SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213
Default Man Camps

Does anybody know what all these man camps are going to be used for AFTER the economic boom is over with in Southwest Louisiana? I'm afraid that they will be turned into more section 8 housing, which we have already been overwhelmed with in Sulphur in the last few years.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Removed and hauled to another site. They are modular.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

I hope they allow it. It will keep many of the construction workers from infiltrating the neighborhoods and communities. And it is also easier to request increased police attention in specified areas rather than trying for a whole region.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:21 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 946

So if you are a construction worker we are some how labeled a undesirable neighbor that will need a police presence? What is the definition of a construction worker? I'm a API inspector that has been traveling for 17 years, I work around construction and turnarounds in refineries and chemical plants all over this country, Canada and oversees, I have stayed in these so called Man Camps, let me tell you, these camps are very well ran. Very nice rooms, recreation areas, gyms, dining hall, etc...The construction worker who stays in these camps have families just like you and me, they are hard working, tax paying individuals, in most cases pay a whole lot more taxes than some folks make in a year. These are good paying jobs. I understand some don't want them near their communities, but please, lets stop labeling the construction worker as if he is a criminal because he travels for a living.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglaketiger View Post
So if you are a construction worker we are some how labeled a undesirable neighbor that will need a police presence? What is the definition of a construction worker? I'm a API inspector that has been traveling for 17 years, I work around construction and turnarounds in refineries and chemical plants all over this country, Canada and oversees, I have stayed in these so called Man Camps, let me tell you, these camps are very well ran. Very nice rooms, recreation areas, gyms, dining hall, etc...The construction worker who stays in these camps have families just like you and me, they are hard working, tax paying individuals, in most cases pay a whole lot more taxes than some folks make in a year. These are good paying jobs. I understand some don't want them near their communities, but please, lets stop labeling the construction worker as if he is a criminal because he travels for a living.
Hey bub, don't get your feelings hurt. I'm in the construction field, been on mega-commercial projects as well as mega industrial. And I've worked along side laborers all the way up to VPs. I'm not talking about the career construction professional that makes a honest and fair living. I'm talking about the transient/gypsy "hand" that drink like fish as soon as they get off, fight like teenagers in the 5th wheel trailer park, and the ones that wont think twice about snagging your radio out your car bc they just got laid off and need a few bucks to get to the next gig. I just got off a 27 month $500+ million LC project, there were some characters that came here to say the least. I can only imagine what is to come.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Trophy Trout

Default feelings not hurt..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
Hey bub, don't get your feelings hurt. I'm in the construction field, been on mega-commercial projects as well as mega industrial. And I've worked along side laborers all the way up to VPs. I'm not talking about the career construction professional that makes a honest and fair living. I'm talking about the transient/gypsy "hand" that drink like fish as soon as they get off, fight like teenagers in the 5th wheel trailer park, and the ones that wont think twice about snagging your radio out your car bc they just got laid off and need a few bucks to get to the next gig. I just got off a 27 month $500+ million LC project, there were some characters that came here to say the least. I can only imagine what is to come.
Well glad you cleared that up, your original post sounded as if the entire construction field was grouped.... I'm Just tired of all negativity I hear on a local level bout construction workers as a whole and how bad Man Camps are, good and bad on all levels. We construction hands get stereo-typed into a group of undesirables everywhere I go.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Man Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglaketiger View Post
Well glad you cleared that up, your original post sounded as if the entire construction field was grouped.... I'm Just tired of all negativity I hear on a local level bout construction workers as a whole and how bad Man Camps are, good and bad on all levels. We construction hands get stereo-typed into a group of undesirables everywhere I go.
Biglaketiger, you have a very specific set of skills and qualifications for your job and you worked very hard to obtain and retain those certifications. You represent a very small % of the workers we will see. You have to admit the man camps will be a little on the rough side, especially in the beginning phases when more non-skilled workers will be present.
Do we have a better option? I don't think so.
Is the expansion good for the community? Yes
We need to be realistic about what to expect and prepare for.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Trophy Trout

Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Biglaketiger, you have a very specific set of skills and qualifications for your job and you worked very hard to obtain and retain those certifications. You represent a very small % of the workers we will see. You have to admit the man camps will be a little on the rough side, especially in the beginning phases when more non-skilled workers will be present.
Do we have a better option? I don't think so.
Is the expansion good for the community? Yes
We need to be realistic about what to expect and prepare for.
Yeah you right, I forget I deal with the more latter stages of construction and not the grass roots portion of it, so I don't deal with the non-skilled labor hands, I'm sure there will be both good and bad, hopefully more good, and I sure wouldn't want it next to my Big Lake Community, I retract my statement earlier, didn't think about the beginning grass roots phase of it
Old 04-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,388

FOTB049.jpg
The one by my house sure doesn't look modular ! I bet it will be section 8 housing after the workers leave.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

Yep most of these are going to be section 8 honey holes after its all said and done
Old 04-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
Attachment 85510
The one by my house sure doesn't look modular ! I bet it will be section 8 housing after the workers leave.
I hope you are wrong.... but I have a bad feeling you are right. If you are right, that's all Sulphur will be within the next 10 years. Look at what we have already with Renoir Acres, Peppermill, Frenchmans Creek, The one out by Bebops, The one on 27 south of town that's under construction. That's all section 8 housing that's been built in Sulphur within the last few years. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?? If they turn all the proposed man camps into section 8 after the boom that will be the end of Sulphur as we know it. Heck its probably already the end of Sulphur even without the man camps
Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Just like lake Charles in the mid 80's last one out turn out the lights!! Halaborton just shout an "iron horse" came down road. And they trying trying to figure out what to do with it now. And they spent mega$$$ I know cause did some of the dirt work. Was open two months and closed!!
Old 04-09-2015, 08:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

With every plus there is a minus. This area and most of the people are happy to see this expansion. There will be some bad apples that do come along. Our population will grow and I hope to see our government controled agencies such as the police force and fire fighters grow at a similar rate. I am not saying criminals are coming in by buses. But with growth there will be prosperity, crime, good and bad.

The man camps are a very good idea for the SWLA area as we are not prepared to see 3000+ workers come in. Don't forget about traffic and infrastructure. Man camps provide buses and cause less stress than everyone taking a car.

But there needs to be a mix of thru rooftop growth that will sustain beyond the boom. And modular that can be taken down and not harmful to the economics and environment.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Looks like they stopped the man camp on hwy 27 just south of Dequincy, either they had some crazy redbones get fired up and threaten to come unglued on the landowner or it was just a little too close to Tony Palaremos ranch, either way the logistics company abruptly pulled the rezoning request from CPPJ citing "residents concerns"