SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default recommendations for weed killers

for the stuff under my house:
often I buy stuff for my lawn and I cant tell if its doing anything or not, especially weed killers that never seam to do anything unless i'm reapplying every few weeks. I tried the stuff that claims to leave nuked ground that nothing can grow on yet after 3 weeks I have stuff resprouting again. the ground cant be that fertile because I only need to cut grass every 3 weeks most of the year, every two weeks in june and july and just for august it needs cutting once a week so im glad it doesn't grow much but weeds sure do. im about to start spraying motor oil and diesel 50/50 mix but im going to give "something" one more chance if you guys know something that really does work without needing 55 gallons a week applied to the ground. this is for weeds under a house that gets a lot of direct sunlight.

for the stuff out in the lawn:
weed and feed stuff is also on my list of things i'm looking for recommendations on, mainly I have clover issues pretty much covering 25% of the lawn so what do you guys find works the best, and you really get your moneys worth out of choosing that brand over others?

im looking for weed control mainly but the weed and feed combinations "sound" like a good idea.

thank you for any advice or recomendations
Old 02-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

glyphosate for grass and 2-4-D for broad leaves is about the best you can buy with out a chemical applicators license
Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
glyphosate for grass and 2-4-D for broad leaves is about the best you can buy with out a chemical applicators license

You are correct. But make sure weather is above 75-80F or the kill will be delayed. I made the mistake of spraying weeds when it was 60F. A week later no kill so I sprayed again with a stronger mix. Once the weather turned warmer, it was dirt.

Clover in your yard, use a weed and feed with 30+ nitrogen to kill clover and green up ur lawn. Gotta water it in and apply on damp grass for it to stick to broadleaf weeds.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Red Snapper

ok, thanks guys.

I have been using roundup the last few years and it does a great job of killing the stuff above ground and "slowing" regrowth but not killing the below ground roots so it keeps coming back over and over and I put it on good so the ground around the stems is wet afterwards.

If I use chemicals to kill something I expect it to stay dead and it just doesn't look like that's working with the roundup. it seams to kill grass good but not so good with the weed regrowth issue.

im going to try that 2-4-D stuff and see what happens.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
ok, thanks guys.

I have been using roundup the last few years and it does a great job of killing the stuff above ground and "slowing" regrowth but not killing the below ground roots so it keeps coming back over and over and I put it on good so the ground around the stems is wet afterwards.

If I use chemicals to kill something I expect it to stay dead and it just doesn't look like that's working with the roundup. it seams to kill grass good but not so good with the weed regrowth issue.

im going to try that 2-4-D stuff and see what happens.
you buy it premixed or you mix it yourself? sounds ilke you just need a stronger solution. Read the application guidelines for the plants you are trying to kill. you can also mix glyphosate and 2-4-d in the same solution, but make sure you want everything you spray it on to die. If there is dew on the ground or a chance of rain, wait for the grass to dry or the rain to pass.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

And don't mix glyphosate and 2-4d and let it sit too long. It will separate and the 2-4d will turn into a solid chunk. Roundup weather max is what we use if you can get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
you buy it premixed or you mix it yourself? sounds ilke you just need a stronger solution. Read the application guidelines for the plants you are trying to kill. you can also mix glyphosate and 2-4-d in the same solution, but make sure you want everything you spray it on to die. If there is dew on the ground or a chance of rain, wait for the grass to dry or the rain to pass.
well I was buying the roundup concentrate and mixing it double the amount it said to use and I only did it after 10am when the grass was completely dry and no rain that day or at least for several hours away. it did work great to kill stuff but 2 or 3 weeks later under the house there was new weeds sprouting everywhere and this is old dirt that's been there for 5 years so its not like I put new soil there that had weed seeds contained in it. every 2 or 3 weeks like clockwork, no matter what I have been spraying it with, I see a new crop of weeds sprouting again. now a quick respray kills it but im trying to eradicate them permanently and I think it should be possible to do it since this is a closed off section of ground completely surrounded by a 12" deep concrete chain wall foundation barrier on all sides and once it is cleared of all weeds and new weed growth it should stay that way permanently so that is my goal.

Quote:
you can also mix glyphosate and 2-4-d in the same solution, but make sure you want everything you spray it on to die.
sounds like I should mix both for under the house where I want it to be a scorched earth nuclear waste zone then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
And don't mix glyphosate and 2-4d and let it sit too long. It will separate and the 2-4d will turn into a solid chunk. Roundup weather max is what we use if you can get some.
thanks for the warning about that, that's great info to know.

when I combine them I will premix the stuff in a separate water jug then pour it into the sprayer as I need it so any solids stay out of the sprayer

Last edited by keakar; 02-23-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I could be wrong, but to get the scorched earth nuclear waste zone effect you're looking for you might be best off with burnt oil. Especially if you don't have a pesticide license.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
I could be wrong, but to get the scorched earth nuclear waste zone effect you're looking for you might be best off with burnt oil. Especially if you don't have a pesticide license.

yep that's what I had in the back of my mind for under the house but you never know when you might need to crawl under there so oily ground can have its own issues, that's why im trying to give all other options the best try I can.

that said, im going to be saving any old used oil just in case.

my grampa used to use old used oil plus 50% diesel and sprayed under the house ant it worked great but it was messy as hell and could ruin your clothes if you had to go do work under the house.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,855

Sahara will be my suggestion as long as u don't have anything that feeds in the area of application.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will"E"Fish View Post
Sahara will be my suggestion as long as u don't have anything that feeds in the area of application.
wowsa! that stuff aint cheap lol, but as with most things, if it works its worth it

its mostly just Diuron so I looked into that and its a little cheaper without the name brand

I need to saturate 800-900 sq feet of ground area with something