SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
About the only time Id pull the trigger on someone running away is you would have to be in my house running down the hallway to my sons/daughters room, then Im going to blast ya
And even then, a slick prosecuter could nail you for murder. Point is, you may have to prove his intended destination was your children's bedroom, and not simply trying to flee. The prosecution can make a jury believe that the intruder was retreating and you chose to kill him anyway. All is not cut and dry when shooting an intruder in your home. Get him to turn around..then blast away.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
an intruder in your home. .
theres the key element, hes was in my home, I was in fear for my childrens safety
Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,020

He was approached because he had an outstanding arrest warrant and identified by the cop.
BUT - have you all lost your mind? No one has the right to shoot someone unless they feel their life or the life of someone else is in danger - period. This cop is the REASON why people run from cops, especially black people. If this guy is white, I don't think the cop shoots him. He is way above the law and outright murdered this kid.
There is no justification or "don't run and live" explanation here. Don't run and you won't get arrested if you've done nothing wrong, but apparently he was wanted but that is not a capital offense.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

When I was in high school we got caught whipping donuts in a field. Cop asked if I had any weapons and I hand him my knife. Looking at it now, that was pretty stupid because "what if" I was a threat? He should have shot me by some of y'all reasoning. Anyways, after I handed him my knife, one of the guys that I was with decides to take off running. I panicked and took off as well. Mind you I was an honors student who had never had a run in with the law prior to that, and my family was friends with several people in law enforcement. In short, I respected cops and was taught to always obey an order from an officer. In that one moment, I panicked and all of that preaching went out the window. I didn't make it a few steps before I was caught. I'm glad that cop wasn't allowed to be judge, jury, and executioner just because I MAY HAVE been doing something dangerous......

Then W calls anyone who thinks it an absurd idea that a cop has the right to execute people for running from a cop (a misdemeanor offence RS 14:108.1), a liberal.......... So you think one low level government employee should have that much power? That's mighty liberal of you. Conservatives believe in small limited government with checks and balances, but to H E L L with facts, right? Another liberal trait I may add.

There are justifiable reasons to shoot a person in the back. That person would have to be armed though. One could argue the fact that the armed person was not fleeing, but positioning themselves to reengage. Justifiable reasons for shooting an unarmed person in the back? Snatching my kid and running. That would be the only one I could see. There is another case in Lafayette where someone witnessed a person in their house from across the street, walked over, and shot the person while they were fleeing their house. They were arrested and charged with the homicide. This officer is going to spend a while in prison for his mistake, and rightfully so.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
the cop had no cause at all to shoot the guy but I cant see what that thing is that went flying onto the ground as they separated, did the guy slap a taser out of the officers hand at the beginning of the video? or maybe the cop knocked a gun from out of that guys hand?

either way its still unjustified force used.
And you know this how? Because a man was shot in the back as he was fleeing law enforcement?

How do you know he was fleeing and not gaining ground for an offensive attack?

How do you know he didn't tell the officer "I'm about to run back to my car and get my gun"?

Be careful not to confuse your opinion with the actual judgment.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
He was approached because he had an outstanding arrest warrant and identified by the cop.
BUT - have you all lost your mind? No one has the right to shoot someone unless they feel their life or the life of someone else is in danger - period. This cop is the REASON why people run from cops, especially black people. If this guy is white, I don't think the cop shoots him. He is way above the law and outright murdered this kid.
There is no justification or "don't run and live" explanation here. Don't run and you won't get arrested if you've done nothing wrong, but apparently he was wanted but that is not a capital offense.
One of the only good things about Texas is the castle doctrine. it's a lot tougher in Louisiana like you described above.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:56 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
When I was in high school we got caught whipping donuts in a field.
W T F ??? hell I got caught with a strawberry cooler and I thought I was BAD.......... you were throwing DONUTS............. oh wait it was a COP that busted you for throwing PERFECTLY EATABLE DONUTS
Old 04-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Ling

Quote:
W T F ??? hell I got caught with a strawberry cooler and I thought I was BAD.......... you were throwing DONUTS............. oh wait it was a COP that busted you for throwing PERFECTLY EATABLE DONUTS

Whipping donuts.... Cutting ruts.... Mud riding.... What do y'all call it up north?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I had a punk not so many months ago robbed a home a few blocks away and ran and hid or thought he hid between my truck and garage door...The deputy saw him and when he knew he was spotted jumped my fence and was on side my house when the deputy had him and was trying to tase him and he got away...Now he's in my back yard and out running the deputy and they come knocking on my door at 2 am waking me up to unlock my gate so they can see if he dropped anything in my yard. The deputy says he don't know how I didn't hear him yelling at this guy to stop and while he had him on the ground on side my house....Well he was on the side my house that was separated by the garage....I assured him if I would have heard a commotion in my yard I would have come out with gun ready to fire....What that officer done was what he felt he had to do in the moment....I wasn't there.....I think it must be a hell of a lot of pressure on law enforcement these days and maybe some just collapse under the pressure.....Bottom line when officer says stop...STOP....
Old 04-08-2015, 04:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
....What that officer done was what he felt he had to do in the moment....I wasn't there.....I think it must be a hell of a lot of pressure on law enforcement these days and maybe some just collapse under the pressure.....Bottom line when officer says stop...STOP....
This officer was thoroughly trained to be in EXACTLY this situation with a firearm! It's not like somebody who has a gun but has never taken a CCL class. Hell, he probably has more training than 98% of the general public when it comes to handling firearms and knowing when it is the right time to fire at someone. He had all of the resources available to him to make the right decision. He let his ego or hatred one of the two make the wrong decision for him.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Im about as hard core conservative as you can get..... really

But you don't shoot someone in the back with out just cause
You are right. Like you, I have a lot of training and tactical classes and one of the first things they teach is there is no defense for shooting someone in the back. For a "legal" shooting you must be in a situation that you fear for your life or that you may suffer "great bodily harm". That's not going to happen if they are running away. In my opinion this LEO has no defense and will be found guilty.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post

Whipping donuts.... Cutting ruts.... Mud riding.... What do y'all call it up north?

just trying to lighten the thread..........donuts, cops.............

Like Id ever drink strawberry coolers...........
Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

He shouldn't have run from the cop. I think we all agree on that.

From what I can see in the video, the cop has zero probable cause to discharge a weapon on this man. The cop never even attempted to chase this man, which even though he was running for his life, wasn't very fast. Toward the end of the scene, before he cuffed the dead guy, he tosses something on the ground that is believed to be his taser. I'm pretty sure this cop knew he was in the wrong immediately but, didn't realize he was being filmed. He's headed to prison for a long time, IMO.

In other news, that town will likely burn tonight when the sun goes down!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Ling

Quote:
just trying to lighten the thread..........donuts, cops.............

Like Id ever drink strawberry coolers...........
Gotcha! Well played!!

I think we've all had our share of cheap liquor!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Scott shouldn't have run, but Slager shouldn't have shot him in the back either. Bad moves all around, and now one is dead, and the other is likely going to prison, where he may end up dead.

Can't believe some people actually believe its right to shoot someone in the back. Bet y'all wouldn't feel the same if that was your family. Guy could have shot him in the leg, or something, to stop him. And 8 shots is unnecessary. He was shooting to kill. He deserves to rot in a jail.

This guy gives the cops that try to do the right thing a bad name.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

The guy was running because he had a warrant for back child support.
\
Old 04-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.3 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:43 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Those are the racist I mentioned in the original post of this thread.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:44 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
The guy was running because he had a warrant for back child support.
\
Not exactly a violent crime.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
How do you know he didn't tell the officer "I'm about to run back to my car and get my gun"?
Yeah, that's probably it.