SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124
Default Ok Fellas its F stands for Fertilizer February

Time to drag out the triple 13 and hit all your fruit and nut trees guys here is how its done:

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2...row-again.html
Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I use to use the "poke hole" method using a smaller tool and maybe putting 1/4 to 1/2 cup in each hole. Now I mostly just sprinkle it about a foot or so wide just outside the drip line.

I am not seeing any new growth on the fruit trees so far....... so I will wait some more before putting out the fertilizer.

As for the garden.... I might put out triple 13 this week to give it time to work it's way into the soil. And I will be ordering my seeds this week.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Red Snapper

What ever works for ya dude. triple 13 is cheap and works well. It doesn't keep well though moisture ruins it fast. Buy what ya need and use what ya got.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Well some of my fruit trees are starting to put out some new growth, so I put out my fertilizer today.

I get the LSU "CalHort" newsletter that is preapared by Robert Turley with the LSU AgCenter. The Winter 2014 issue had some good information about fertilizing fruit trees.

Per this information, I have only been putting about 1/2 the recommended amount. So today I greatly increased the amount..... but I still kept the amount a little less than recommended.

What I put out seamed like a lot. Guess time will tell me if I did good. What I put out was about 78 lbs of 13-13-13 on 9 fairly large fruit trees. This works out to 8.7 lbs per tree VS. the recommended amount of 12 lbs.

I poked holes about 8" deep using a big crowbar and put about 1/2 to 3/4 cup in each hole that were 15" to 18" apart. The holes were just outside the plant's "drip line". I also sprinkled an equal amount of fertilizer out past the drip line in a band about 15" wide.

Now I am out of fertilizer and need to fertilize several more trees and plant.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Red Snapper

I get my triple 13 at the feed store walking distance from my house its 17 and change tax included for 50 lbs. I put one lb per hole and 10 t0 12 holes around our big citrus and 2 to 8 holes around other stuff. 100 lbs and I figure its a good investment we always have plenty fruit and one year I skipped coincidence or not we had noticeably off year.