SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,174
Default Oyster season closed

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article131899184.html
Old 02-15-2017, 07:29 AM
Redfish

Cash: 709

Yea !!!! you don't think they could have noticed that before it opened this year !!!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Hopefully it's gonna stay closed for a couple of years
Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I spent two hours on the phone with BART R. YAKUPZACK and number of emails .

I never want someone to lose a job but I blame WLF for allowing this to go on for this long. They should of made the move back to tong only 3 years ago and everyone would have a job but now it could be over for many years !

I'm sure they are going to push hard for Sabine to open up next season !
Old 02-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Not often you see recreational win over commercial. Tongs and hopping out onto the reefs, in super low tides, is OK I guess, if regulated. Of course it's not as productive as dragging. There are still many ways for a daily "Recreational harvest" to end up being "sold". It doesn't take a genius to see this happening, if you hang around certain Landings for awhile.

Trust me, there are a lot of money sucking Lawyers tied in with the Oyster Fisherman also. They love to claim bla bla, for a damage settlement, with the Oil Companies, if they set up a rig or platform anywhere near some Oyster Grounds/Allotments. Rumor had it that a lot of Oyster Harvesters, made more on settlements, than Oysters.

Last edited by Jrchip1; 02-15-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrchip1 View Post
Not often you see recreational win over commercial. Tongs and hopping out onto the reefs, in super low tides, is OK I guess, if regulated. Of course it's not as productive as dragging. There are still many ways for a daily "Recreational harvest" to end up being "sold". It doesn't take a genius to see this happening, if you hang around certain Landings for awhile.

Trust me, there are a lot of money sucking Lawyers tied in with the Oyster Fisherman also. They love to claim bla bla, for a damage settlement, with the Oil Companies, if they set up a rig or platform anywhere near some Oyster Grounds/Allotments. Rumor had it that a lot of Oyster Harvesters, made more on settlements, than Oysters.
They certainly did in the initial caernarvon water diversion settlement.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaserron View Post
They certainly did in the initial caernarvon water diversion settlement.
You got that right. I know an attorney from Plaquemines Parish that was able to get a settlement on property that had not had oysters harvested on it in over 25yrs....and a handsome settlement it was. Complete BS and he was proud of how he worked the system....
Old 02-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

Yep, lots of scams. Farm them vertically. That is being done on Grand Isle now. They are all over in my canal and on my boat dock ladder. Thinking a vertical 'PVC fence' on my bulkhead would capture way more than I can eat each season just behind my camp.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter77346 View Post
Yep, lots of scams. Farm them vertically. That is being done on Grand Isle now. They are all over in my canal and on my boat dock ladder. Thinking a vertical 'PVC fence' on my bulkhead would capture way more than I can eat each season just behind my camp.
I heard a great interview with the people farming them at Grand Isle and some of their restaurant customers. It's a bit more involved than that, but the restaurant folks in the interview said the product was excellent.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 709

Well thanks to W and people like that got on LWF a$$ to have something done. I know a few of the oyster fisherman and all of them are hard working good people making a living. But the reefs are not big enough to get hit that hard every year. In Texas and every where else they have to seed other site and make new reefs for later use, here it was all take and no give !!!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Now they ar shutting down crabbing for a month starting next week
Old 02-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829

If the crabbing shutdown for a month is true for Calcasieu lake it is a shame we can't have a crab pot cleanup. The only way to truly shutdown crabbing for a month is to have all of the crab pots removed from the lake. Then any remaining traps are declared abandoned and subject to removal by anyone without being subject to prosecution for touching them.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

Sabine will never be opened again for oystering. Most of the large reefs are on the Texas side and the ones on the Louisiana side see to much fresh water. I talked to a state biologist at the boat ramp a few months ago. They said bacteria levels have not been low enough for harvest in years.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by swglenn View Post
If the crabbing shutdown for a month is true for Calcasieu lake it is a shame we can't have a crab pot cleanup. The only way to truly shutdown crabbing for a month is to have all of the crab pots removed from the lake. Then any remaining traps are declared abandoned and subject to removal by anyone without being subject to prosecution for touching them.
That's exactly what's going to happen brotato chip
Old 02-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by swglenn View Post
i read somewhere that they are doing exactly that. Any traps in the lake will considered abandoned or illegal and will be removed.