SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg one View Post
those power clucks up to ultra high pitch range are exactly what breaks geese others don't even call at

Hunter is an advanced speck caller(although he would not label himself as such),big man,lots of fuel to push that Riceland.

endurance on the call comes from reps,then air control necessary to run long cluck strings at various pitches,then a call that can handle the push needed to produce that sound

most callers run somewhere in the middle,so an easy blowing tight range call fits them,but when you start to run the extremes,that is when a call that is customized to you is really needed

my calls would be thought of as trash to most callers,but they are customized to me

Hunter was telling me we needed to go to Bill's and let him fit me one. Probably should hold off on buying another random call until then I suppose?

And yes I never dreamed that someone would call at geese that far away. But after chasing a cripple a few fields over I could still clear as day hear that high pitch squeal.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatte8 View Post
10-4 - I misunderstood.
You're right, the redbone is in a category of it's own when it comes to range.
I have ran the exciter both in Lafayette at the Cajun dome expo and at the speck HQ booth in Jones at that megabucks function

I could produce all the same note shapes I do on my calls,they are just super light for me----however----I run harder then the majority----like 99 %

Thus the comment about efficiency---the average caller should have no trouble stringing notes together on both the exciter or havoc call

In my opinion,the majority of call buyers could care less about comp wins or comp routines anyway,most are hunters that want something that allows them to achieve something realistic that they develop some kind of confidence in
Old 09-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Hunter was telling me we needed to go to Bill's and let him fit me one. Probably should hold off on buying another random call until then I suppose?

And yes I never dreamed that someone would call at geese that far away. But after chasing a cripple a few fields over I could still clear as day hear that high pitch squeal.

if you are at the point where you feel limited by the call,then yes I would say wait until you can be fitted

probably what Hunter would advise too

Hunter is pulling trafficking specks into a place that they don't want to be 90 percent of the time,thus the need for his calling on the extremes---glad you got to see that,most people don't believe that until they actually see it done
Old 09-15-2016, 03:07 PM
Flounder

Cash: 863

If you can do crisp triple note yodel, you can kill specks everyday in my opinion, no matter what call you have, once you get one bird out the group to start doing that triple note back to you its over last year i would only double cluck when they were way off or high. I swear every field seems to have guys who can call awesome now a days
Old 09-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterr77 View Post
If you can do crisp triple note yodel, you can kill specks everyday in my opinion, no matter what call you have, once you get one bird out the group to start doing that triple note back to you its over last year i would only double cluck when they were way off or high. I swear every field seems to have guys who can call awesome now a days
I agree,if you can get a conversation going with a bird, even one in a group,you are in good shape,regardless of what call brand you run

and yes,the level of calling in our area of sw Louisiana has improved substantially
Old 09-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

the calling and the wanna be callers. Takes a good caller to kill specks day in and day out. People call it luck but knowing how to call at a bird isn't luck that knowledge and hard lessons learned
Old 09-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Redfish

Cash: 794

No one calls well enough to kill specks everyday. Some days it just doesn't happen.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

I personally think that if you can call above average, and there is a select group of callers in the section of the world that can, AND, you have the right conditions and a good flyway, then yes, I do believe a man can kill a limit of specks everyday in SW LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee View Post
No one calls well enough to kill specks everyday. Some days it just doesn't happen.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdriver View Post
I personally think that if you can call above average, and there is a select group of callers in the section of the world that can, AND, you have the right conditions and a good flyway, then yes, I do believe a man can kill a limit of specks everyday in SW LA.

There are a few who can and do

But as stated,you must have some kind of flight,and other variables lining up,----field prep,concealment,decoys

But the few elite callers who pull this off are very few and far between--you got to have a mighty large bag of tricks to throw at them
Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Trophy Trout

LAst year when I would read you struggled for birds Mr. John I may or may not have did a silent thank god bc I was struggling, If your struggling the birds just aren't working right or not there! lol
Old 09-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
LAst year when I would read you struggled for birds Mr. John I may or may not have did a silent thank god bc I was struggling, If your struggling the birds just aren't working right or not there! lol

Man they are getting tougher each year

the pressure around is unreal,as stated earlier,the level of calling has improved in every field it seems

but it is what it is,we deal with the cards dealt and keep after them
Old 09-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Trophy Trout

yessir I agree completely. I had some great hunts and some humbling hunts. Just the way it goes.

Just keeping after them.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 1,087

I know guys that are very average callers and kill limits every day. I also know very good (competition) callers that don't kill very many limits at all. I think it's got way more to do with where you are than it does how well you can call.

There's much to be said about guys that actually know how to read and work birds too. there's a big difference between being able to run a call at a high level and being able to put birds on the strap.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

Quote:
I know guys that are very average callers and kill limits every day. I also know very good (competition) callers that don't kill very many limits at all. I think it's got way more to do with where you are than it does how well you can call.

There's much to be said about guys that actually know how to read and work birds too. there's a big difference between being able to run a call at a high level and being able to put birds on the strap.

No doubt! I agree 110% I also know guys that are terrible at calling, but can read birds and seem to just "know" what to do and when. It amazes me every time. All this talk about specks is getting me excited to talk to some bellies!!

Uka-uk!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Whether we agree on any of these matters or not we all have the same thing on our mind, colder weather, whiskey drinks, and bellies following from the sky!
Live by the yodel, die by the cluck!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I'm ready to hear that ground thump baw!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1474291899588.jpg (5.6 KB, 96 views)
Old 09-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:

You nailed it I agree, gotta read em right.
I will use the "trophy" hunting anology that commonly takes place at bars.
IMO competent calling gets you in the door, but knowing what to say and when will greatly increase you odds of leaving with company.

You can choose your targets wisely with a planned out approach or you can yell at every prospect within earshot and hope for the best. Otherwise known as the "Refuge Approach".
Old 09-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Flounder

silence is the best note shape at times
Old 09-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by redleg one View Post
silence is the best note shape at times
silence is my secret weapon... Get them fired up then cut off communication, it really pisses them off sometimes and makes them get stupid and come right over the decoys trying to figure out way they can't hear anything.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

like ole Buck Gardner says, "always call at wing tips and tale feathers".