SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074
Default Boiled Boston Butt in Seafood Boil By a Newbie

Hello, I just came over from the Pensacola Fishing Forum to nose around abit and decided to join since I grew up as a Westbanker. I had camp access First in Bay Adams, then a place formally known as Lake Judge Perez, and then Happy Jack Canal. I have been living over Pensacola way since 1995.

So ~~~~ since I am a Newbie of this great open forum ~~~~ I feel I must start off right by contributing this way of cooking a Butt:

Last year we played around with various items to add to a crawfish boil. When we would boil three or more pots, we added a Boston Butt. And moved it from pot to pot until the end and then ate it. Man was that good.

Then we had the PFF crawfish boil at Nextsteps house. We had a few pots and three sacks, so the Butt would not be cooked long enough with the crawfish to render it finished.

And I wanted my new way of cooking a Boston Butt for this event!!!

So I boiled it by itself. It was a hit. Since then I have boiled many, most every weekend. I have even cooked a pork shoulder roast this way.

It is sooo easy. Cover the Boston Butt, or Shoulder Roast in water. Add seafood boil to taste. A little at first, and then more as the pot matures

Turn on the fire. I let it cook so it is just barely rolling. The seafood boil will soak in, and I add some more to taste. I cook it for 3 - 5 hours. A Boston Butt will actually eject the bone from within. That is when it is done. Same for the Shoulder Roast.

Last time I did a shoulder, I forgot about it. It cooked for 7 hours. It was still awesome.

So on a Saturday morning, I put it to cook on my garage oven hooked to a propane bottle, get it rolling, and add a little Seafood Boil Seasoning. Then I cut the grass, perform yard work, take a swim, and everytime I pass the pot, take look at it and maybe prinkle a little more seasoning. It is always cooked for at least 3 hours, 4 is better

My wife, my kids, my relatives and everyone else that has eaten mine, or cooked there own this way has praised the taste.

And it so mech easier, very much easier than trying to smoke one

Try it, I guarantee you will love it also.
BT

[SIZE=1][SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[/SIZE]
Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Happy to have you on board and thanks for the recipe!! I will definitely give it a try soon.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

welcome Tom!..spread the word to the other cajun exiles over there at PFF.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

That sounds good.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default Boiled butt

I boil seafood but i'll do my pork on the smoker.
have boiled a canned ham w/ my crawfish and it was great.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 647

Welcome to the forum. I'm an Empire rat as well. I rarely fished Adams. We had a camp on Bayou Cook 1970-1997 and I still fish there and Bay Bastian all I can. You went East and I went west to Texas. Do you remember when Dymond Island was a place to go?

As far as boilin' meat, boil it, then smoke it. Best of both worlds all in one package. - Sandy
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachlaw View Post
We had a camp on Bayou Cook 1970-1997 and I still fish there and Bay Bastian all I can. You went East and I went west to Texas. Do you remember when Dymond Island was a place to go?
I do remember Dymond Island and the sea planes that landed there, bringing fishermen. And of Course Bayou Cook where "Party Town" was located. There was a huge shell pile at the mounth of Bayou Cook at Bay Adams, great fishing there. And Bay Bastian was also a great place, the mouth at the Gulf really produced. I can not remember the name of that area, at this time, but it was at the mouth of Grand Bayou, Bay Bastian and the Gulf.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Tripletail

It was called Grand Bayou Pass. It's all closed up now. I guess it was about 6 or 7 years ago, it just closed up on its own. Shell Island is still there, but it's all washed out on the East end. We had the last camp on the left as you exited Bayou Cook into Bay Bastian. I'm not familiar with the term, "Party Town", but I wonder if our camp was part of that. My great grandfather Peter Rozich was an oysterman there and he had a camp on Bayou Cook until his death in 1955. My dad spent a lot of time out there visiting "The Old Man". Got a lot of great stories from dad there. My great grandmother, Pavli was born in a camp on Bayou LaChute. Our camp is now nothing but pilings in open water. The marsh is going, going, almost gone.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

brisket boiled as above in BT's post, then cut up, put in a crockpot with your favorite sauce for a few more hours is some good eats as well
Old 12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
King Mackeral

how long do you boil the brisket?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

SINCE THE DISCUSSION IS ON BOILING WITH CRAWFISH WATER, WHAT ALL DO YOU ADD TO YOUR BOILS. WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE SAUSAGE, HAM AND WHOLE MUSHROOMS AS WELL AS THE USUAL CORN ON THE COB, POTATOES AND CARROTS. WE CUT THE HAM INTO BIG BITE SIZE CHUNKS, AND THE MUSHROOMS ONLY GO IN FOR A FEW MINUTES. I USUALLY TASTE THEM TILL THERE GONE.... I MEAN DONE!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
King Mackeral

Mushrooms are the absolute best - a lot of people go for the garlic pods as well. The thing that I like to use is cans of whole kernel corn. You punch a hole in both ends and throw it in - the seasoning gets inside the can, and man it is awesome. Pour it in a bowl with some butter and that is good eatin'
Old 12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethetiger55 View Post
Mushrooms are the absolute best - a lot of people go for the garlic pods as well. The thing that I like to use is cans of whole kernel corn. You punch a hole in both ends and throw it in - the seasoning gets inside the can, and man it is awesome. Pour it in a bowl with some butter and that is good eatin'
I think that's the only way I can't eat mushrooms.....boiled! I devour them any other way but just can't eat them boiled.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethetiger55 View Post
how long do you boil the brisket?
it was a friend of mine that had us try it. he boils it 3-4 hrs,depending on the size. then in the crockpot with the bbq sauce for a few more hours. in this case the bbq sauce was made by someone in baton rouge
Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Swordfish

Default Boil

Get ya one of those canned hams and punch a bunch of holes in the can and throw it in the boil. Slice it up for sammies or make a ham salad.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Get ya one of those canned hams and punch a bunch of holes in the can and throw it in the boil. Slice it up for sammies or make a ham salad.
Did that a couple weeks ago. LOL! It wasn't as good as I was hoping, but it was better than the way the ham usually tastes. What else are you going to do with the stuff people bring to the camp and leave there because they don't want to eat it?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Swordfish

Brew They call Me Tater Salad

Boil some eggs and taters w/ your crawfish . Peel the eggs and throw them back in the water after you finish soaking the crawfish to soak up some spice. use the eggs and taters along w/ some crawfish tails and make your favorite tater salad recipe.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Tripletail

I don't understand why anyone would eat a chicken's period. That's what an egg is. YUCK.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Swordfish

Default hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachlaw View Post
I don't understand why anyone would eat a chicken's period. That's what an egg is. YUCK.
Awwwww cmon coach, Ya don't swim the red tide ?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Tripletail

Bump by request