SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

What part of the lake is productive? I know they got a spot that drops off over 100 foot,but never fished in there.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
What part of the lake is productive? I know they got a spot that drops off over 100 foot,but never fished in there.
That's where the old salt mine collapsed. There's whole barges in that hole.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
That's where the old salt mine collapsed. There's whole barges in that hole.
I figured that...people fish in that deep hole?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
I figured that...people fish in that deep hole?
Not really man, it's wayyyy too deep.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Flounder

Cash: 665

my depth finder goes to 800' and that hole is deeper than that.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Flounder

Cash: 665

I foind the area around the hole from 4 to 20' is the best.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
my depth finder goes to 800' and that hole is deeper than that.
Really? Thats crazy.... I know it got deep where the salt mine blew up but did not think it was THAT deep I was watching a tv show about it a while back and they were saying that the whole canal and vermillion bay was flowing backwards.
!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Really? Thats crazy.... I know it got deep where the salt mine blew up but did not think it was THAT deep I was watching a tv show about it a while back and they were saying that the whole canal and vermillion bay was flowing backwards.
I believe people were working a little more than 1500 ft down in the salt mine.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

It happened at shift change, so there were no people in the mine when it got flooded. Two people that worked for me a few years later.....had been working in the mine on the day shift.

I think max depth was more like 1100 or 1200 feet. It gets hotter the deep the shafts are dug. I have been down to ~ 900 feet in a salt mine, and it was fairly hot.

Texaco was drilling a well. Either the rig was in the wrong place or the mine shaft was not where they thought it was located. When the well drilled into the mine shaft......all hell broke loose.

Yes, the canal flow backwards for many hours. Several barges were sucked down into the mind. When the mine finally filled up.....some of the barges "floated" back up. I think 2 barges never came back up.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
It happened at shift change, so there were no people in the mine when it got flooded. Two people that worked for me a few years later.....had been working in the mine on the day shift.

I think max depth was more like 1100 or 1200 feet. It gets hotter the deep the shafts are dug. I have been down to ~ 900 feet in a salt mine, and it was fairly hot.

Texaco was drilling a well. Either the rig was in the wrong place or the mine shaft was not where they thought it was located. When the well drilled into the mine shaft......all hell broke loose.

Yes, the canal flow backwards for many hours. Several barges were sucked down into the mind. When the mine finally filled up.....some of the barges "floated" back up. I think 2 barges never came back up.
That is wrong information, there were people in the mine when it started flooding but everyone was able to get out. My mom's uncle was working there but was off the week that it happened.

Also, the lowest level of the mine was right around 1,500 ft., the second to lowest level was at around 1,300 ft.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Swordfish

Here are a couple links with some really good information about the incident.

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_...Louisiana.html

Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Did neither of you see Ryan's post?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
get em Tim .... lol
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I'm gonna go somewhere Friday afternoon... Should I drive all the way to big lake or do y'all think the bay will be good?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Sorry Mr Timmy, I thought I posted a different video. It'll never happen again Dinkie
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

That's right!!! Keeping y'all in line!!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

Pasted from www.damninteresting.com/lake-peigneur-the-swirling-vortex-of-doom

As the whirlpool was forming on the surface, Junius Gaddison, an electrician working in the salt mines below, heard a loud, strange noise coming down the corridor. Soon he discovered the sound’s source, which was rushing downhill towards him: fuel drums banging together as they were carried along the shaft by a knee-deep stream of muddy water. He quickly called in the alarm, and the mine’s lights were flashed three times to signal its immediate evacuation. Many of the 50 miners working that morning, most as deep as 1,500 feet below the surface, saw the evacuation signal and began to run for the 1,300 foot level, where they could catch an elevator to the surface. However, when they reached the third level, they were blocked by deep water.
Clearly, the salt dome which contained the mine had been penetrated by the drill crew on the lake. Texaco, who had ordered the oil probe, was aware of the salt mine’s presence and had planned accordingly; but somewhere a miscalculation had been made, which placed the drill site directly above one of the salt mine’s 80-foot-high, 50-foot-wide upper shafts. As the freshwater poured in through the original 14-inch-wide hole, it quickly dissolved the salt away, making the hole grow bigger by the second. The water pouring into the mine also dissolved the huge salt pillars which supported the ceilings, and the shafts began to collapse.
As most of the miners headed for the surface, a maintenance foreman named Randy LaSalle drove around to the remote areas of the mine which hadn’t seen the evacuation signal, and warned the miners there to evacuate. The miners whose escape was slowed by water on the third level used mine carts and diesel powered vehicles to make their way up to the 1,300 foot level, where they each waited their turn to ride the slow, 8-person elevator to the surface as the mine below them filled with water. Although it seemed to take forever to get out, all 50 miners managed to escape with their lives.
Meanwhile, up on the surface, the tremendous sucking power of the whirlpool was causing violent destruction. It swallowed another nearby drilling platform whole, as well as a barge loading dock, 70 acres of soil from Jefferson Island, trucks, trees, structures, and a parking lot. The sucking force was so strong that it reversed the flow of a 12-mile-long canal which led out to the Gulf of Mexico, and dragged 11 barges from that canal into the swirling vortex, where they disappeared into the flooded mines below. It also overtook a manned tug on the canal, which struggled against the current for as long as possible before the crew had to leap off onto the canal bank and watch as the lake consumed their boat.
After three hours, the lake was drained of its 3.5 billion gallons of water. The water from the canal, now flowing in from the Gulf of Mexico, formed a 150-foot waterfall into the crater where the lake had been, filling it with salty ocean water. As the canal refilled the crater over the next two days, nine of the sunken barges popped back to the surface like corks, though the drilling rigs and tug were left entombed in the ruined salt mine.
Despite the enormous destruction of property, no human life was lost in this disaster, nor were there any serious injuries. Within two days, what had previously been an eleven-foot-deep freshwater body was replaced with a 1,300-foot-deep saltwater lake. The lake’s biology was changed drastically, and it became home to many species of plants and fish which had not been there previously.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
That is wrong information, there were people in the mine when it started flooding but everyone was able to get out. My mom's uncle was working there but was off the week that it happened.

Also, the lowest level of the mine was right around 1,500 ft., the second to lowest level was at around 1,300 ft.

Thanks for the correct info.

I was relying on what I was told ~ 20 years ago and my memory, which can get me in trouble. I don't remember being told there were some people in the mind.

Ask your Mom's Uncle if he remembers a Black man named "Ironman". He was strong as an ox and a very good worker.

I have/did not look at the above videos.......I will do that later.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Thanks for the correct info.

I was relying on what I was told ~ 20 years ago and my memory, which can get me in trouble. I don't remember being told there were some people in the mind.

Ask your Mom's Uncle if he remembers a Black man named "Ironman". He was strong as an ox and a very good worker.

I have/did not look at the above videos.......I will do that later.
I know what you mean man, sometimes I can't remember what I did this morning and I'm only 26!!! My mom's uncle passed away quite a few years ago.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

meaux fishing the winds been blowin the water in v-bay might be nasty but u dont know till u go.