SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546
Default Boat Registration help/advice.

I'm looking at buying a boat that was last registered in MS in 2014. Is there anything I need, aside from a bill of sale, to make the transaction? Also, it is in LA now and, never been in the water so, the current owner never had it switched over to his name, nor LA. Will this prove problematic?

It's a cool boat and, I'd love to have it but I don't want to buy something that I can't legally use! All advice appreciated!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

that could be easy or a huge can of worms as you fear.

I would forgo any internet advice you get and just go straight to WLF and see what is required for you to be able register it in your name and then see if you can meet those requirements.

off hand, I think it requires a bill of sale from the last registered owner of the boat. so is that something you can get? if you can I don't think you have a problem
Old 02-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 628

I'd definitely make sure that the boat is registered to whomever is selling it to you. If not, you may have a hard time getting the transaction done.

Also, is it just a hull or is it boat, motor, and trailer ?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunduckslayer33 View Post
I'd definitely make sure that the boat is registered to whomever is selling it to you. If not, you may have a hard time getting the transaction done.

Also, is it just a hull or is it boat, motor, and trailer ?
Boat motor and trailer.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Trailer must be done at dmv or title office
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455057696.915789.jpg
Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Boat motor and trailer.
You will need the title on the trailer AND that of the boat. I had a problem buying a boat from Alabama where they do not title trailers. Fortunately, the good Ala. offices specify that very clearly to ease your pains with the gubmint in your state (other than Ala.)
Old 02-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

EEEESHHHHH your in for a hell of a ride........... been there done that. Im not even going to speculate, seems as though the rules are made up they go, but I know I had hell of a time!!

Good luck my friend
Old 02-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Why doesn't he have the boat in his name. At least you will need the bill of sale between him and the current registered owner. Then you will need a bill of sale for you and him. They will all have to be notarized. Then for the trailer you will also need two a bills of sale. You will have to pay taxes and reg fees twice. The WLF is very strict especially if its out of state. I would do your homework before doing this deal.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

I purchased my boat in So. Carlolina.. It was a night mare to get it registered. U'll have to get a notarized letter that U paid UR taxes to school board...(parish). U shouldn't owe taxes if its a used boat being purchased owner to owner. If Miss titles boat, and motor, and trailer.. All tree will have to be titled.

If I were U..... I wouldn't touch an out of state boat again..Espedcially since it hasn't not been registered by the owner.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 709

The guy who has it now can not sign it over to you if he does not own it !!!! I got caught in that spot before had a boat with no papers. Call LWFD and get info from them.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 13

I bought one from Texas, and it was a bit of a pain and took a while but eventually got it done with only having to pay taxes on the trailer at the dmv. If I remember right I needed:

Notarized bill of sale and copy of owners drivers license for the trailer since it had no TX title. Done at dmv, have to pay taxes on the trailer value stated on the bill of sale (I put $200 value, didn't know how low I could get away with).

Notarized bill of sale for hull and motor along with signed titles.

Had to print out a paper from the Louisiana Department of Revenue website and have it signed by the parish tax assessors office showing I didn't owe any local taxes since it was bought from an individual and not a dealer.

I then had to mail all the tax paperwork to LDR, which mailed me the paperwork back showing I owed no state taxes.

Then sent all the necessary paperwork to LDWF and finally got my stickers.

Bought the boat beginning of May, finally got my stickers in the week before teal season, and got checked by the coast guard going down the ICW opening day, so I know I'm good.

Next boat I buy will be a LA one, good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 PM
Redfish

Cash: 365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I bought one from Texas, and it was a bit of a pain and took a while but eventually got it done with only having to pay taxes on the trailer at the dmv. If I remember right I needed:

Notarized bill of sale and copy of owners drivers license for the trailer since it had no TX title. Done at dmv, have to pay taxes on the trailer value stated on the bill of sale (I put $200 value, didn't know how low I could get away with).

Notarized bill of sale for hull and motor along with signed titles.

Had to print out a paper from the Louisiana Department of Revenue website and have it signed by the parish tax assessors office showing I didn't owe any local taxes since it was bought from an individual and not a dealer.

I then had to mail all the tax paperwork to LDR, which mailed me the paperwork back showing I owed no state taxes.

Then sent all the necessary paperwork to LDWF and finally got my stickers.

Bought the boat beginning of May, finally got my stickers in the week before teal season, and got checked by the coast guard going down the ICW opening day, so I know I'm good.

Next boat I buy will be a LA one, good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Bought a new boat in Texas from a dealer so I did owe LDR , plus school board, & DMV taxes, major pain in the ***
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Blue Marlin

Well, as of right now, the boat is still sitting with the guy trying to sell it. I can't make myself pull the trigger on this boat even though he has all the paperwork straightened out.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:19 AM
Blue Marlin

And, thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this matter!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Flounder

Cash: 681

I'd advise to get about 3 or 4 "Duplicate Original", notarized bills of sale, (not zerox copies) particularly for the trailer, stating the exact price for the trailer. And, perhaps separate ones for the hull, and the motor, stating a price on each.

The LA Dept. of Revenue will want taxes paid on the purchase and the bureaucrat insisted I dealt with insisted they KEEP one of them. That would have left me without an original to give to Motor Vehicles. Whatever. It was a pain.

WLF wanted one for the boat, but not the motor, and didn't care about the trailer. When I eventually sold the motor, I had an exact bill of sale into me for it as proof I owned it.

You get the picture. Have over proof of what you are buying, for you don't know what you'll encounter in the future.