making sure coastal erosion is controlled as well as providing a safe habitat for so many coastal species, like a coastal marsh originally was intended.
Precisely my point. When you lose track of that, you are no longer a conservationist.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
I would like to know the actual odds of catching a tagged redfish. It has to be higher or about the same as buying $25 powerball tickets. How many tagged redfish are caught each year? 2 or 3 divided by the number of redfish caught in the state.
You can break that down even farther. How many total redfish, how many anglers and how many casts per angler lol. It's astronomical at best.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

You know at least one CCA pumper has called Baton Rouge and said

Have you seen how they are making fun of our Frat Organization ?

I hope they read it all and let it soak in to the bone, stop hand jerking the rich off and do your damn JOB !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.3 KB, 210 views)
Old 03-19-2015, 03:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFishKiller View Post
For somebody with a handle like MathGeek, you don't sound too smart. When I said get in the game I was referring to go to the meeting and echo the posts about what needs to be done on BL. Boycott the STAR lol, good luck with that. You'd have to be an idiot to fish any waters the STAR is on and not be in tournament just for the simple fact that you might catch a tagged redfish and win a truck. If I only fished BL once a year I'd still be in the STAR, which in turn makes you a member of CCA. So, go ahead MathGeek and boycott away. I'd love to be there when you catch a tagged redfish so I could look over and say, "Hey man, you showed those fools at CCA, now throw that free truck back in the water." We'd get back to the launch and I'd tell the story, and people would say, "Damn, what an idiot, who saltwater fishes and doesn't enter the STAR? Then, I'd point to you as you walked away with your head held high and say, that man right there, a man of principal and conviction." Nobody gives a ***** about CCA or what they are doing. Truth is CCA came up with a genius plan to make tons of money for cheap. Nobody's gonna pass up a chance to win a truck doing something they already do and are gonna do even if there wasn't a tournament.
In spite of your intent, this post did nothing to demonstrate how "smart" you are, instead it demonstrated that you will sell your integrity at the price of a very minute chance at winning a truck. I primarily fish for redfish, I catch a lot of them, I've probably got a better chance at catching a tagged redfish than most folks, simply because redfish are my focus, but I won't enter the STAR because I have issues with CCA similar to those expressed here by others, and I won't sell my integrity. If I catch a tagged redfish, I'll thank God for it as I say grace over its blackened fillets. I won't post about it here or on social media because I'm not going to help draw attention to or drive funding for the CCA or the STAR tournament.

The only way CCA is going to focus on actual conservation issues that effect us here in Louisiana is when it is costing them too much not to. You would be surprised at the number of people who are no longer supporting CCA in any way, including "passing up the chance to win a truck doing something they already do" .

In my humble opinion, the CCA lost focus when the grew to a size that required more of their time and efforts be spent on raising money and growing/maintaining membership than on actual conservation work.

Last edited by redchaserron; 03-19-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:53 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
In spite of your intent, this post did nothing to demonstrate how "smart" you are, instead it demonstrated that you will sell your integrity at the price of a very minute chance at winning a truck. I primarily fish for redfish, I catch a lot of them, I've probably got a better chance at catching a tagged redfish than most folks, simply because redfish are my focus, but I won't enter the STAR because I have issues with CCA similar to those expressed here by others, and I won't sell my integrity. If I catch a tagged redfish, I'll thank God for it as I say grace over its blackened fillets. I won't post about it here or on social media because I'm not going to help draw attention to or drive funding for the CCA or the STAR tournament.

The only way CCA is going to focus on actual conservation issues that effect us here in Louisiana is when it is costing them too much not to. You would be surprised at the number of people who are no longer supporting CCA in any way, including "passing up the chance to win a truck doing something they already do" .

In my humble opinion, the CCA lost focus when the grew to a size that required more of their time and efforts be spent on raising money and growing/maintaining membership than on actual conservation work.
Emphasis added. I agree completely.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
Ive never seen Bull Sh it spelled like that!

Me either, I've always seen it spelled Balogna
Old 03-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshrunner757 View Post
You can break that down even farther. How many total redfish, how many anglers and how many casts per angler lol. It's astronomical at best.
My boat caught right at 6000 fish total out if big lake last year and not one were a STAR winner or Tagged Redfish
Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Me either, I've always seen it spelled Balogna
Theres a reason hes called "math"geek
Old 03-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
BTW if I catch a Tagged Redfish Im going to eat that's sucker and enjoy the hell out of it !!

I work and can afford my own truck and boat !

^^^^^^^
Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Tar-And-Feather CCA

Ok, while I agree with most of the issues with CCA; I think the whole Tar-And-Feather bandwagon is a little overboard. People love to be apart of something, even if it's just *****ing about something.

Straight up question, what other organizations do we have to address the issues?
Old 03-19-2015, 07:04 PM
King Mackeral

Full Definition of BALONEY

: pretentious nonsense : bunkum —often used as a generalized expression of disagreement
Old 03-19-2015, 07:13 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Ok, while I agree with most of the issues with CCA; I think the whole Tar-And-Feather bandwagon is a little overboard. People love to be apart of something, even if it's just *****ing about something.

Straight up question, what other organizations do we have to address the issues?
Why do a group of people working together for a common cause have to file paperwork with the IRS to be legitimate in your eyes?

Charter boat captains, interested anglers, and other Salty Cajuns (and a few Cajunettes) have been working these issues consistently for several years.

You need not be an official non-profit to write your legislator, petition the LWC, appear before the LWC to make comments, exert various kinds of pressure on local groups, or boycott the S.T.A.R.

I no longer recommend Zebco reels, because their quality sucks, the buyer is getting no return for his $$$, and he is likely to be disappointed with the outcome of the money spent.

I recommend against CCA and S.T.A.R. for the same reasons.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
I recommend against CCA and S.T.A.R. for the same reasons.
I remember all the grad promises made by CCA and its cheerleaders touting, "just wait and see, CCA is doing all sorts of things behind the scenes but we cant talk about it just yet"

well where is this magic they promised they were doing "behind the scenes"? maybe we need to wait 30-40 years before they can talk about it lol.

why aren't they working to double red limits and reduce minimum size limits on them to 14"?

why aren't they fighting to increase speck limits state wide back up to 25 fish per day everywhere?

why aren't they working to remove black limits altogether and reduce minimum size limits on them to 14"?

all 3 of these have science saying it will not hurt the population but actually help the populations and the fishery to do them.

why aren't they suing to get canals reopened and stop the wholesale barricading and closing off of our traditional public access marsh waterways. where are they on the wholesale theft for private use of our fisheries populations that are captured and stolen by a few as the fish are allowed to be barricaded off from the public?

why aren't they doing any of these things? because they are just a shell game to take our money and get rich off it as they work exclusively for the best interest of texas waters and against anything that gives Louisiana more then texas has which is the whole purpose and only reason for reduced trout limits and triple tail limits near texas, it is to take away any incentive to texas fishermen to come spend their money in our state.

we in Louisiana are the port-a-potty, and CCA is sitting on the seat above us laughing all the way to the bank as they dump all over us and watch silly cheerleaders and excuse makers defend their undefendable actions and complete lack of actions.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:21 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I remember all the grad promises made by CCA and its cheerleaders touting, "just wait and see, CCA is doing all sorts of things behind the scenes but we cant talk about it just yet"

well where is this magic they promised they were doing "behind the scenes"? maybe we need to wait 30-40 years before they can talk about it lol.

why aren't they working to double red limits and reduce minimum size limits on them to 14"?

why aren't they fighting to increase speck limits state wide back up to 25 fish per day everywhere?

why aren't they working to remove black limits altogether and reduce minimum size limits on them to 14"?

all 3 of these have science saying it will not hurt the population but actually help the populations and the fishery to do them.
Great questions. I think CCA showed a decade ago that they are not really about habitat protection or conservation or sound science.

They are about bringing money back to TX for restoration projects there and also about exporting restrictive TX-style regulations to LA.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:32 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post

why aren't they suing to get canals reopened and stop the wholesale barricading and closing off of our traditional public access marsh waterways. where are they on the wholesale theft for private use of our fisheries populations that are captured and stolen by a few as the fish are allowed to be barricaded off from the public?.
Amen brother! Been saying this for years that if I can get my boat in there I should be able to fish and hunt. You can't own tidal water! I should be able to fish and duck hunt anywhere I get my boat. Them greedy landowners don't own those fish or ducks and they got thousands of coots in their place thy don't even shoot. Let me in!