SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744
Default Drake gear....?

I finally outgrew my jacket I have been wearing for probably 10 years or so, (yeah I know, get with the program right) and now its time to buy a new one.

I've been looking at the Drake MST Eqwader for around 100 bucks. I know someone on here wears them and I would like to how good they are. I mean, is one of those warm enough with nothing over or under it for hunting down here in Louisiana? Ive read they are good down to 20 degrees without layering. I hunt public land and wade nearly the entire time. Either fixing decoys, putting out decoys, chasing ducks and so on, I always have waders on. The Drake gear is made for wearing under waders, and they are lightweight, I hate the bulk of a jacket. Just wanted to hear what you experts have to say about them.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I got one for my birthday this year from my fiancée. The first time I wore it was last weekend and it worked... While I was working the blind on Sunday I actually started sweating a little. That was in an open field 50 degree weather with a 20mph wind
Old 11-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Get a goose down and be done with it.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Not a total fan of Drake, but that jacket is pretty nice for what it's intended.....
You will get wet if there is a considerable rain or if you are driving the boat in a rain........
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

All my duck hunting gear is Drake. I love it. All I ever wear is my Equader. If it gets really cold(below 35 or so), I have a Drake pull over rain coat that I will put on top and I'm fine. Jacket and Equader were both less than $100/each. I have one of the first Equader that they didn't start using waterproof material, but the new ones are waterproof.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Jackets are top notch but Columbia is even better if you wanna pay a little more green...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:06 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/bro...colorFamily=01

this is perfect for waders.. its like your typical button up but lined with fleece inside. will be suitable for 90% of the hunting days in south LA
Old 11-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopedale Hustler View Post
Jackets are top notch but Columbia is even better if you wanna pay a little more green...
Columbia is definitely better. Just a little too thick for me. My buddy had one of their Widgeon jackets. Been having it for probably 8-9 years. Last year, he sent it back to Columbia. They sent him a brand new Max 4 Widgeon parka. Thats pretty awesome. They are about $300 though.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

been really impressed with Brownings new Dirty Bird stuff.......I have a Columbia that is 18 years old or so now.........just can't beat it, but they new technology is thinner, lighter and warmer
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Drake gear is good stuff. I have serveral items and very happy with it.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,543

I have an EST wader jacket...good jacket just not real waterproof. Don't expect to stay dry in rain.

Now i have a 9-10 year old whitewater DU goretex jacket that was awesome for rain...i stayed dry as a bone in that one..faded now though.

Most do not make jackets with gore-tex anymore i guess its cheaper to use their own tech. and not have to pay gore-tex.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
I have an EST wader jacket...good jacket just not real waterproof. Don't expect to stay dry in rain.

Now i have a 9-10 year old whitewater DU goretex jacket that was awesome for rain...i stayed dry as a bone in that one..faded now though.

Most do not make jackets with gore-tex anymore i guess its cheaper to use their own tech. and not have to pay gore-tex.

I have the pull over. It is like 4-5 years old and it is not water proof (tag did not say it was)...It will keep you dry in a light rain. The newer ones seem a lot nicer. As a few mentioned about Columbia, they make good stuff to at a little lower price vs Drake.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Columbia is more than drake not a little lower...they are proud of their stuff but they are the best in my opinion
Old 11-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Redfish

Cash: 794

Had a Drake EST suit, got soak the first time I wore it, in a light rain. Sent it back and they sent me another one, same thing.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

If you're gonna spend the money, go Columbia. I personally don't anymore. There are so many knockoffs that are almost as good and half the price.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Swordfish

Expensive but Under Armour makes some pretty bad a s s duck hunting gear now.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 557

I have 2 Drake jackets and I like them they don't keep me dry when it rains but they are warm. I Have a Columbia jacket thats ten years old and its still a good jacket. I will try a Under Armour jacket next I'm really starting to like there products every thing that I have bought from them has not disappointed me yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

The best hunting jacket I have ever had was given to me by my cousin two years ago. It was her old goretex Air Force jacket and that thing will keep me dry. I have a pair of drake pants that are breathable and supposed to be waterproof as well. I got them because I couldn't find ANY un-insulated bibs in the area and I really don't care for insulated clothes due to our temps. The pants are comfortable and cool, but far from waterproof. They will keep me dry of the water splashed up above my kneeboots from walking in slop, but thats about it. I will get soaked in a rain and if I sit on a wet bench, I got a wet azz. Unless your getting it for a good deal, I wouldn't get the drake stuff. It's way to expensive, IMO
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Drake is all over tv. Everyone has to have it. Definitely over priced. Not going to lie, i have one only because i lost my old columbia jacket i had for years. Columbia and the more expensive brands really are better. You get what you pay for. Hard to beat a good wool jacket
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

The old cabela's gore tex jackets were the sh**