SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542
Default Finally producing

Aside from a few peppers and a handful of lettuce here and there, I made my first little harvest today. Everything is loaded down just waiting to get ripe enough to pick. There were several cherry tomatoes that were picked too, but little man got to them before I got the pic.

image.jpg
Old 05-15-2016, 08:08 PM
Ling

Even the fig tree has a few figs coming out.

image.jpg
Old 05-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I had some tomato's coming in till the last cool spell shut them down...Starting again...Picked and cooked on the bbq pit my first squash today....Hope all this rain they giving this week don't destroy everything...
Old 05-15-2016, 09:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Picked our first little tomato today....my squash keeps rotting before I can pick em
Old 05-15-2016, 11:09 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I have picked 5 yellow squash and now have my first Zucchini starting to grow.

Have a few very small Tomatoes and lots of cumber flowers with a couple very small one growing.

Bell peppers are just starting to grow and I picked enough green beans to have for supper tonight. Last springs Jalapeno plant survived the winter and is loaded down with peppers.

Lettuce and radishes should be ready to pick by the time the cumbers are ready. I love a good fresh salad.

Tip on freezing Jalapeno peppers.

I put up a couple of baggies last summer. The peppers that I cut in half and cleaned did fine and I just used the last ones. I froze a few whole and they were very soft when I tried to use them.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Ling

2nd round today! I'm really liking this square foot gardening. It's way more productive than pots.

image.jpg
Old 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Looks good Matt.
Man I have never had luck with a fig tree. Have planted several and they seem fine at first but end up dying. I never have luck with fruit trees.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Looks good Matt.
Man I have never had luck with a fig tree. Have planted several and they seem fine at first but end up dying. I never have luck with fruit trees.
Thanks!

I just pulled up my 2 orange trees a few weeks back because they never grew or produced. I'm hoping it's a different story with the fig tree. They cut down my great grandpa's fig tree next door, so I haven't had fresh figs in a while.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 645

Hey simple peddler, your squash are likely rotting due to calcium deficiency. You can add lime in your local home improvement store and might find a calcium spray at a feed and seed store like Chastant's here in Lafayette.
For everyone, the best thing I ever did was to send a soil sample in to LSU Ag center and follow their recommendations for what to add to your soil. When your soil is right for the specific plant you are growing, it is Ike magic!

Good harvesting!
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Thanks!

I just pulled up my 2 orange trees a few weeks back because they never grew or produced. I'm hoping it's a different story with the fig tree. They cut down my great grandpa's fig tree next door, so I haven't had fresh figs in a while.
My satsuma is the only fruit tree that is doing good. I need more. I only have one. I had three and two goats. Now I have one and zero goats. Goat meat tastes good btw. Eat my trees I eat you. Pretty simple.lol
Old 05-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 778
Default NEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
picked our first little tomato today....my squash keeps rotting before i can pick em

to add calcium or Add gypsum btw it's cheep

the gypsum( you can't put to much either) it won't hurt the plant the plant will only use what it needs........ helps with the calcium absorption
it can affect tomato's also..

its called end rot on the plant
Old 05-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Redfish

Cash: 778
Default prolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Thanks!

was root bound..
have to plant them a lil higher
and cut the root ball 3-4 x with a shovel before you stick it back in the ground
Old 05-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I just pulled my squash and zucchini. They too were looking like bottom end rot. Upon a close inspection I found cutworms in the main stalks at ground level. They ate all of the inside of the stalks. All the rains have gotten the best of 20 tomato plants. I am now down to 4. I have a feeling this rain tonight might get the rest. My peppers are loaded with peppers and blooms. The okra will be large enough in a day or 2 to pick. My first planting of green beans are finished. I ended up with 2.5 gallons. The pole beans are just starting to give enough beans for a meal every other day. Cucumbers are about 3 inches long and in a week I will have more than I can eat. All my corn has small ears and that won't be long. I just planted 50 feet of purple hulls to replace the tomatoes, squash, and green beans. The lettuce is doing great and I will have enough for salad a couple times a week soon. My citrus trees did not start producing well until they were 6 years old. Now they are 20 years old and I get tons of fruit. I use to trim a few branches a year on them to produce a thicker tree and to stimulate growth. When you trim them that area won't produce the next year. So be sure to only trim a few branches a year. Two years ago I trimmed my trees heavily and it did not have much fruit last year but this year my tree is loaded. I have an orange tree that did not produce an orange until this year. That tree is 5 years old. It has about 10 oranges on it. Last year I trimmed half the branches on it. This year it almost doubled in size. Were your orange trees in full sun? I also keep mulch 6 inches deep around my fruit trees all the way to the drip line. I never water or fertilize them and they produce the best fruit.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironworker View Post
to add calcium or Add gypsum btw it's cheep

the gypsum( you can't put to much either) it won't hurt the plant the plant will only use what it needs........ helps with the calcium absorption
it can affect tomato's also..

its called end rot on the plant

Thanks man!
Old 05-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Ling

it's just me an the bride now........how many plants of each do you guys plant?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Tripletail

I plant a dozen of each veg ex: Cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, yellow and zucchini I do 4 each and with snap beans I do about 50 feet of pole and 20 to 30ft of bush. I stagger the beans in 3 plantings 2 weeks apart so I am not over whelmed picking them. I plant purple hull peas in place of the bush beans once they quit producing. What I don't eat fresh I vacuum pack and freeze or can and pickle the extra cucumbers. Corn I do 4 10 ft rows spaced at 6in so that is around 80. The corn I blanch the vacuum pack. I have about 3 rows of okra about 10ft long. With okra I smother it down and freeze and also pickle them too. Herbs I do 3 plants each. I give some away to neighbors and family members once I have enough put up for the year.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

If you like pickling try some bell pepper...I add a touch of liquid crab boil for a kick...I keep them in the fridge to keep them nice n green and on the crunchy side...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160520_063145.jpg (53.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 05-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Tripletail

If i have any extras i sure will. I bet its good with red bells

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk