SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Im sure you missed this in duck grass school but I bet you can understand what happens when you alter the echo system by killing off millions on millions of shrimp
HELLO...........Hello.........Hello........Hello........Hello........hello
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

I hunted within site of weirs this weekend. there is a ton of shrimp back there. canals and ponds are full of shrimp jumping behind boat. they are thriving back there
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Nick was saying the marsh doesn't freeze. I just simply wanted to prove him wrong. Why would he get involved in a thread on our (those who do fish Calcasieu lake) weirs when he is completely wrong on the marsh "freezing". He ( Nick ) didn't point out like others the September issue. He stated as a whole the marsh won't freeze.

Carry on Butter

No need to state the September issue, it was obvious the time frame we were speaking on.
We are talking about the impact of a marsh freezing and devastating shrimp population/migrations(Fall/Mid Sept-Mid Dec).

Yes, the marsh can freeze, but the likelihood of it freezing is very minimal.....and then freeze early enough to impact the shrimp migration or population is minimal to zero. I have to believe that your very rare one time picture of a frozen N wind blown marsh was taken long after the shrimp migration.

Secondly, at what point can I start to call the lake mine too? Must I own a certain boat? Maybe a Haynie, a Kenner, or a 20' Tunnel Hull with a tiller? A certain motor? Maybe throw a Tohatsu or Nissan on my tunnel hull? Just trying to do it right man, let me know!

Go fish Matagorda if you like Texas so much, must have been a rough weekend for you....sorry, not sorry.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
I hunted within site of weirs this weekend. there is a ton of shrimp back there. canals and ponds are full of shrimp jumping behind boat. they are thriving back there
No doubt...I have a vid of reds stacked up by hundreds behind Grand Sat

Maybe on my 5th attempt to load on u tube it might take so i can post it

But with out rain and open gates for them to migrate out, 1st freeze they gone
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
No doubt...I have a vid of reds stacked up by hundreds behind Grand Sat

But with out rain and open gates for them to migrate out, 1st freeze they gone
I agree with this, but will say that the gates should be open by the time temperature is a relevant hazard.

I will also say that after living on the other side of the state for years the impact saltwater has on a marsh without a barrier system (whether it be weirs, levees, or islands) is truly devastating. My family has been on a 10 square mile lease for the last 50 years and the marsh is 75% gone. I used to hunt pot holes that are now lakes. Every year we rebuild blinds because the land the blinds used to sit on has receded 20 yds.They have recently built the giant wall, and opened the Caernarvon Canal to pump fresh water and silt in from the Mississippi but it is way too little too late. The Gulf is knocking on the back door of land that used to be very high and dry. To see La wetlands dissappear like that is disheartening.

I understand the struggle of crabbers and shrimpers, I was one for 3 years and grew up in the seafood sales industry. There are other places to catch shrimp and other areas that marine life lives then behind the weirs though.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
I agree with this, but will say that the gates should be open by the time temperature is a relevant hazard.

I will also say that after living on the other side of the state for years the impact saltwater has on a marsh without a barrier system (whether it be weirs, levees, or islands) is truly devastating. My family has been on a 10 square mile lease for the last 50 years and the marsh is 75% gone. I used to hunt pot holes that are now lakes. Every year we rebuild blinds because the land the blinds used to sit on has receded 20 yds.They have recently built the giant wall, and opened the Caernarvon Canal to pump fresh water and silt in from the Mississippi but it is way too little too late. The Gulf is knocking on the back door of land that used to be very high and dry. To see La wetlands dissappear like that is disheartening.

I understand the struggle of crabbers and shrimpers, I was one for 3 years and grew up in the seafood sales industry. There are other places to catch shrimp and other areas that marine life lives then behind the weirs though.

You are talking about two different monsters .....9o% of the east erosion is from changing water ways to build cites underwater level

Here on west side do not have a marsh erosion problem and our marshes were top shelf before Rita and Ike

Our east side Marshes are not in any kind of close gate choke off lake problem

This coming from guys who hunt, fish and live off that marsh along with a biologist
Old 09-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Are you really admitting your not that smart? What I'm thinking i read your post. Enough said.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickfish View Post
Are you really admitting your not that smart? What I'm thinking i read your post. Enough said.
Smart is knowing this is your #87 post and 86 have been about me

Lmao

Pretty much own you !! I guess I can now add you to Club "W"

Salty
Rene (ASR)
And now SlickFish

Welcome to the club!! You have now comment and quoted 99.999 % of your comments towards me

Send me your shirt size and I will have your club "W" start up kit in mail ASAP
Old 09-16-2013, 08:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

In 2003 and 2011 our entire marsh froze for more than one day ,so yes a freeze has occurred twice in the past ten years in our area. Both years had temps in the 20's .

Widgeon grass can survive in salinity as high as 30 ppt ,while currently Big Lake is running around 21 ppt.

I have fished Big Lake for at least 12 yrs now and this has been the worst year I can recall as far as catches ,for whatever the reason .

I truly believe man should not fool with what nature created. I grew up fishing Black Bayou in the Vinton area . Bass fishing was spectacular until man decided to block off cuts into the area . Along came hurricane rita and filled the marshes with saltwater ,which had no escape due to the blockages man created . Now most of the areas where bass once were are inhabited by redfish .

Im no marine biologist .These are just things I have seen with my own eyes that have occurred in the past twenty or so years in our area.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
In 2003 and 2011 our entire marsh froze for more than one day ,so yes a freeze has occurred twice in the past ten years in our area. Both years had temps in the 20's.

^^^^
Old 09-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
No Mr 6 trout catching guide You are going to have to actually fish this month and find the trout out of their 'normal' patterns

3-5 months is a long time away

How many times did you complain to your customers about the wiers?

customers:
'Mr., what about this '25 or bust'

W to his customers:
'bruh, if these wiers was open we would be catching limits in an hour'

customers:
'we don't care bout that, we just want to catch fish'

W:
'look bros, we only fish artificial on this boat cuz I can't throw a castnet and i refuse to buy live shrimp and I refuse to go to Sabine. All my logbooks say the fish should be here this time of year so we are going to fish here'

customers:
'can't we go catch redfish or something?'

W:
'naw brah, redfish are an inferior species of fish, only people who can't catch trout try to catch redfish'

customers:
'well sir, you are apparently one of those 'people who can't catch trout'

That is F'n funny I dont care who you are
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
In 2003 and 2011 our entire marsh froze for more than one day ,so yes a freeze has occurred twice in the past ten years in our area. Both years had temps in the 20's .

Widgeon grass can survive in salinity as high as 30 ppt ,while currently Big Lake is running around 21 ppt.

I have fished Big Lake for at least 12 yrs now and this has been the worst year I can recall as far as catches ,for whatever the reason .

I truly believe man should not fool with what nature created. I grew up fishing Black Bayou in the Vinton area . Bass fishing was spectacular until man decided to block off cuts into the area . Along came hurricane rita and filled the marshes with saltwater ,which had no escape due to the blockages man created . Now most of the areas where bass once were are inhabited by redfish .

Im no marine biologist .These are just things I have seen with my own eyes that have occurred in the past twenty or so years in our area.
It can survive for what extended period of time?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,530

[URL="
#93;
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post

Marsh dont freeze as per Duck Butt and Nick
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Redfish

Cash: -239

Quote:
Smart is knowing this is your #87 post and 86 have been about me

Lmao

Pretty much own you !! I guess I can now add you to Club "W"

Salty
Rene (ASR)
And now SlickFish

Welcome to the club!! You have now comment and quoted 99.999 % of your comments towards me

Send me your shirt size and I will have your club "W" start up kit in mail ASAP
Bothered much?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
That is F'n funny I dont care who you are

This is THE post of 2013. Maybe even the best one "cents" the beginning of this site. It's not only hilarious...........it's TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Do I get a SC cash bonus for that one? Lol
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Tripletail

Quote:

Not saying a freeze won't happen. I AM SAYING A FREEZE WILL NOT OCCUR DURING THE TIME THAT SHRIMP ARE STILL IN THE MARSHES. But hey if you think that out of 10 years, 4 days of frozen marsh and a very slight possibility that the weirs weren't open that fall is worth talking about out of the other 3,646 days of saltwater intrusion then so be it.

As far as those blockages you speak of, I agree they should be allowed to drain as well. Very likely that if those blockages weren't there you would have probably been catching reds much sooner than Rita. A couple tropical storms and high tides and that area would have been eaten up with the salt much sooner.

It's the big picture..... risk vs reward. I'm sure when the salinity levels are too high the biologist aren't giving 2 *****s that W can't go throw his cast net at the weirs or take his customers to go catch some reds! Thousands of acres of coastal protection is priority.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
^^^^
Jesus help us, his name is Kenner and you have a tohatsu in your avatar. :*****: Living by the code, respect is given when respect is due.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
You are talking about two different monsters .....9o% of the east erosion is from changing water ways to build cites underwater level

Here on west side do not have a marsh erosion problem and our marshes were top shelf before Rita and Ike

Our east side Marshes are not in any kind of close gate choke off lake problem

This coming from guys who hunt, fish and live off that marsh along with a biologist
Not 2 different monsters....one monster, saltwater. Without the MS River flooding it's banks and depositing it's alluvial soil(go google the word) and pushing the salt water out of the marshes the saltwater has a perfect avenue in. The marsh behind the weirs was not created to hold that amount of salt. Due to man made avenues the saltwater comes in more freely, and the weirs allow us to regulate it.

Some people are paid to think, and the rest...well the rest just wish they were.