SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217
Default Burglar shot outside the home dies

A Calcasieu Parish grand jury decided not to indict a homeowner who shot and killed 18-year-old Divonte LeDay. It was December, 2009, when LeDay was found dead from an apparent gunshot wound in a yard off Oleo Street.
Lake Charles Police believe the victim sustained those wounds nearly 12 hours earlier while he and two others tried to steal a four wheeler a block away on Mill Street.
"LeDay was involved in a burglary, an attempted theft. The homeowner took action shot two rounds and they fled," said Sgt. Mark Kraus.
Both the Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office and Lake Charles Police got calls about gunshots in the area. The homeowner on Mill Street filed a report about the attempted burglary with the Sheriff's Office, telling them he fired two shots in the air.
The initial report from the Calcasieu Coroner's Office confirms LeDay died from injuries consistent from a shotgun.
"We now know LeDay was struck by the shotgun blast and died a short time later about 200 feet from where that attempted burglary took place," explained Kraus.
Kraus says LeDay was no stranger to local law enforcement: His first run was at 16 years old - police say he was the teen who brought the gun and fired shots at the "Just For Jesus" rally at the Lake Charles Civic Center back in May 2007.
Kraus says this latest case should send a strong message to the chance would be burglars take. "We in America and specifically Lake Charles, Louisiana have the right to protect our homes, property and family. And in using a shotgun or weapon to do so is authorized in many cases by law," said Kraus.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Great White

I'm glad the homeowner was not charged. Maybe this will let others know not to mess with him or his stuff.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Can't believe Al & Jessie didn't show up for that one. Good to see it turned out ok for the property owner.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

looks like calcasieu is handling things the right way over there lately. ever since that sheriff was executed a few years back especially.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

While I was out shopping a few days ago, a big man [~ 6'-4 and 300#] was in the checkout line with one person inbetween us.

It was not until he started walking away, that I noticed he was "open carring" a big sidearm. Who would mess with a guy like that???????????
Old 02-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
While I was out shopping a few days ago, a big man [~ 6'-4 and 300#] was in the checkout line with one person inbetween us.

It was not until he started walking away, that I noticed he was "open carring" a big sidearm. Who would mess with a guy like that???????????
Maybe somebody bigger than him!

You just never know......With me traveling on interstate as much as I do at night or early am & stopping to get fuel, I've had these freaking crackheads walk up to my truck before I ever get out. The don't have a clue as to who I am or how big or what I got the hammer back on with the safety off. They don't care.

Last edited by wtretrievers; 02-19-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:08 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

good for the sheriff office that should send a message to people that want to steal
Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

very good for the homeowner, was afraid this would go the other way
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Can't believe Al & Jessie didn't show up for that one. Good to see it turned out ok for the property owner.

They both may have been afraid of contracting lead poison.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,544

Guys I had a burgulary in my neighborhood yesterday...this is the message that needs to be sent to these creeps...even though I'm sure they are not watching news or reading papers...
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
Guys I had a burgulary in my neighborhood yesterday...this is the message that needs to be sent to these creeps...even though I'm sure they are not watching news or reading papers...
no they are too busy plotting the next house instead of working like the rest of us.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
no they are too busy plotting the next house instead of working like the rest of us.
Sad but true!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post

do you have alarm system, keep a cell phone on your nightstand, motion sensor floodlights, dog that barks, good buckshot for your 12 ga?

sit down with the family and discuss awareness of surroundings. (this is NOT being paranoid)

in this economy this is going to get worse not better.

Keep in mind most burglars are going to use a "smash and grab" type operation. they are going to dresser drawers, nightstands, closets first. This is why I hide my valuable (to me) stuff in other areas. I've hidden nice pistols in a cereal box in the pantry.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
do you have alarm system, keep a cell phone on your nightstand, motion sensor floodlights, dog that barks, good buckshot for your 12 ga?

sit down with the family and discuss awareness of surroundings. (this is NOT being paranoid)

in this economy this is going to get worse not better.

Keep in mind most burglars are going to use a "smash and grab" type operation. they are going to dresser drawers, nightstands, closets first. This is why I hide my valuable (to me) stuff in other areas. I've hidden nice pistols in a cereal box in the pantry.

I do have an alarm system...a loaded sig .40...loaded walther p22...Cell always on nightstand b/c of work. Motion lights in the back yard...a dachshund that would pee on you from excitement instead of bite you! But he will bark when the wife or me are with him.

Yes its gonna get worse...thats what I've been hearing from local prosecutors through a friend. The doors on the house are to be locked at all times and alarm will be set!!!!!

Anyone live in the maplewood area in Sulphur??????
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Inlaws live on Kellison Lane, hope they do not hear about this because I will not be able to get them out of my house.
Damn, just remembered that I did not lock my back french doors this morning.

"pistols in a cereal box in the pantry." Guess that would make them "Honey Bunches of Lead"
Old 02-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Little View Post
Guess that would make them "Honey Bunches of Lead"
or Lucky Arms
Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

yea yea laugh if u want but they safe from the cocoa puffs
Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
"pistols in a cereal box in the pantry." Guess that would make them "Honey Bunches of Lead"
Quote:
or Lucky Arms
Quote:
yea yea laugh if u want but they safe from the cocoa puffs
Old 02-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

A box of CoCoa pow.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Great White

There is a cheap motion detector system at Harbor Freight in Lake Charles.
It has a motion detector outdoors and an alarm inside. Battery operated, wireless.
I think it is around $30. I have them so we know when anyone comes close to any
of our doors or under the car port. We get a beep beep.
We also have a complete home alarm system, but it didn't cover the outside motion.
My wife is a lot more comfortable knowing she will hear the alarm before someone can come into the house. She can be ready for them.