SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,457

UL was a great school, I love Lafayette and would not want to live anywhere else.......PM me Fool I have heard some good things about you and would love to put you on some fish.......and oh yea the girls are not bad here either :-)

TB
Old 05-02-2012, 08:53 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

I spent six years of my life attending UL. I graduated in Electrical Engineering in 2010.

Everything that has been said about the women is an understatement. There is no comparison to the nightlife of Lafayette and any other city in the state, with the exception of New Orleans.

The tuition is very reasonable, one of the lowest in the country. Lafayette is not the cheapest place to stay, but if you are a college student and not trying to impress anyone you can rent a decent place for a reasonable price. Just about every department at UL is highly respected in the professional field and the amount of job opportunities in Lafayette are endless.

Just so no one calls me a Homer, I have to admit that parking on campus blows. At the end of every semester before I could schedule for the next semester I would have to go pay all of my parking tickets. They have built two new parking towers since then which should help.

Also, the amount of construction going on on campus right now is unbelievable! I drove through campus last week and was amazed. There are new buildings popping up everywhere.

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is the atmosphere on campus. UL has been voted as one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation for the last several years. The century Oak trees that line St. Mary st. are some of my best memories of walking through campus. The swamp is a cool place to go sit by and have lunch. There are brim, bass, gators, and turtles in the swamp. One simple warning: once you live in Lafayette you will never want to move away.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
I know you do, me too....

This is the longest thread I have ever seen without a fight.

That is because you kno"W" "W"ho has not posted.......
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Y'all need to start calling it UL Lafayette not just UL UL Monroe grad here!

Fool, do NOT choose a college due to women, hunting, or fishing. I failed my first 2 years at La Tech due to duck hunting. I would take that back if I could. You will get an entire month off in December/January to hunt and every weekend for that matter. Its just 4 years of your life, and probably the most important 4 years for that matter. There is plenty of time to hunt/fish. Choose the best college for what you want to do, try and network with people and make sure to get an internship when you get closer to graduating.

Lafayette is chock full of good looking women though
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Y'all need to start calling it UL Lafayette not just UL UL Monroe grad here!
Y'all need to drop back down to DII!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

Quote:
This is a joke but....

After reading this thread you ULL folks can NEVER make fun of any LSU fans for being homers ever again. ULL > Harvard

If your wanting to pursue anything oilfield related....ULL is the ticket. All the majors know this and they recruit at ULL. I was wined and dined by Haliburton and offered a job. Baker Hughes offered me as well among others...and this all before I graduated. I came into a job in Sulphur and it fit my plans at that time so I came back.

Their engineering programs while i was attending were top notch.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Served.....

Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

The swamp outside the union is cool as hell. I wanted to fish that sucker so bad...alligators, turtles, bream, gar, bass, and probably all kinds of other stuff I never noticed. used to feed the squirrels french fries from the cafe...lol fat lil suckers..
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Y'all need to drop back down to DII!

We were winners in DII! All about the money, we beat Bama once!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Considering UL....3 things pulling me towards it over MSU... Fishing Team.. Central Loacation... and obviously the women..
Just my 2 cents here. But out of the 2, I'd go to UL. Both are good schools. Even though Laffy is only an hour away, everyone should leave home for college. UL will give you more of a college experience than McNeese which will prob only feel like a continuation of high school.

Also agree with Sulphite on his views if that is the career path you are looking into.

PS - LSU also has a fishing team.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post

If your wanting to pursue anything oilfield related....ULL is the ticket. All the majors know this and they recruit at ULL. I was wined and dined by Haliburton and offered a job. Baker Hughes offered me as well among others...and this all before I graduated. I came into a job in Sulphur and it fit my plans at that time so I came back.

Do you believe that you would not have been wined and dined by Halliburton or Baker Hughes had you gone to LSU, aTm or any other four year school for that matter? You graduated into an oilfield related major with oil over $100 per barrel. Anyone with a degree that is even remotely related to the oil field right now can get a job it is a hot field. Do you think aTm graduates are having a hard time finding a job right now?

When I graduated in 2000, I had 14 job offers and I stopped taking interviews. Does that mean I would not have had the 14 offers at LSU or Rice or even ULL? Actually had I gone to a better University I bet I would have had even more offers.

ULL as a good school I think is a given. Good school, beautiful campus and women. Great school? Not outside of west Louisiana by most people. Sorry but I think most people still see the state as Tulane, then LSU and then the other tier. In that other tier you find ULL, MSU, SLU, etc... ULL I think is the top notch school in the third tier and there is nothing wrong with that.

You cannot compare ULL to a tier one school. That tier one school cost money and if your goal is to get a good job close to home in most majors that ULL is a fine choice and you will do really well.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
UL Monroe grad here!
PM sent
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,525

Fool, pick your school off of what program you want to go to school for and nothing else...just my opinion.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Man, go where you want, but just because a school is bigger doesn't make it better automatically. A few years ago, the mcneese wildlife program had damn near a 100% employment rate after graduation, most of those in wildlife/environmental. To me, its all about the faculty. Mcneese has great programs. One of the faculty is a world renounded (sp?) crocodilian expert. I've heard the engineering program is one of the tops in the nation, id imagine by way of employment. I don't care what anyone says, big doesn't always mean better. Reason I chose mcneese over LSU or a&m for wildlife is because some biologists with the state said the program was better because of the professor. It's all about what experience you want to get.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripinlips View Post
Fool, pick your school off of what program you want to go to school for and nothing else...just my opinion.
Good advice. Also he is getting a full ride to ULL and that make a huge difference compared to having to pay to go to a big school. Since he has no desire to go out of state and try to climb the corporate ladder, as you guys have said MSU and ULL are very good choices and with O&G as hot as it is, if he goes that route he will probably have a job before his senior year.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Served.....

What was served? Who won that game anyway?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post

Baker Hughes and Haliburton wine and dined Mcneese engineers while I was there as well. I also got wine and dined by citgo too.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
What was served? Who won that game anyway?
Just kiddin around. had to dig hard for those pics lol. We hung in there though. Didnt just hand it over.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Baker Hughes and Haliburton wine and dined Mcneese engineers while I was there as well. I also got wine and dined by citgo too.
Oil and Gas Oil > $100 - Southern University engineers probably got the same treatment.

Supply and demand drives this. There are limited people with a skill set neccessary for oil and gas and demand is at an all time high.

You guys are in the right field, good choice.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Just kiddin around. had to dig hard for those pics lol. We hung in there though. Didnt just hand it over.

You guys did more than hang in, that was a close game. LSU got a cheap 4th quarter touchdown by Ford becuase the game was closer than the score indicated.