SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090
Default Selling rules

I want to pose a question because I'm obviously don't get it. If you have something for sale, and you agree to sell it to someone for an agreed upon price, what do you do if someone else walks up in the meantime with more money?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Give the first purchaser the opportunity to get it....Many don't do that though.

During the evil black gun crisis, I had a good many AR's for sale and, had em all spoken for at pre-"crisis" prices. Man, I coulda went back on those folks and, DOUBLED my money but, I opted to take the high road.

That said, my utilities are about to get cut off, can someone loan me some money?! LOL
Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I have always sold it for my original asking price to the person that made the first offer or attempt to buy the item. I have lost a few sells like this but have always sold the item in the end and came out feeling like I was fair to all parties....
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

If you already agreed to sell it to someone for an agreed price you should keep your word and sell it to that person, regardless of the offer to pay a higher price.

I had the same thing happen to me when I was selling a truck. I sold it on Boo Coo and then a guy offered me a couple hundred dollars more. I told him I couldn't sell it to him as I had already given my word to another person that he could have it.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

If you make an offer to buy, you should have the money to buy right then, correct? Whether it's paypal, wire transfer, whatever. It's 2013.

If you don't have the money, it's an intent to buy, not a purchase. Who's to say the buyer will come through?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Redfish

Cash: 801

You man up and honor your commitment. You walk away knowing that you did the right thing and treated someone the way that you would have liked to be treated if the shoe was on the other foot.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
If you make an offer to buy, you should have the money to buy right then, correct? Whether it's paypal, wire transfer, whatever. It's 2013.

If you don't have the money, it's an intent to buy, not a purchase. Who's to say the buyer will come through?
Then why agree to sell it? Maybe tell potential buyer, "I'll sell it to you for that price, but if someone shows up before you with more money, then I'm selling it." Why tell the buyer you will sell it for that price and not actually do it. I'm talking about on the way to bring the boy cash and get a call saying someone showed up with more money. Don't accept the offer if your not ready to honor it. I think sellers need to bite their tongue and not agree to a price if they are not ready to stick to it. This has happened to me twice in the last 2 weeks on 2 seperate items. Hate to say it but one was with a Salty Cajun member.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post

But, if I have to drive from a distance to get there and, am en route, a guy beats me there, does he get it still?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Dey are selling wrong. When I sell something I tell every potential buyer that the first person to show up and pay me gets said item. I don't hold the item for anyone because u, the seller, ends up getting screwed.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:35 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
But, if I have to drive from a distance to get there and, am en route, a guy beats me there, does he get it still?
That depends on what the seller told u. If I was the seller then yes, if someone beat u and paid me then he gets it. But u would know that's the case up front
Old 09-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Then why agree to sell it? Maybe tell potential buyer, "I'll sell it to you for that price, but if someone shows up before you with more money, then I'm selling it." Why tell the buyer you will sell it for that price and not actually do it. I'm talking about on the way to bring the boy cash and get a call saying someone showed up with more money. Don't accept the offer if your not ready to honor it. I think sellers need to bite their tongue and not agree to a price if they are not ready to stick to it. This has happened to me twice in the last 2 weeks on 2 seperate items. Hate to say it but one was with a Salty Cajun member.
This is what I always do. Agree that you'll accept the offer upon seeing the cash. For those who think I'm being harsh, all you have to do is get screwed a few times to change your tune.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

You sell it to whomever gives you the money FIRST regardless if it is the person that offered you more on not.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Yep, he gets it. I wouldn't dare tell you "it's yours" and I would dare advise you whether it's worth it to take a chance and drive out. That's for you to decide.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacotiger View Post
You man up and honor your commitment. You walk away knowing that you did the right thing and treated someone the way that you would have liked to be treated if the shoe was on the other foot.

Exactly...do the right thing....Be a Man of your Words....
Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacotiger View Post
SO what if that person does not end up following thru with his sale and the other person who wanted to buy it (regardless of paying more or not) ends up finding something else because you told him you promised it to someone already??? I had that happen to a buddy of mine and it took him another 6 weeks to sell his 4 wheeler...
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Blue Marlin

Makes notes...
Old 09-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
SO what if that person does not end up following thru with his sale and the other person who wanted to buy it (regardless of paying more or not) ends up finding something else because you told him you promised it to someone already??? I had that happen to a buddy of mine and it took him another 6 weeks to sell his 4 wheeler...
Yep...
Old 09-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Red Snapper

FYI, if someone buys anything from me, here's out it works.

If you make me an offer, and I accept, it's yours for the agreed upon price unless you no show. No matter who shows up with what. Period. If I'm not ready to commit to that, then I won't accept it. Everything else is first one there with the money.

2 weeks ago I was 1/2 way into a 3.5 hour drive to buy a camper talking to the seller on the way when he called to so generously give me the chance to match the offer of the guy that just walked up. I declined. Yesterday I negotiated (jewed) with a guy over a gun until we agreed on a price. It was also out of town. I then asked, via text, for his information so I can have a friend in his town pick it up and bring him cash. I didn't want him to have to hold the gun with no cash from until i could get there. I got no response to phone calls or texts for a few hours after this. Finally he called me to give me the option to beat the price that someone else offered him in the meantime. I declined again. I was under the assumption that, in both cases, when a deal was agreed on and that it was a done deal. If you hit "buy it now" on eBay, and someone emails the seller afterwards offering more, the seller is committed to sell it to you for the "buy it now" price. Same difference right? It's pretty simple. If you do not want to commit to a deal, then don't. Don't put a "buy it now" option out there if you don't want to stick to it. If you want to sell to the first person to show up with cash, then just accept cash offers. Don't accept a verbal offer then take another one.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
FYI, if someone buys anything from me, here's out it works.

If you make me an offer, and I accept, it's yours for the agreed upon price unless you no show. No matter who shows up with what. Period. If I'm not ready to commit to that, then I won't accept it. Everything else is first one there with the money.

2 weeks ago I was 1/2 way into a 3.5 hour drive to buy a camper talking to the seller on the way when he called to so generously give me the chance to match the offer of the guy that just walked up. I declined. Yesterday I negotiated (jewed) with a guy over a gun until we agreed on a price. It was also out of town. I then asked, via text, for his information so I can have a friend in his town pick it up and bring him cash. I didn't want him to have to hold the gun with no cash from until i could get there. I got no response to phone calls or texts for a few hours after this. Finally he called me to give me the option to beat the price that someone else offered him in the meantime. I declined again. I was under the assumption that, in both cases, when a deal was agreed on and that it was a done deal. If you hit "buy it now" on eBay, and someone emails the seller afterwards offering more, the seller is committed to sell it to you for the "buy it now" price. Same difference right? It's pretty simple. If you do not want to commit to a deal, then don't. Don't put a "buy it now" option out there if you don't want to stick to it. If you want to sell to the first person to show up with cash, then just accept cash offers. Don't accept a verbal offer then take another one.
Well Said....Natural Light Kid....I think you are right on point....stick to your agreement both Buyer and seller...do not flip-flop like a fish....
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 739

Since this Facebook group selling craze got started I have been hearing more and more of this kind of thing. One problem we have today is some men do not stand behind there words. It comes down to good communication these days which many people do not have any more because of the impersonal way we communicate these days. I have rarely had a deal go bad when I shake a mans hand and agree upon a price. It appears that people don't consider what they text as strong as a face to face agreement. We all need to be careful of this and careful of who and where we go to meet. I sold a gun just minutes ago on Facebook, the buyer was offshore on a ship. His solution was to pay me via the Internet and pick the gun up in a few weeks. He has complete faith in me. He doesn't know me at all but in his words there are more good people then bad, we just hear about the bad much more often.

Ok I am getting off my soap box!!!