SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Trolling the ship channel?

In our years in Ohio and Colorado, we developed some precision trolling techniques that are very effective on freshwater trout and walleye. Doing some fall cleaning today, I see a lot of gear that we have not really figured out how to use effectively in Louisiana. The basic idea is that we can control depth and distance from the boat and simultaneously troll 6-8 lines out at depths from 5-25 feet deep.

We simply adjust the depth to where we're marking fish (or bait) on the sonar and then switch over to the lures that are working. We experienced tremendous success with technique (6+ fish per hour) on trout in Colorado and Walleye in Lake Erie, as well as doing ok on bass in some freshwater reservoirs. We know folks get similar techniques to work well in Florida ship channels and deeper areas, but we're wondering if this might work in the Calcasieu ship channel.

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,216

It works on Lake P for big trout, this is what I've read. Seems to be a dying art.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Swordfish

And this doesn't seem like much of a "competition with the fish"
Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

They had some guys that trolled the Mr. Go for specks and did well. Have to be really patient. I don't see why it wouldnt work on the there.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

They catch a lot of fish on lake p doing this. Several articles have been written on it also.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trolling.jpg (33.6 KB, 724 views)
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Wow! A purported libertarian criticizing another angler's view of fair chase!

We've trolled a spread of lures around many, many days and only boated a few fish, but when it works, it can work very well.

In Colorado, the fly fishermen all thought they were the bees knees and looked down on those who soaked power bait or caught fish trolling.

In Ohio, the bow hunters all looked down on the cross bow hunters, and the flintlock guys all looked down on the in-line muzzleloading hunters.

I thought maybe I had escaped such elitist folly among sportsmen in Louisiana, but now such nonsense is being spouted by a libertarian.

You elitist about your brand of weed too?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Wow! A purported libertarian criticizing another angler's view of fair chase!

We've trolled a spread of lures around many, many days and only boated a few fish, but when it works, it can work very well.

In Colorado, the fly fishermen all thought they were the bees knees and looked down on those who soaked power bait or caught fish trolling.

In Ohio, the bow hunters all looked down on the cross bow hunters, and the flintlock guys all looked down on the in-line muzzleloading hunters.

I thought maybe I had escaped such elitist folly among sportsmen in Louisiana, but now such nonsense is being spouted by a libertarian.

You elitist about your brand of weed too?
The elitest here is you, "trolling" a thread about a tournament series you don't know anything about. It was perfect timing.

Watch your mouth accusing me of smoking pot, you arrogant, over educated, self righteous troll. Defending a common sense right does not make me a user of what I'm defending, just like calling you out here about trolling doesn't mean I am against the fishing method.

I didn't look down on you for trolling, I actually trolled the other day. But, I did look down on the fact that you spoke of how much you look down on a tournament by poking out your chest and saying your "challenge is with the fish". Then, within a few minutes post a request for advice on the laziest fishing method known to man, with the exception of sleeping in a hammock with bells on a rod tip.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

oh boy.

*popcorn*
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
The elitest here is you, "trolling" a thread about a tournament series you don't know anything about. It was perfect timing.

Watch your mouth accusing me of smoking pot, you arrogant, over educated, self righteous troll. Defending a common sense right does not make me a user of what I'm defending, just like calling you out here about trolling doesn't mean I am against the fishing method.

I didn't look down on you for trolling, I actually trolled the other day. But, I did look down on the fact that you spoke of how much you look down on a tournament by poking out your chest and saying your "challenge is with the fish". Then, within a few minutes post a request for advice on the laziest fishing method known to man, with the exception of sleeping in a hammock with bells on a rod tip.
L O L
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
oh boy.

*popcorn*

can i have me somma dat ?? Eat, eat, pass ??
Old 11-14-2013, 06:36 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:

When I wrote:

My contest is with the fish, not with the other fishermen.

I was just pointing out my personal view and motive for fishing, not taking a dig at anyone else's. Folks can have all the contests they want about catching the most and the biggest. Such things just don't catch my personal interest. I don't look down on contests among fishermen any more than I look down on peanut butter sandwiches.

There are a lot more lazy techniques than trolling: explosives, electrofishing, rotenone, gill nets, trawling, etc. etc. Each has its place and purpose, and where legal I offer no criticism.

Liberty is about the freedom to make things harder for yourself if you want it to be harder. But being disrespectful of fishing techniques because they are perceived as too easy is just a way to divide the sporting community. Only PETA wins.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Swordfish

I was disrespectful?

Maybe go back through this very short thread and see who was actually disrespectful.

Stop acting like you were voicing your opinion for the sake of nobleman and free speech throughout the western land. Your comment shortly after the tourney dates were posted was clearly an act of arrogance, and that made the libertarian in me fume.

If you've grown used to losing competitions all your life, don't justify it by trying to impose your holier than thou concepts on those that love to beat the hell out of the next guy in a good competition.

You don't need advice on trolling, you did a great job on the Louisiana Saltwater Series thread...
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

From trolling to weed in 6 comments. Lol.
Just goes to show you how strong weed is these days. It addles the mind of people who don't use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
I was disrespectful?

If you've grown used to losing competitions all your life, don't justify it by trying to impose your holier than thou concepts on those that love to beat the hell out of the next guy in a good competition.

You don't need advice on trolling, you did a great job on the Louisiana Saltwater Series thread...
Popcorn spilled !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2013, 07:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
When I wrote:

My contest is with the fish, not with the other fishermen.

I was just pointing out my personal view and motive for fishing, not taking a dig at anyone else's. Folks can have all the contests they want about catching the most and the biggest. Such things just don't catch my personal interest. I don't look down on contests among fishermen any more than I look down on peanut butter sandwiches.

There are a lot more lazy techniques than trolling: explosives, electrofishing, rotenone, gill nets, trawling, etc. etc. Each has its place and purpose, and where legal I offer no criticism.

Liberty is about the freedom to make things harder for yourself if you want it to be harder. But being disrespectful of fishing techniques because they are perceived as too easy is just a way to divide the sporting community. Only PETA wins.
ITs funny you say this when not to long ago you bad mouthed guides who always fish out the same boat launch or marina . It seems as though you called them lazy and not a wise choice . Perhaps you should take some of your own advice and stop the bashing as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,322

Thank you guys!!! Lol This thread is good stuff!!! I don't need to turn on my tv!! I love the passion though!!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
ITs funny you say this when not to long ago you bad mouthed guides who always fish out the same boat launch or marina . It seems as though you called them lazy and not a wise choice . Perhaps you should take some of your own advice and stop the bashing as well.
Free market. I also recommend Hondas over Fords, Savage rifles over Remington, Berger bullets over Sierra, Nissan outboards over Mercs, Aluminum boats over fiberglass, Shimano reels over Penn. Ford need to improve reliability, Remington needs to start making decent barrels again, etc., etc.

I've had better experience with guides willing to go to the fish rather than guides who always fish out of the same port. If you offer a product or service to the public, you should man up and accept feedback and recommendations from the public without feeling "bashed."

And speaking of a lazy way to fish, to me the easiest way to fish is to hire a guide, much easier than trolling the ship channel. Certainly, it should be legal and it is fair chase, but it is the easiest way to bring home a cooler full of fish.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

We troll alot in the bayou. We'll let out line till we bump bottom then reel up till it stops. We'll have that one under our leg and then throw lures with another rod. Works great.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Flounder

Cash: 707

Hey Breambuster, that was a good tip. Thanks.