SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Thank good ness, cause was there last week and was able to drive , seen the pics again and thought I was going to have to swim. All I mean them photos don't tell/show the hole truth. Wiers no wiers. It didn't help either way.in my mind.

post 131 check it out, you are fine
http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...t=wiers&page=7
Old 09-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
If you truly believe that the marshes east and west of Calcasieu Lake are NOT disappearing then I really can not help and nor can anyone else. You really really need to get out from whatever rock it is you are under

The aerials are actual photographs, nothing is made up about them. What you are looking for is OPEN water. Look at the change in open water - water that was once LAND. Lord have mercy!
How long you thank it took to build that marsh???
How did two major storms, in 3 years plus all the crap from Cameron and the beech towns tear it up???

Got to give it some time to come back, that's just common since...
Old 09-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Nick

the east side Marsh adv about 1.5 to 2 ft of water

it ain't a marsh if its OPEN WATER and they are, they used to not be, thats what we are saying, its open water brah

DuckButter

Give up!! you will not win this battle!!! Our marsh is healthy and does not need the weirs to stay closed off to keep it growing

Growing marsh? Negative tboy

right now they have 15ppt trapped behind the weirs and ship channel is pushing 17 to 19

Seems like they are doing what they are there for then if they are trying to keep the saline water from getting back there right? After all 15ppt is less than 17 to 19ppt by my calculations Do you not think that if that wier was open, the salinity would rise? Its called equilibrium

so what is the big deal of keep closed???
CCA and DU are co-conspiring to keep ducks on the private property back there, and to allow the private property owners back there to catch all the shrimp they want before anyone else gets a shot at it. DU will open the wiers whenever they get more people down here. Currently all the Lousiana DU people are in Missouri pouring corn out to shortstop ducks. After that, they have to construct the nets that are placed in the air to shortstop the ducks also. Once all that is done, they should be down here to open the wiers. Wait, I forgot, they will be up there til January heating the fields up there. So maybe at the end of January they will open the wiers, doesn't matter though because all the shrimp and crabs will be dead in October from this big freeze you keep talking bout

But seriously, are you just mad because the birds are not picking shrimp and you can't fish the birds
Old 09-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Ling

Quote:
How did two major storms, in 3 years plus all the crap from Cameron and the beech towns tear it up???

You see that 'Pleistocene' wording at the top of the page? that was from millions of years ago and that is from glacial sediments in that time. The marsh below that is from organic materials that took a long time to build as well

It is very very hard to restore something back to the way it was. It is MUCH easier to try and save what you have than to restore it and that is the decisions that some people are going to have to make.

I would not buy waterfront property in the marsh in SW La or SE La, because its going away a football field PER HOUR
Old 09-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Red Snapper

Agree, but how you going to get sediment or organic matter in them with all the leaves and dams. To get organic matter something has to die and then rebuild.

I am not pro or con wiers, but do believe man kind has over engineered flood plans, and leaves and dams.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
CCA and DU are co-conspiring to keep ducks on the private property back there, and to allow the private property owners back there to catch all the shrimp they want before anyone else gets a shot at it. DU will open the wiers whenever they get more people down here. Currently all the Lousiana DU people are in Missouri pouring corn out to shortstop ducks. After that, they have to construct the nets that are placed in the air to shortstop the ducks also. Once all that is done, they should be down here to open the wiers. Wait, I forgot, they will be up there til January heating the fields up there. So maybe at the end of January they will open the wiers, doesn't matter though because all the shrimp and crabs will be dead in October from this big freeze you keep talking bout

But seriously, are you just mad because the birds are not picking shrimp and you can't fish the birds
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Ling

Quote:
Agree, but how you going to get sediment or organic matter in them with all the leaves and dams. To get organic matter something has to die and then rebuild.

I am not pro or con wiers, but do believe man kind has over engineered flood plans, and leaves and dams.
Thats just it, you are not getting any new material into the system, we have screwed that all up with the levees. You can look at an aerial of the MS River and see sediment going straight out the channel into the Gulf. Some of that used to get distributed out. The heavy sediments on the bottom would build the land and the lighter silts on top and freshwater would replenish the marsh. All goes straight out to sea now

After the 1927? flood, the Corps put the levees went up and that was considered to be a good thing (they never wanted a flood like that to happen again). I have never heard that anyone was against this at the time, no one knew the ecological damage this would do, and it took many decades of cutting off the marshes before we started seeing the effects. Now we know (or at least I hope most of us know) that was a bad thing ecologically.

In the east you can point to the MS River levee as the 'culprit', around Big Lake you can point to the construction of the Ship Chanel. The MS River levee has probably saved thousands of lives from flooding but its also causing flooding to be worse so its Catch-22. And shipping in the Ship Channel is what makes the Lake Charles area, but it also allows saltwater in, which is good for trout but bad for brackish marsh, so which one is more important? Trout or marsh? The marsh is way more important to me as it is the basis of the food chain for not only fish but everything from birds, shrimp, crabs, etc.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:

It will take much longer than you think. You will not see it, I will not see nor will our children see it.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Ling

Quote:

Why don't you ever bring up the saltwater barrier? Why was it installed?

Is it for some landowner behind it to save their wigeongrass?

Why would anyone want to keep saltwater out?

You should get up a team of people and go protest the saltwater barrier and get them to destroy that thing. The people in Moss Bluff should be allowed to catch trout from their docks, and the saltwater barrier is keeping those people from their rights as fishermen!!!!!

Hope you got some money saved for an ice eater if you plan on duck hunting this year. No sense in fishing with the wiers being closed, and the marshes are going to freeze so gonna need to bust dat ice to kill ducks
Old 09-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Why don't you ever bring up the saltwater barrier? Why was it installed?

Is it for some landowner behind it to save their wigeongrass?

Why would anyone want to keep saltwater out?

You should get up a team of people and go protest the saltwater barrier and get them to destroy that thing. The people in Moss Bluff should be allowed to catch trout from their docks, and the saltwater barrier is keeping those people from their rights as fishermen!!!!!

Hope you got some money saved for an ice eater if you plan on duck hunting this year. No sense in fishing with the wiers being closed, and the marshes are going to freeze so gonna need to bust dat ice to kill ducks
We do catch reds, trout, lady fish, and flounder off our docks. Infact it really doesn't keep saltwater out like most think.
But that's another subject there for another day.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

They use to catch Tarpon in Lake Charles !!!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Red Snapper

Again I agree. They didn't care what happened down river/stream. Back then. The marsh and offshore islands is what helps protect the south US.
They helped a few to put a bunch of people in danger?? And it was man made mess that the news never talks about!!!! My thought it leave it alown and let mother earth take care of the marsh. Cause it will rebuild one day long after we gone. Can't talk for the east side of the lake cause only been in that marsh twice, but the west side is just now coming back from the storm's and looking better every time I get in there.

It my not be the best hunting/fishing but that organic is building up and places where there was land grass is inch or so below the water. Trees growing again.(small but growing) it just takes time, and I would hate for something man did to interrupt the cycle.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Red Snapper

Again I no environmentist, but that's the a holes that started this mess
Old 09-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
We do catch reds, trout, lady fish, and flounder off our docks. Infact it really doesn't keep saltwater out like most think.
In fact is a strong phrase....what are the facts?

A fact is not you catching saltwater species of fish, or that you taste saltwater when you swim at your dock.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
yeah, the saltwater barrier design is another topic for another day!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Ling

Quote:
They use to catch Tarpon in Lake Charles !!!
They used to catch BASS in Big Lake!!!!

There also used to be a healhty flock of whooping cranes here, and Canada geese would come down, and most of southwest La was prairie, and there was once a time in Louisiana where a fulvous or black-bellied whistling duck was a very rare occurence, and buffalo once roamed here, and a dime bag costed a dime whats your point?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:

There also used to be a healhty flock of whooping cranes here, and Canada geese would come down, and most of southwest La was prairie, and there was once a time in Louisiana where a fulvous or black-bellied whistling duck was a very rare occurence, and buffalo once roamed here, and a dime bag costed a dime whats your point?

my point is saltwater has been in Lake Charles way before you and I were even born!! its part of life when you live on the gulf coast!

If God did not want saltwater to intrude lakes and bays he would of make the gulf freshwater

you can not have a marsh that is less than 5 miles from the gulf of Mexico and expect it to stay fresh..

CMON man
Old 09-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Red Snapper

Hairout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
In fact is a strong phrase....what are the facts?

A fact is not you catching saltwater species of fish, or that you taste saltwater when you swim at your dock.
Should be no need for it if the river was free flowing !!

Sounds to me like he catches saltwater fish at his dock??

Everyone is going to have their own opinion., as to why the marsh is leaving.

But know long after we are all gone it will rebuild it self.

It didn't take man to build it just man to f it up!! Thank about that?!!!

So why/can we thank we can fix it now?? Just cause of CPU.?? Don't forget back in the 20's-30's when this hole mess started they had the best/most advanced minds working on it!!!!

And now we see what's happening!

What makes any of y'all thank the "New plan" is any better then there's????

I say that cause even with CPU. They had a way better understanding of water and the environment then us cause that was there life!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Ling

Cheers

Quote:
Again I no environmentist, but that's the a holes that started this mess
At the time 'they' didn't know what they were doing was bad. All they knew is that they were keeping people out of danger (by building levees). Just like the oil/gas companies didn't know that their canals were going to create future problems. There are actual lawsuits out there right now to try and get money from oil companies for causing erosion when they dug canals way back when

Now we KNOW what saltwater does, and that erosion will follow, but 'fixing' it is the issue because all this is new, its never been done before. There are some tough decisions to be made. You can leave it alone and watch it all go away (but in the meanwhile enjoy the fishing/hunting while it lasts and future generations will look back and ask why nothing was done), or try and do something to mitigate the problem (let your kids and grandkids get to be able to enjoy it too). We have to have the ship channel and we are probably not going to see the MS River levee taken down in our lifetime. Sorry I am getting off topic
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:

Yep and man f that up to!!!! There still in tx.

It won't be long ya'll will be talking about duck hunting/fishing in tx with yalls POV.

Oh well stay down there till that happens in the next few year's!!!