SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124
Default 2-4-d

I have seen yall mention this several times including the chicken post. What is it?? Weed killer?? Can it be used like roundup around trees and garden boxes and such or is it total kill? Where do ya get it is it cheaper than round up???Curious Cappys still in the stone age wanna know.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I have seen yall mention this several times including the chicken post. What is it?? Weed killer?? Can it be used like roundup around trees and garden boxes and such or is it total kill? Where do ya get it is it cheaper than round up???Curious Cappys still in the stone age wanna know.
Weed killer yes; I think it contains the same ingredients as roundup but a higher concentration.

You can find the largest volume and best price at a feed store.

Works great and much cheaper than buying roundup.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Red Snapper

Can it be sprayed around a planter box or around a tree like round up. round upn kells leaves and such but ya can spray it around the base of say a pecan tree or around ya garden patch and it dont hurt em. I use round up in a lil trail under the fence what ever the neighbor uses he has a 2 ft wide dead zone by his fence.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I spray it on my fence line and it kills everything..... I wouldn't spray it near my garden without asking someone from the feedstore who knows or your local county agent.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

2-4d is a selective broad leaf herbicide. If mixed correctly it will kill broad leaf weeds but not intended to harm pasture grass.
I wouldn't spray it around ornamental plants because almost all fall into the Brad leaf category. 2-4d can also be funny if you are having a temprature inversion at the time. It can float off and get to the plants you don't intend to kill.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 561

2,4D is different than roundup. 24D is a broadleaf weed killer and roundup is non selective.You can spray clover and other broadleaf weeds that grow in your lawn and it will not kill the grass , only the weed. People mix 24D with roundup to kill everything.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Red Snapper

Hmmmmm will definately need further study then. We have our garden boxes raised beds by spraying round up around them it makes mowing easy eliminates weed eating an d helps stop weeds in the garden. but it dont get much broader leafed than okra or cucs. Id have to be careful. But since money is so tight right now it may be worth the gamble.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:57 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Hmmmmm will definately need further study then. We have our garden boxes raised beds by spraying round up around them it makes mowing easy eliminates weed eating an d helps stop weeds in the garden. but it dont get much broader leafed than okra or cucs. Id have to be careful. But since money is so tight right now it may be worth the gamble.

You will kill your okra and cucs. 2-4D loves to drift and will creep on you. My moms flower beds can attest to that. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2015, 01:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I prefer Round-Up. The unintended consequences of 2,4-D are less to my liking.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Di...oxyacetic_acid
Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Poast is a weed and grass killer that is supposed to be garden plant safe. I haven't tried it but a guy I know said he uses it and it works great.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnation View Post
People mix 24D with roundup to kill everything.
This combo really works well. and yes it will kill just about anything; I mix a little dawn with it also. I wouldn't use it near any gardens or flower beds.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Round-up is more effective in the fall, especially on trees and shrubs. Sometimes you need to hit trees and shrubs again if they start to come back.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Veering a little off the topic here, but I remember using a product called Spike near our warehouse fence line. Took about 5 years before grass started growing there again. It was a "soil neutralizer" if I recall. Not sure if it's still available-but definately not made for the garden.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
Veering a little off the topic here, but I remember using a product called Spike near our warehouse fence line. Took about 5 years before grass started growing there again. It was a "soil neutralizer" if I recall. Not sure if it's still available-but definately not made for the garden.
WOW. I'm gona have to look for that. I may do the whole damn yard if I find it. I despise mowing. I would concrete it if I could afford it.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 767

Broadleaf, woody stem killer. Great for tallow trees. What ever you do, don't spray this around your trees you want to keep, like oaks and pecans. If you do,,,,,They gone!
Old 09-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Red Snapper

I knew a guy lived in Morgan city concreted his whole yard and painted it green had a few potted plants in the back but that was it. Took him several years to do the whole thing but he did it 1 load at a time till he had the whole thing done.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
WOW. I'm gona have to look for that. I may do the whole damn yard if I find it. I despise mowing. I would concrete it if I could afford it.
To follow up on Spike, understand that anytime grass doesn't grow for a few years, you could experience soil erosion-depending on your terrain.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
To follow up on Spike, understand that anytime grass doesn't grow for a few years, you could experience soil erosion-depending on your terrain.

True my wife always wants me to cut the ditch bank down to the mud and spray round-up 2-4-D. I told her that everytime it rains some of our yard is going into the ditch.

We do plan on installing culverts soon.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

2-4-D is a salt based herbicide and can kill large trees too. As stated, it drifts. You can kill the neighbors vegetation too. Never spray with any wind. Round up is a surfactant (basically soap) that breaks down the waxy coating on plants so the active enzyme can stop the production of chlorophyll. Roundup extended control is the best choice. Only spray it when it is above 70 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk