SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275
Default If it wasn't for bad luck........

So i went down to a private launch on lake vernon today, and put the boat in the water while i worked on getting the trailer lights right (had grounding issue and its so much easier to work on the trailer when the boat is not on it!)

So finished up with the work on the trailer, and it was perhaps 15 - 20 minutes before sunset, lake was dead calm. Asked wife if she would like to take a boat ride and enjoy the nice weather (figured, might as well boat's already in the water)

We went out and cruised around a bit and had a good time.

coming back in about 100 yds from the launch i'm putting along (not on plane) not even really causing much of a wake... perhaps 5-10 mph. Wham... motor hit something (stump i guess) underwater and motor lifts up... dont think much of it... have hit plenty of stump before and never had an issue.

Load the boat on trailer, drive home and i spin the prop by hand like i usually do after i hit something just to see if there are any dent's / dings on it...

and the prop shaft appears to be bent.

It's very very minor... you have to look close to even see it. I would guess it's bent perhaps 1 to 1/2 millimeters.... something between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch.

Of course i just finished, changing the impeller and gear oil on the motor, as well as pulling all the carbs and cleaning them.......

any of you ever had a very slightly bent prop shaft. Is this something that is repairable?

I will probably need to take it to the prop shop i have worked with before on toledo bend.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

What brand motor?
Usually they can be straitened at a machine shop, don't keep running it like it is, if it is out of spec even just a little.
You will eventually ruin the seals causing even more damage when the water intrudes.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

it's a yamaha 50tlr