SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion > Hunting Reports

Hunting Reports Read and share your hunting reports here!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104
Default Va Veterans Day Hunt

Been a while since I've made a report or even seen a deer while hunting in Virginia so here's my first actual report. Made a 60 mile drive North to Williamsburg and went to Chickahominy WMA. Rolling hills and deep gullies with natural hardwoods. Walked in about 1/4 mile and we realized my buddy Chaz, sliced his thumb open on his hunting knife taking my bag off his shoulder. Walked another 1/4 mile and set the climbing stand down and pulled out the small medical bag that he keeps in his pack, wrapped his thumb up in gauze, medical tape then finally electrical tape for waterproofness (weather forecasted rain). Finally decided I was just gonna hunt where we stopped to wrap his thumb up at and soaked some bloody gauze we used in doe pee and hung it from a tree branch and sprayed cover scent everywhere. There was a soybean field about 100 yards to my south which is why we picked this area. Picked a tree to hunt in and then decided that tree wasn't the best one to be in (which proved to be the wrong move). Moved to a tree about 20 yards down into the gully and sat and waited. Saw and heard a bunch of squirrels but dropped both of my field tip arrows trying to grab them from the quiver. 3 hours pass by and then my eye catches a dark object moving through the woods at about 5 (sunset). I realized it was a doe about 30-35 yards away but I had no shot since it was so thick that high up. I texted Chaz and told him there was a doe moving his way but he never saw her. About 5 minutes later, I see movement to my left, same deer, probably in the 120-130lb range comes walking in eating acorns next to the same tree I picked but moved from. I still can't get a good enough shot or steady because the tree I was in kept swaying. Hoped and prayed that she would turn and walk my way but she never did and simply wondered off. Got down after Chaz walked in and helped me pack up and left wondering if I could have taken the shot or not.

Temps are looking cold here for the next few days and if I'm lucky enough to be able to get out there thursday for an afternoon, camp and hunt friday morning, hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of me with a dead deer.