SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 09-11-2011, 03:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225
Default Hammering Trout and Potlicking!

Had our limit of specks at 9:30 this morning, then went spot-checking afterwards and boated at least another 30 more by 11:00, then went in. We checked 7 spots today and had a very good bite on 5 of them. All fish caught on She Dogs, Sand Eels, and Sparkle Beetles. The good Lord couldn't have given us a better day to be on the water. The lake was beautiful and it was about the perfect day of speck fishing for us.....well, almost. The day ended great but started out with me about to lose my religion. I pulled up to my first spot just after the sun started to poke its head up, and put 5 specks in the boat in 5 casts. It was on. Then Mr. Potlicker came. There is no way he is a member of the SC family, I know that everyone on here knows better than to do what he did. He wasn't just any old Pilgrim....I would say he qualifies for captain of the Mayflower (hope you don't mind me using your word "W", I think it's hilarious). He came running in and stopped about 200 yards from our boat. He fished a while, not catching anything, then upon seeing us put the smackdown on some trout, he came trolling in...practically on plane and asked us "Are you catching 'em?".....well duhh you just watched us sling 10 trout in the boat of course we are. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind when people come fish next to me if the spot can handle it and we don't get in each other's way, but this was a very, very, very small reef. So captain pilgrim proceeded to troll until he was a HALF CAST AWAY FROM US, then trolled right on top of where we were casting and catching fish!! I was like is this guy serious?? I thought I was on candid camera or something. Well guess what, bite over. I didn't know what to think except to crank up, do donuts around this guy and call him every name I've ever learned. I've never been cut off like that, EVER, in my lifetime of fishing Big Lake. Anyway, amidst my rage and bewilderment, I remembered that today is the Lord's Day. So instead of verbally ravaging this guy and doing donuts around his boat, I figured I would just troll out calmly and leave him there wondering why he wasn't catching fish, and take a picture of him and post it on this site instead If there is a "Beware of Pilgrim/Potlicker" thread to notify the general fishing public of such types of "fishermen", someone let me know and his "beware of pilgrim" picture will be added to save fellow SC fisherman from smoking him with top dogs and getting into trouble in the future.

Old 09-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,470

Nice job and great report!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Nice report, and way to hold it together!! Have had this happen on occasion and I'll let'em have my spot and ask which way they're gonna go next so I don't go that way!! Nice box of fish!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
I'll let'em have my spot and ask which way they're gonna go next so I don't go that way!!
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

nice!! Wheres the picture of the capt mayflower? lol
Old 09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,142

Post it up man!!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Yeah, Id like to see it also.. What kind of boat was it?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Tripletail

Hey...was he by him self in an older kenner and throwing a spinning reel??
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Post it up man!!
Kind of dark, but you know who you are If this is you or someone you know, let them know not to troll right up on reefs that they have no idea are even there and dont troll right on top of where people are currently casting and catching fish. Can't tell by the picture but I could literally cast past this smart one's boat. I forgive you but please learn from your ignorance.....

Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.B View Post
Hey...was he by him self in an older kenner and throwing a spinning reel??
nope, pic is above
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Tripletail

I got on a set of birds friday afternoon that took me 10 min to catch up with (they were cookin) and there he was in my hip pocket....can't be ugly too someone who don't know better...besides guides already have a bad rap, n I don't want to cause any more animosity with us than there already is!!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Trophy Trout

I guess some people really just don't know better....but I'm sorry if you see someone catching fish, doesn't common sense tell you to NOT troll exactly on top of where someone else is catching fish? I may be way off on that one though...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750

Real nice catch for bull sh** you have to deal with while trying to enjoy your day....
Old 09-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFisherman View Post
I guess some people really just don't know better....but I'm sorry if you see someone catching fish, doesn't common sense tell you to NOT troll exactly on top of where someone else is catching fish? I may be way off on that one though...
Naw you hit it right on the head....and some how they need to know what they did was FUBAR. But most of the time when that happens to me im so I gotta keep my mouth shut. They really won't like me, and most of the time my customers say enough!!
Old 09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Nice Catch .
Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 703

Man They have a whole bay and gulf of Mexico to fish n. No need to crowd someone. If you have to fish that spot anchor way away and wait your turn
Old 09-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,167

You think one boat is bad. Catch a fish, any fish, in Grand Isle. 10 boats will pull up on you.
The rest will just pass you on plane like you are not fishing.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolimit View Post
Man They have a whole bay and gulf of Mexico to fish n. No need to crowd someone. If you have to fish that spot anchor way away and wait your turn
If someone wants to fish near me and no one is running on top of the other or the fish, we can both catch fish without messing each other up and I have no problem with that. There aren't many secrets left on Big Lake anyway so I'm not trying to keep anything to myself. Heck, I even hollered at a guy today that had his young son with him and told him to troll in to where I was fishing after I finished my limit. I trolled out and as soon as they moved in, they were all hooked up. It's just the bonehead and ignorant things people do that get me going.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 711

I agree with everything about closing in on you and no that's not me, but some people are clueless as to where all the reefs are. Like me I only know Turners Bay is full of reefs and I know where commissary point is roughly and that's about it. So some of us may not know that we are trolling up on reefs.....BUT HE DIDN'T NEED TO GET THAT CLOSE!!! I had someone do that to me at the jetties saturday. Me a buddy was fishing close to the opening on the west jetti and a nice 21' or better boat w/Merc. 225 on it occupied 3x's just crused right over my line and said sorry. I was like really, you can't drive that big boat a little farther to go around the point. It's not like the water was rough or he couldn't afford the gas. Really pissed me off but I kept me cool.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Man you are a nice guy.........I promise.....I would of rip him a new one....You should of least tell him what he just did....So he dont do it to the next guy!!! Looks like a kid who his dad let use the boat....