SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

View Poll Results: Should Louisiana Legalize Drugs?
Marijuana only, and only for adults. Still a felony to provide to minors. 26 48.15%
Marijuana only for adults, reduced penalties for access to minors. 5 9.26%
Legalize all drugs for consenting adults. 6 11.11%
No changes to current Louisiana drugs laws. 15 27.78%
Reduce penalty for first time marijuana users: no jail time. 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Redfish

Cash: 740

Reading this "made" me go buy an 1/8 of some of the finest I've had in a while. Thanks Mathgeek!!!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ted View Post
Reading this "made" me go buy an 1/8 of some of the finest I've had in a while. Thanks Mathgeek!!!

Are you saying that this thread was a "gateway"
To you smoking the chron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
Are you saying that this thread was a "gateway"
To you smoking the chron?

A flippin' flood gate!!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Ling

Quote:
A flippin' flood gate!!!!

Please don't go buy heroin later ! Please !

Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I believe MG is reluctant to agree because the possiblity of the legalization of weed in Louisiana will also bring forth the liberal agenda to a state which has strictly been conservative. It is qutie possible that MG has experienced this first hand with the events in Colorado and the fears are more than just the health/addictive issues associated with weed.
I don't think that's the case here, really. I spent a good bit of time in CO in the mid to late 90's and, that place was screwed up then. The massive influx of Californians ruined it. CA people were in great numbers there when the CA economy began to go south during that time.

This was well before the legalization of weed ever came to pass.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Redfish

The coke and baking soda are on the stove already. I heard you have to boil it for at least 10 minutes to cook all of the caffeine out!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Ling

Quote:
The coke and baking soda are on the stove already. I heard you have to boil it for at least 10 minutes to cook all of the caffeine out!

Oh nooooo. Ted done broke bad ! and all because of the weed !

Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

Watch it bubble up that's that double up
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Watch out Walter white
Old 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I believe MG is reluctant to agree because the possiblity of the legalization of weed in Louisiana will also bring forth the liberal agenda to a state which has strictly been conservative. It is qutie possible that MG has experienced this first hand with the events in Colorado and the fears are more than just the health/addictive issues associated with weed.
That quite probably is the case, I doubt many who support legalization and regulation would be happy with an end result like what happened in Ft. Collins. There is simply no justification for 100's of clinics to spring up overnight. In the interests of avoiding monopolization a dozen or so clinics in an average american city will be more than sufficient to ensure that competition keeps prices reasonable.

That's the whole point of the Legalization & Regulation, It's not one to allow anything to run rampant. Capitalism effects are not instant however. Just like with cigarettes & alcohol a solid system of regulation will both decrease the products use, and further limit it's availability to those who should not have it (underage kids).
Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Red Snapper

fyi... not sure that anything will come of it, but.......

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...marijuana-laws
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
fyi... not sure that anything will come of it, but.......

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...marijuana-laws
Legalization of cannabis at the federal level would require repeal of the Controlled Substances Act, which in turn would require the United States to withdraw from the international treaty known as the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.

This makes the question much bigger than "should marijuana be legal" and makes it necessary to consider bigger questions such as:

"Should the United States be unilaterally withdrawing from longstanding obligations under international treaties?"

I would hate for the US to set such an example, lest other nations start unilaterally withdrawing from their longstanding treaty obligations to the United States.

Is it wise to give other nations carte blanche to back out of their treaty obligations in matters such as trade, food safety, extradition, peace, environmental issues, arms inspections, nuclear reductions, etc.?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Treaties are not eternal. If the UN existed a couple hundred years ago, there would have surely been some treaties based on slavery - undoubtedly, those would have been washed away.

Being that the US contributes more to the UN than any other country, and the fact that these treaties are like a deadbolt keeping honest thieves out, I doubt the retraction due to hemp or marijuana legalization would have a profound effect on anything.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Legalization of cannabis at the federal level would require repeal of the Controlled Substances Act, which in turn would require the United States to withdraw from the international treaty known as the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.

This makes the question much bigger than "should marijuana be legal" and makes it necessary to consider bigger questions such as:

"Should the United States be unilaterally withdrawing from longstanding obligations under international treaties?"

I would hate for the US to set such an example, lest other nations start unilaterally withdrawing from their longstanding treaty obligations to the United States.

Is it wise to give other nations carte blanche to back out of their treaty obligations in matters such as trade, food safety, extradition, peace, environmental issues, arms inspections, nuclear reductions, etc.?

Cannabis could easily be rescheduled and probably de-scheduled With a executive order.
Once rescheduled it would not meet the priority of the controlled substances act. Effectively removing it and keeping the CSA in place and the treaties in place.

Rescheduling and making it a non priority for law enforcement. That would be a good start. If there is nothing in it for them like asset forfeiture and keeping bodies in the prison industrial complex they wouldn't even bother. That would be a big step forward.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Treaties are not eternal. If the UN existed a couple hundred years ago, there would have surely been some treaties based on slavery - undoubtedly, those would have been washed away.

Being that the US contributes more to the UN than any other country, and the fact that these treaties are like a deadbolt keeping honest thieves out, I doubt the retraction due to hemp or marijuana legalization would have a profound effect on anything.

Tru dat trudat
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

are yall still talking about this?

Geez, go bounce the hen or somethin..
Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

Yeah because the US is known for listening to, and abiding by International agreements and mandates. We are beating the drums of war right now with Syria, It has already been stated by this administration that it's no longer a question of should but a question of WHEN. This even though the UN has warned countries not to take action until it is determined WHO used the chemical agents.

In regards to how this applies to cannabis legalization, All it can be viewed as is as a beginning to some much needed discussion on how to most effectively change from the current failed policies, to ones of legalization / decriminalization and regulation.

As far as there being laws both international and in the US banning this. Here's a short handpicked list of some of our nations current more stupid laws STILL in affect. (in other words just because its on the books does not mean its a good / enforceable law)

1. In Oklahoma, you can be arrested for making ugly faces at a dog.
2. In Salt Lake County, Utah, it’s illegal to walk down the street carrying a violin in a paper bag.
3. In San Francisco, it’s illegal to pile horse manure more than six feet high on a street corner.
4. In Devon, Texas, it is against the law to make furniture while you are nude.
5. In Bozeman, Montana, a law prohibits all sexual activity from the front yard of a home after sundown.
6. In California it is illegal for a vehicle without a driver to exceed 60 miles per hour. (that would be one clever trick)
7. In Florida men seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown can be fined.
8. In South Carolina it is legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.
9. In Tennessee, you are breaking the law if you drive while sleeping.
10. In New York, the penalty for jumping off a building is: Death.
11. In Danville, Pennsylvania, all fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires.
12. In Connersville, Wisconsin, during sexual intercourse, it is against the law for a man to fire his gun whilst the woman in having an orgasm.
13. In Pennsylvania, it’s against the law to tie a dollar bill on a string on the ground and pull it away when someone tries to pick it up.
14. In New York City, it’s illegal for a restaurant to call a sandwich a “corned beef sandwich” if it’s made with white bread and mayonnaise.
15. In San Francisco, California it is unlawful to use used underwear to wipe off cars in a car wash.
16. In France, it is against the law to sell an “E.T” doll. They have a law forbidding the sale of dolls that do not have human faces.
17. In Louisiana, biting someone with your natural teeth is considered “simple assault,” but biting someone with your dentures is “aggravated assault.”
18. In the state of Washington, it is illegal to have sex with a virgin under any circumstances. (Including the wedding night.)
19. In Switzerland, it is illegal for a man to relieve himself while standing up after 10pm.
20. In Florida, it is illegal to fart in a public place after 6 P.M. on Thursdays.
21. In Massachusetts, it is illegal to go to bed without first having a bath. (However, another law prohibits bathing on Sunday)
22. In Jidda, Saudi Arabia, women were banned from using hotel swimming pools in 1979.
23. In Samoa, it’s a crime to forget your own wife’s birthday.
24. In Alabama, prison guards are forbidden from referring to their spouses as “the old ball-n-chain.”
25. In London, England it is illegal for a City cab to carry rabid dogs or corpses.
26. In England, it is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
27. In England, it is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the Queen upside down.
28. In Los Angeles, CA it’s illegal for a waiter to tell a customer “I’m really an actor.”
29. In Indiana, it’s against the law to dress ‘Barbie’ in ‘Ken’s’ clothes.
30. In Sedona, Ariz., it’s illegal to lie about your astrological sign.
31. In Texas, it’s illegal to threaten somebody with an UNLOADED gun.
32. In Australia, it’s illegal to name any animal you plan to eat.
33. In Cannes, France, it’s illegal to wear a Jerry Lewis mask.
34. In New Jersey, answering a traffic cop who asks “Do you know why I pulled you over?” by saying,“If you don’t know, I’m not going to tell you” is an automatic $300 fine.
35. In York (England), it is legal to kill a Scotsman within the ancient city boundary, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
are yall still talking about this?

Geez, go bounce the hen or somethin..
It's almost dead. He is running out of stuff for us to debunk.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
It's almost dead. He is running out of stuff for us to debunk.

DUDE!!!!

why you gotta egg him on... Now he's going to have the moral fuel to go another 200 responses..