SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Anyone that does not believe saltwater intrusion is bad in SW La, please just do the following:

1. Call or stop by the LDWF office in Lake Charles and 'axe' a biologist there about saltwater intrusion effects on the marshes of SW La

2. Head straight down 27 from there to Cameron Prairie NWR and axe someone there if saltwater intrusion is affecting them negatively

3. On the way there check out the marshes to the west and east side of the road and look at all that open water

4. At 82 head east to Rockefeller and stop in and talk to a biologist or manager there about saltwater intrusion and how its affecting management there

5. Keep heading west and look to the north side of the road and notice all those big old live oaks along the side of the road that saltwater killed

6. Keep heading east til you cross the Intracoastal and talk to a rice farmer in Vermilion Parish and see if saltwater is affecting them

7. Stop by in Lafayette and drink a beer with me

Head down 82 and you can not see the water because it is so over grown

Call rice farmers anywhere south of I 10 and they will all tell u about saltwater when in a drought ... we were sucking up saltwater in the 70's and 60's and 50's and 40's when there was zero rain for months ( nothing new)
Old 09-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Duck Butter, come up with a better argument that hwy 27 and 82. Lmao no **** it's dead, it was under 10ft of ocean water.

Guess what too, it's all starting to come back.

It doesn't matter what you do to protect marshes, when a major hurricane comes every 25 years and covers everything in 10-15 feet of ocean water, it's all going to die. It's all a cycle that has been happening for forever. Don't compare our side of the state to the east side, that has the mississippi river levied off and tons and tons of man made canals dug throughout the marshes. The marsh off of 82 is coming back and starting to look great. Hell besides a few places on the south side of 82, eerything is so overgrown you can't even see into the marsh. It wouldn't make one bit of difference what had been done to the marsh that still doesn't look good, the hurricane did that, and it'll happen again and again in the future.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

nevermind, see y'all next thread

I have said plenty
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
Duck Butter, come up with a better argument that hwy 27 and 82. Lmao no **** it's dead, it was under 10ft of ocean water.

Guess what too, it's all starting to come back.

It doesn't matter what you do to protect marshes, when a major hurricane comes every 25 years and covers everything in 10-15 feet of ocean water, it's all going to die. It's all a cycle that has been happening for forever. Don't compare our side of the state to the east side, that has the mississippi river levied off and tons and tons of man made canals dug throughout the marshes. The marsh off of 82 is coming back and starting to look great. Hell besides a few places on the south side of 82, eerything is so overgrown you can't even see into the marsh. It wouldn't make one bit of difference what had been done to the marsh that still doesn't look good, the hurricane did that, and it'll happen again and again in the future.
It doesn't matter how many feet its covered, if saltwater stays in those systems for long enough it will kill it. That is the point. The wiers are there to keep the highly saline water from getting back there. That is it, we know what will happen when highly saline water gets on plants. You just said it = 'its all going to die'. Now I have said enough
Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
It doesn't matter how many feet its covered, if saltwater stays in those systems for long enough it will kill it. That is the point. The wiers are there to keep the highly saline water from getting back there. That is it, we know what will happen when highly saline water gets on plants. You just said it = 'its all going to die'. Now I have said enough
Really?? Been having high salinity all up on west side and Marsh is green green green

(until winter)
Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Weirs are fine when open!! They have been keep open for years and years until Rita blew them out( mother nature takes care of her self)

Once repaired they were still keep open until this new "Duck Hunting Management took over "

Now that the duck grass is built up they want to make sure the duck grass dont die!!!

So new duck hunting management has set up salinity stations to monitor there grass growth!!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Its all about who pays the most money! Always has been and always will be....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Weirs are fine when open!! They have been keep open for years and years until Rita blew them out( mother nature takes care of her self)

Once repaired they were still keep open until this new "Duck Hunting Management took over "

Now that the duck grass is built up they want to make sure the duck grass dont die!!!

So new duck hunting management has set up salinity stations to monitor there grass growth!!
So, when the wiers were back in place the 'duck grass' came back? Hmmmmmmmmmmm, wonder why? Perhaps the lower salinity behind a functional wier So the wiers are doing what they were designed for, who woulda thunk it
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Red Snapper

DB, I thought you were done with this thread. I am aware that it doesn't matter how much water is covering it (i don't know why you would assume i was trying to make some kind of point there anyway), but my point is that all the work that is being done to keep the saltwater out (weirs) will be ruined as soon as the next hurricane comes along. You will be right back to having dead marsh and big open water.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Red Snapper

Also, DB, why aren't there weirs on east bank of Sabine Lake? The marsh over there looks pretty dang healthy to me w/out weirs. Are you 100% sure that the duck grasses in the marsh behind the weirs would not have come back if the weirs weren't there?
Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Ling

Quote:
DB, I thought you were done with this thread. I am aware that it doesn't matter how much water is covering it (i don't know why you would assume i was trying to make some kind of point there anyway), but my point is that all the work that is being done to keep the saltwater out (weirs) will be ruined as soon as the next hurricane comes along. You will be right back to having dead marsh and big open water.
On lunch break so present for a minute

So, by that way of thinking we should just not even rebuild houses, duck camps, stores etc. along the coast as after 'all the work being done....will be ruined as soon as the next hurricane comes along' If that was the case no one would live along the entire east coast or Gulf coast because all of them have been hit by big hurricanes.
You can't predict hurricanes or earthquakes or tornadoes, just have to deal with them as they come along. Rita and Katrinas are pretty 'unusual' hurricanes, those don't come around that often thankfully.

off topic sorta but
Come to think of it, there really isn't anywhere in the US that is 'safe' from a natural disaster (earthquakes, volcanoes, wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc.) Boulder, Co of all places just got flooded
Old 09-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Ling

Quote:
Also, DB, why aren't there weirs on east bank of Sabine Lake? The marsh over there looks pretty dang healthy to me w/out weirs. Are you 100% sure that the duck grasses in the marsh behind the weirs would not have come back if the weirs weren't there?
I do not know why there are no wiers over there, I thought someone said there were actually wiers on that side? Wiers would have to be installed by someone's request, guess whoever owns land there didn't request a wier to be installed? Are you talking about Sabine NWR?

(duck grasses coming back) - No one can predict what would happen if wiers were or were not there with 100% accuracy. But we KNOW that there is a timeframe (or threshhold) where brackish marsh can withstand a certain salinity for a certain amount of days before it dies (many papers published on this). Same with many plants and other environmental factors there are studies that show exactly how many days a certain plant can be overtopped with water before it dies. I want to say bald cypress seedlings are like 90 days overtopped before they die, but anyways I have a paper around here somewhere talking about salinity threshholds on plants see if I can dig it up later

edit: hold on a minute I read over this

"Also, DB, why aren't there weirs on east bank of Sabine Lake? The marsh over there looks pretty dang healthy to me w/out weirs"

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the outlet of Sabine (Sabine Pass) a natural waterway? Ship Channel in Big Lake is not natural, Sabine Pass is natural or is at least shallower than the Ship Channel correct?

Your answer is a manmade Ship Channel vs a natural pass what we have been discussing since page 1 (until W got us all sidetracked!)

map of Louisiana marsh types, Sabine side appears to be intermediate marsh as Calcasieu is brackish, and they are two totally different animals
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1224/pdf/OFR2008-1224.pdf

Last edited by Duck Butter; 09-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,190

This state is really struggling with Salvinia right now, mother natures fix of a storm would get this problem under control. It's coming you just don't know when.

I can't tell you how many thousand dollars and countless hours we have spent in my marsh this year trying to get rid of this stuff. We are fighting a loosing battle and my lease is not worth paying for at this point.

Sorry for the rant and off topic post....

Regarding the coastal issues at the end of the day man create our issues with the ship channel on the west side and controlling the river on the east side and now man is trying to fix what he already screwed up and could be making the problem worse. Trying to play God is not always the right answer.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Red Snapper

Salvania made it into our marsh this year as well, thankfully not around my blind yet
Old 09-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
This state is really struggling with Salvinia right now, mother natures fix of a storm would get this problem under control. It's coming you just don't know when.

I can't tell you how many thousand dollars and countless hours we have spent in my marsh this year trying to get rid of this stuff. We are fighting a loosing battle and my lease is not worth paying for at this point.

Sorry for the rant and off topic post....

Regarding the coastal issues at the end of the day man create our issues with the ship channel on the west side and controlling the river on the east side and now man is trying to fix what he already screwed up and could be making the problem worse. Trying to play God is not always the right answer.
You just need some more water back there
Old 09-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
You just need some more water back there
Hopefully this Friday and Saturday!

Did you get my text?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Ling

SALVINIA!!!!!!! Stuff is ruining everything
Old 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Don't think we can compare Sabine lake and big lake on this topic. Big lake has had much more work done to it(ship channel). Sabine also has the river, which when both rivers are high and Toledo bend is flowing water, Sabine lake gets much more fresh water. Big lake has a 60' deep ship channel which I would think drastically increase the influence by gulf tides...
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

so i started reading from page 1... made it 6 pages before i became tired of reading the useless internet bs and ive skipped to the end. did i miss the part where anyone actually had useful information and possible links to how we can be kept up on the weir subject? or did everyone just continue to anonymously try to talk trash? cause i dont know if a single one of you is at all credible now! i had to check my web address each page to make sure i wasnt being sent to the wrong place. Wheres the beef?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-TOP View Post
Don't think we can compare Sabine lake and big lake on this topic. Big lake has had much more work done to it(ship channel). Sabine also has the river, which when both rivers are high and Toledo bend is flowing water, Sabine lake gets much more fresh water. Big lake has a 60' deep ship channel which I would think drastically increase the influence by gulf tides...
42ft.