SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > Stories, History, and Tributes

Stories, History, and Tributes Got a story to tell about your childhood, someone you admired, or some interesting history to share? This is the place!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Default Just an Oak Tree

After last nights discussion we had about Government removing God out of everything, It reminded me of a great lesson I was giving a few years back

I was 18 years old at the time

We had been cutting rice on the Koll farm in Pine island for a week and every morning Ms. Koll would come walk over some homemade biscuits for us. Mr. Koll would come talk while we fueled up the tractors and combines.
Mr. and Ms. Koll lived on the farm right next to where we were cutting. Mr. Koll sat outside all day and just enjoyed watching us cut rice and load and haul out.
We wrapped up on a Fri about 9pm that night and one of my buddies had a little left to cut down the road and asked if i could go help him finish up on Sat. Well Friday night was as always going to the bar and drinking to 2am and coming home to pass out on the couch. I woke up Sat morning about 8am hurting and not wanting to move , but got up and headed out to get the combine and go help Craig.
I was sitting on back of my truck under the huge oak tree drinking some water and eating Advil. I saw Mr. Koll walking across with some biscuits in his hand. He came over and wanted to talk ,so I listened to him for a while. He knew my great grand paw James who was a well know preacher in south Louisiana. We got on the subject of religion and God and I guess he noticed i knew a little about it and was not uncomfortable to talk. He said all his years of farming that God was the most important thing that got him and his wife thought the hard times. I guess he assumed that coming from a family long line of preachers that it was meant for me to become a preacher. I laughed and told him, No I do not think that is my call in life. He laughed and said if it is, you will have no choice because God will show you and give it to you. So we talked back and forth for 30 or so minutes and I said to him.
I know God is real but sometimes do you ever wish you could see just one miracle in life to prove he is real?
Mr. Koll said...Young man you want to see a miracle?
I said yes I would like to see one so i know 100%
Mr Koll said well young man I can show you a miracle right now
I said ok show me
Mr. Koll said turn around and look at that oak tree! That is a miracle
I was dumbfounded but said ok how
He said no man can create a tree! This tree was created by God!
I was lost for words and said well we can plant them
Mr. Koll said son you can plant many things but you cannot create them! No man created the 1st Oak tree! No man Created the fist Oak Tree seed, No man Planted the 1st oak tree.

God created it and this is a miracle because no scientist, engineer, or doctor can create a tree! God created this Earth so you are around Miracles everyday! You just have to look around !

That was the best thing I had ever explained to me in my first 18 years of life! Never in all my days of sitting in church or spent with my grand paw had I ever heard it said that away!

Just wanted to tell this story that I hope to pass to my kids one day

Last edited by "W"; 06-22-2011 at 08:10 AM.