SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
It can survive for what extended period of time?
There was no clear amount of time that it would survive in the info I researched . Here is the info I had found a few yrs ago .

Salinity:
Ruppia maritima has been found in water ranging from fresh to 32 ppt salinity, but is generally found in waters of 25.0 ppt or less (Phillips 1960).
In vitro rhizome growth and rooting of Ruppia maritima occurred at various salinities using artificial seawater. Rhizome production was most rapid at 0 & 5 ppt as opposed to 10, 15 and 20 ppt salinity. In vitro root production, although requiring an external carbon source, was greatest at 5 and 10 ppt salinity. This study also showed that ex vitro plantings were very successful suggesting that Ruppia maritima would be a good candidate for propagation through in vitro culture (Bird et al. 1993).
When Ruppia maritima from Redfish Bay, Texas, was transferred to outdoor ponds and controlled growth rooms where salinity was artificially increased, in the latter environment, growth continued until 70 ppt salinity in controlled growth rooms. In this same environment, R. maritima tolerated a salinity of 74 ppt, for a brief period.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:05 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Not saying a freeze won't happen. I AM SAYING A FREEZE WILL NOT OCCUR DURING THE TIME THAT SHRIMP ARE STILL IN THE MARSHES. But hey if you think that out of 10 years, 4 days of frozen marsh and a very slight possibility that the weirs weren't open that fall is worth talking about out of the other 3,646 days of saltwater intrusion then so be it.

As far as those blockages you speak of, I agree they should be allowed to drain as well. Very likely that if those blockages weren't there you would have probably been catching reds much sooner than Rita. A couple tropical storms and high tides and that area would have been eaten up with the salt much sooner.

It's the big picture..... risk vs reward. I'm sure when the salinity levels are too high the biologist aren't giving 2 *****s that W can't go throw his cast net at the weirs or take his customers to go catch some reds! Thousands of acres of coastal protection is priority.

Im simply stating facts about the freezes that occurred in those yrs . Both times it was in January ,so yes you are correct about it not happening until after November possibly .If it was to happen again. .

Im a firm believer that the good Lord knows whats best for his creation ,and Man should let things be sometimes instead of overthinking and overeacting . He created tides and natural drains for a reason.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
I hunted within site of weirs this weekend. there is a ton of shrimp back there. canals and ponds are full of shrimp jumping behind boat. they are thriving back there
Appreciate the invite. Glad I didn't go though cuz I heard ya'll all got out shot by the little man.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
Im simply stating facts about the freezes that occurred in those yrs . Both times it was in January ,so yes you are correct about it not happening until after November possibly .If it was to happen again. .

Im a firm believer that the good Lord knows whats best for his creation ,and Man should let things be sometimes instead of overthinking and overeacting . He created tides and natural drains for a reason.
Understood.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post

I agree with almost everything you said, but the wiers are there to mitigate for the building of the ship channel. The ship channel created a direct route (north/south) for saltwater to come in and stay longer than the good Lord intended. Man did that, but without the ship channel what is Lake Charles? Its entire industry relies on that ship channel. Wiers were put there to mitigate for that rise in salinity that WILL kill brackish marsh.

If there was no ship channel there would not be a need for wiers. Its the same with the oil/gas canals, they provide direct routes for saltwater intrusion and inevitably erosion WILL happen. It can be seen on any aerial photo of coastal Louisiana (Wax Lake not included)
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
You are talking about two different monsters .....9o% of the east erosion is from changing water ways to build cites underwater level

Here on west side do not have a marsh erosion problem and our marshes were top shelf before Rita and Ike

Our east side Marshes are not in any kind of close gate choke off lake problem

This coming from guys who hunt, fish and live off that marsh along with a biologist

My lord W, really? No marsh erosion problems on west side? Haven't we gone through all this? Are you blind, come on man I can not believe you really said that.

as far as an 'off year' for fishing/shrimping, I have seen that from reports all over the state and its not because of a wier. Shrimping season has been much later than usual all over the state. You can see this just by asking the people who sell live shrimp from Hopedale, Grand Isle, and even Calcasieu Point. Its everywhere.

When people have a bad day fishing in Hopedale its because of freshwater diversions, Grand Isle is BP fault, Calcasieu Lake is the wiers or 15 trout limit, pick one

What 'east side' marshes are you talking about? East Louisiana or East Big Lake? Because there are definitely some manmade structures on the East side of Louisiana
Old 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Ling

Default Effects of saltwater

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1992.jpg (119.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 2005.jpg (129.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Ling

Default This is erosion W

Your land is eroding away right before your eyes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1998.jpg (106.6 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 2008.jpg (90.5 KB, 166 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

http://binged.it/15AjHT7

couldn't figure out how to post the picture of the map so here is the link
Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

How long has the ship channel been there? How long did the marsh survive before the levee and weirs were put there?

Also have to remember that weirs or no weirs, rita and ike covered the entire marsh in saltwater, which will also kill marsh, regardless of weirs.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

So pictures before and after rita cannot be compared fairly. Also, aerial photos look a whole lot different in summer time and winter
Old 09-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post

http://binged.it/15AjHT7

couldn't figure out how to post the picture of the map so here is the link
Boy that marsh looks all gone

Lmao

Duckbutt post deceiving maps
Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Duck Butt

Post Pick from Summer Marsh 1996 then Dead winter 2005 after hurricane

Makes him feel better about his save the grass job
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Duck Butt

Post Pick from Summer Marsh 1996 then Dead winter 2005 after hurricane

Makes him feel better about his save the grass job
If you truly believe that the marshes east and west of Calcasieu Lake are NOT disappearing then I really can not help and nor can anyone else. You really really need to get out from whatever rock it is you are under

The aerials are actual photographs, nothing is made up about them. What you are looking for is OPEN water. Look at the change in open water - water that was once LAND. Lord have mercy!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Ling

Here is a map that MG posted up for you. We have had this conversation already. The red is where land once was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sabine%20Land%20Loss%201932%20to%202006.jpg (65.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
How long has the ship channel been there? How long did the marsh survive before the levee and weirs were put there?

Good question, do the owners of the lake possibly know these answers? Also waiting on W's adveradage depth of his marsh.

The Ms River was brought under control throughout the mid 1800's but we did not begin to see exponential growth of negative impacts until nearly 100 years later.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Same pictures as last time we had this talk. If they are right I have to swim to my house.

That said yes ike and reida did a bad number on the marsh in sw la.!! See it first hand.

But why on the west side if BL. ( way more lose then the east side of BL. It is finely coming back and regrowing??

The 4 sets of wiers on that side have not been closed in 10 year's I know of. And none of the concrete/board wiers in the marsh ( you take out and put back for boat passage) even have the boards in them. And that marsh is starting to come back.
As far as the channel gos open all flood gates and dames and let it flood and wash sediment down and the marsh will rebuild way faster.

But know they stop/dame it up to protect people that chose to build on a river that floods!!!

Reida nocked down the levee on the east side of BL. For a reason??? What reason I don't know!!

Sorry for all the spelling erears in a tractor, feeding yalls families!!!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Same pictures as last time we had this talk. If they are right I have to swim to my house.

That said yes ike and reida did a bad number on the marsh in sw la.!! See it first hand.

But why on the west side if BL. ( way more lose then the east side of BL. It is finely coming back and regrowing??

The 4 sets of wiers on that side have not been closed in 10 year's I know of. And none of the concrete/board wiers in the marsh ( you take out and put back for boat passage) even have the boards in them. And that marsh is starting to come back.
As far as the channel gos open all flood gates and dames and let it flood and wash sediment down and the marsh will rebuild way faster.

But know they stop/dame it up to protect people that chose to build on a river that floods!!!

Reida nocked down the levee on the east side of BL. For a reason??? What reason I don't know!!

Sorry for all the spelling erears in a tractor, feeding yalls families!!!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

We already figured that out as well. Pretty sure one of the mods said your house was not underwater, so no swimming for you

Marshes are typically organic soils (muck), sediment is needed to build the foundation. If you put sediment on top of a muck marsh its no good. The plants are what keep all that held together. When a freshwater, intermediate, or brackish marsh is exposed to saltwater for long periods of time the vegetation dies and the soil washes away because there are no roots to hold it altogether. Salt marsh would handle that fine, but thats not salt marsh. Salt marsh couldn't come in because there would be no soil left for it to establish. (thats a very very condensed version, much much more to it than that).

Take home lesson: saltwater bad for plants that are not adapted to saltwater, pour a bucket of saltwater in your garden and see what happens. Salts are used for defoliants in farming industry to defoliate plants (kill them) so they can harvest. Salt was also used in the ancient times when peoples? would defeat another peoples?. They would 'salt the earth' so that nothing would grow and they would have to move on to find other areas to farm to feed themselves
Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Nick

the east side Marsh adv about 1.5 to 2 ft of water

DuckButter

Give up!! you will not win this battle!!! Our marsh is healthy and does not need the weirs to stay closed off to keep it growing

right now they have 15ppt trapped behind the weirs and ship channel is pushing 17 to 19

so what is the big deal of keep closed???
Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
We already figured that out as well. Pretty sure one of the mods said your house was not underwater, so no swimming for you
Thank good ness, cause was there last week and was able to drive , seen the pics again and thought I was going to have to swim. All I mean them photos don't tell/show the hole truth. Wiers no wiers. It didn't help either way.in my mind.